C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

FX3 Shock Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Binski
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FX3 Shock Advice

I recently bought a 93 Ruby Anniversary edition, very original, with 96K miles. It has the FX3 selective ride system. My goal is a good looking, well maintained daily driver. I am in the process of replacing brakes and shocks. I don't thing the FX3 is working, the Service Selective Ride light is on the dash and I can't hear or notice anything when I switch from one setting to another. Also there is no control box behind the drivers seat??? It looks like it will cost about $2000 to replace FX3 actuators and FX3 shocks. My question is how can I tell if the FX3 system has any function and can I replace the FX3 Bilstein shocks with std. Bilstiens without any mods??? Thanks for the help. Jim
Old 11-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Binski
I recently bought a 93 Ruby Anniversary edition, very original, with 96K miles. It has the FX3 selective ride system. My goal is a good looking, well maintained daily driver. I am in the process of replacing brakes and shocks. I don't thing the FX3 is working, the Service Selective Ride light is on the dash and I can't hear or notice anything when I switch from one setting to another. Also there is no control box behind the drivers seat??? It looks like it will cost about $2000 to replace FX3 actuators and FX3 shocks. My question is how can I tell if the FX3 system has any function and can I replace the FX3 Bilstein shocks with std. Bilstiens without any mods??? Thanks for the help. Jim
Hi there. Try this link http://captainzcnc.com/index.html it has a very good diagnostic for the actuators. They are not complex they clip on top of the shock. Usually the culprit is these actuators. Upon start up the FX3 system tests its self by moving the settings back on forth. If you have any errors from one of these acuators you well get the selective ride light failure. So when you think about it those are "four" potential points of failure besides the actual FX3 switch and the FX3 controller. My money on the Actuators. CPT offers a rebuilding service but used front and rear acuators come up from time to time. Also while the shocks changed from 89-91 then 92-95 also explained on this website any used acuator will work. The only differnece is in the cam setting ontop of the shocks. GC

Last edited by Goldcylon; 11-05-2007 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:31 PM
IcemanZ06
Le Mans Master

You actually have two options: 1) replace/repair the existing FX3 system (actuators and shocks) or 2) pull the actuators and shocks off the car and throw on some standard bilstiens or shock of your choice. The previous owner of my vert did #2 and when it comes time to replace the koni's he put on, i'll be going through the page listed above to have my actuators rebuilt and have bilstein rebuild the shocks. YOu DO have options though
Old 11-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Binski
Racer

Thanks, for the advice, will check out the actuators according to the web site.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:04 AM
Daddy J
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the search function and look up posts by C4Cruiser. Use "FX3"
in the "Key Word" box. C4 cruiser is "the man" when it comes to knowledge on FX3 system. You can replace your shocks with new ones for about $680.
Also you might want to check this post by ZO7 Freak http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=fx3+codes
which tells you how to find FX3 trouble shooting codes

Get notified of new replies

To FX3 Shock Advice

Quick Reply: FX3 Shock Advice