C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cabin Heater Coil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:15 AM
NH94vette
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin Heater Coil Leak

My 94 Conv. cabin heater coil is leaking... Where do I start? Do I go under the hood to repair it or do I need to go under the dash??
Old 11-30-2007, 09:12 AM
NEVRL8T
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you mean heater core and you start by tearing half the interior out. The heater core was the first thing GM started with and they built the car around it.

Last edited by NEVRL8T; 11-30-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:51 AM
NH94vette
4th Gear

Ah yes, The "Angle of Death" swoops down and distroys any hope of making this and easy job...Yes "Coil" is right...
Old 11-30-2007, 10:38 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Do a search for the "fast guy method" of repairing the heater core. It is a lot of work, you may want to pay someone to do it.

Good luck
Old 11-30-2007, 10:51 AM
NH94vette
4th Gear

I'm sorry. I'm so busy to day at work today I mis-spelled Angel and wrote coil again instread of core....anyway, it does look like a big task..I haven't found any book information and don't have any of the tech. manuals.
Tx
Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Factory Service Manual FSM.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:35 AM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did this body contortion test a few months ago in my '88. It took about 2 1/2 hours to remove it, and about 2 hours to replace it. I took a day off in between (I'm 6' 5" and 245 lbs). I also was helped by my wife..otherwise I probably would have sold the Car .

I basically used the fast guy method. If I had to do it again, I probably would pay someone to do it, depending on cash flow at the time. The most difficult part is finding the unseen bolts and then replacing them later. If you take your time and have some help, it shouldn't be too bad.

I would have a new core handy and just re and re the same day if possible. Remove it in the morning, have lunch, and then replace it. It is not a technical repair just a slightly difficult one to do, due to the Car being built around the heater core as mentioned, you will understand this once you start the repair.

Good luck and have some cold beverages waiting when your done.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:54 AM
KeyWestJack
Pro

Did it twice, would rather have root canal.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:51 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by KeyWestJack
Did it twice, would rather have root canal.
Or a vasectomy and root canal at the same time.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:43 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

It's a big job, lots of removal of parts to get to it.

BTW I have a used one for sale if you are interested.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:02 PM
aheaton
Heel & Toe

I would NOT recommend using a used heater core. Alldata gives 5.5 hrs for the job, and any tech would not install a used heater core. (In my opinion, that would be like installing a used clutch; sure it might work , but for how long?) You really would not save much money and/or time by doing that. There is also a TSB for the cooling system that stresses the correct mixture of Dex-cool to prevent cooling system corrosion and premature failure. Also beware of electrolysis in the system.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:56 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aheaton
I would NOT recommend using a used heater core. Alldata gives 5.5 hrs for the job, and any tech would not install a used heater core. (In my opinion, that would be like installing a used clutch; sure it might work , but for how long?) You really would not save much money and/or time by doing that. There is also a TSB for the cooling system that stresses the correct mixture of Dex-cool to prevent cooling system corrosion and premature failure. Also beware of electrolysis in the system.
Yeah you are probably right - if you go to all that trouble why not use a brand new one.

Anyone want a paperweight?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Chatman
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 102 Posts

With my thinner son's help, we replaced this last weekend. Also using Fast Guy method. A thinner forearm and smaller hands are very helpful with the upper screws. The photo supplied by Agent 86 was extremely useful as was CFIEFI's advice on using a 3 inch 1/4 extension. I actually used a flexible extension (shaft like very strong spring). With the photo, I was able to put my socket directly on the top driver's side screw first try. I did the repair in 30 minute to 1 hour periods scattered over the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend to avoid frustration. Also avoided keeping an account of total time for same reason.

I recommend that you test the new core before installation using the thinnest inner tube you can find. Cut out a section about a foot long covering either side of the tube's air valve. Carefully attach the ends to the inlet and outlet tube--it is hard to get a good seal. Inflate the tube to about 15 lbs (don't go too high but I don't know what too high is). Put the core under water and look for a stream of bubbles. After finishing the job, I repeated this test with the old core and there was a very small stream of bubbles--I think that I actually hoped to see a larger leak. Weird.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:09 AM
KeyWestJack
Pro

I strongly recommend spending the extra money and get a Delco.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:28 AM
NH94vette
4th Gear

Thanks for all the information. So what is this "Fast Guy Method" and where might I find it on the internet...? Also, By what I've read it looks like I'm going under the dash for this fix..You right so far.. I think I would prefer a root canal...
Old 12-01-2007, 09:01 PM
KeyWestJack
Pro

In terms of difficulty its not that bad, the problem is in the time. You definitely need to get the right tools (very important), have the time (to do some work including the ability to walk away and come back), and label everything, especially the wires (harness) (sharpie and masking tape). Do a search there is a bunch of material on this project. You can count on me to help you via this forum as much as I can. I am sure others will do the same. Jack
Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 PM
radhunter
Advanced

Email me at radhunter@hotmail.com for a complete set of instructions.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:08 AM
SilverBeast
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

This is a two six-pack job. One to drink while you watch someone take it out, and one to drink while you watch someone put it back.

Get notified of new replies

To Cabin Heater Coil Leak

Quick Reply: Cabin Heater Coil Leak