C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Why is a simple smog pump becoming a project!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:48 PM
sknight88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is a simple smog pump becoming a project!

What a headache! The bearing went out in my 89 and started screaming. So, well, lets just say after a half dozen trips and 4 different stores I still dont have a pump. Seems the replacments come with way smaller and wimpier bolts and dont allow my pulley/bolts.
So I went over to Eklunds, there pump matches all the ones Ive been getting, and then has a note that it must be used with a a pulley that says its for a 86. Then in a small window is a picture of the 87-91 pulley, which is what I have. But that one doesnt work.
I know someone mentioned yanking the pump and theres a pulley replacement, but I have enough issues and dont need to add more codes etc!
I guess Im junk yard bound! Anyone else battle this simple issue? Oh, and the dealer says its discontinued. Great, thanks Chevy
Old 10-06-2007, 04:49 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't think the pump is gonna set codes.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:27 PM
LKoncar
Melting Slicks

Delete it!! Unless you live in Cali. Fill out your profile
Old 10-06-2007, 06:04 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

Pull out all that air crap. Not worth the time.

Before you do anything, I just ripped mine out of my 90. If you want it, pay for shipping and I'll send you the entire mess.

The little black box, the pump, pully, bracket, everything.

It's sitting my my garbage pail, I'm traveling for work all week.

Let me know ASAP if you want it, or it goes out.

Again, just pay shipping and it's yours.

Last edited by jsup; 10-06-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:05 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

Originally Posted by bogus
I don't think the pump is gonna set codes.
It might, that magic black box has two leads that go to it, that I suspect will throw codes.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:07 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There are no Codes for the Air Pump but it does help light off the O2.

NAPA has a stocking # which is where I bought my last one, but that was a number of Years ago.

Couldn't find one at www.acdelco.com which is surprising given that these things are bread butter items for them.

You could try web searches at the other Discounters - Autozone, etc - take your pulley with you when shopping.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No codes and it doesnt affect driveability either. I took mine off earlier this year and all the wiring/tubing that goes with it. I left the pump on there and just tore out all the insides, lol. $150 for a replacement bracket is stupid.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:46 PM
AdoptAVette
Intermediate

IF you really want to replace it you can get one from Autozone. The part number is 32-430. I just got one for mine and it fits perfectly.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:11 PM
sknight88
Advanced

Originally Posted by jsup
Pull out all that air crap. Not worth the time.

Before you do anything, I just ripped mine out of my 90. If you want it, pay for shipping and I'll send you the entire mess.

The little black box, the pump, pully, bracket, everything.

It's sitting my my garbage pail, I'm traveling for work all week.

Let me know ASAP if you want it, or it goes out.

Again, just pay shipping and it's yours.

Sounds good to me, this way I have some options. Send me a paypal addy and its on its way.

I did try Autozone first, they were getting one from the warehouse and never came thru. Then it was, Napa, dealer, advance auto, Napa again! Uggh! I would gut it, but I assume the pulley runs on a bearing right?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:17 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sknight88
Sounds good to me, this way I have some options. Send me a paypal addy and its on its way.

I did try Autozone first, they were getting one from the warehouse and never came thru. Then it was, Napa, dealer, advance auto, Napa again! Uggh! I would gut it, but I assume the pulley runs on a bearing right?
I don't have Pay Pal. I had a problem with them last year, canceled it, closed the account. They suck.

I'll pull it out of the garbage tomorrow.

I'll let you know what shipping is, just settle up later.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:37 PM
sknight88
Advanced

Ok, sent you the addy on your PM, thanks again, Shawn
Old 10-06-2007, 10:45 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,966 Posts

It might, that magic black box has two leads that go to it, that I suspect will throw codes.
No it will not. At startup, it sends all the air to the headers near the head and during running it sends air to the cat, IIRC. I think that is the order. So, your O2 sensor is pre-cat and before it gets hot enough, the readings don't matter. So, even if it starts up and does or doesn't dump air into the headers, what does it matter?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:53 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aklim
No it will not. At startup, it sends all the air to the headers near the head and during running it sends air to the cat, IIRC. I think that is the order. So, your O2 sensor is pre-cat and before it gets hot enough, the readings don't matter. So, even if it starts up and does or doesn't dump air into the headers, what does it matter?
It takes air FROM the headers and dumps it to the cat when cold.

When the car is warm, it dumps air out a tube with a round end. It's just a real PIA.

Once everything is working, I'm cutting those two wires short.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:57 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,966 Posts

When the car is warm, it dumps air out a tube with a round end. It's just a real PIA.
I wasn't sure about the order of the dump but if that were true, what does the pump send the air to? Not sure. It has been so long that the system "rusted away" that I cannot remember. I know it pumps air to the cat but not sure about the rest.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:00 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Originally Posted by aklim
I wasn't sure about the order of the dump but if that were true, what does the pump send the air to? Not sure. It has been so long that the system "rusted away" that I cannot remember. I know it pumps air to the cat but not sure about the rest.
There's a tube that comes off the magic black box that goes in front of the water pump. It terminates into a canister looking thing about 1.5 inches in diameter and about 3/4 inches high. The tube going to it is about 1/2 inch in diameter.

After the car warms up, it just dumps there.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:59 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Air pump is used (to this day, only the latest and greatest is spun by an electric motor) to help light off the O2 which gets it to Closed Loop. If you think it's efficient to run in open loop, do what some of the Ricer's do and cut the wire to the O2 and put a piece of tape across the Check Engine Light. After Closed Loop - and for the Earlier Years - air is redirected to the CAT where the afterburner effects eats up what's left of the HC's and CO. During Decel, when a bunch of fuel can enter the exhaust stream, the switching valve(s) pumps the air overboard, otherwise it'll backfire the mufflers off the car. Learn what it does and how it works and you may not find it so intrusive (or better yet, find something - other than electric propulsion - that eliminates it altogether. The OEM's will make you very rich).
Old 10-08-2007, 04:29 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Once everything is working, I'm cutting those two wires short.
The only time it pumps air to the engine is when the system is very rich, it does this to prevent damaging the cat. It pumps to the headers and cat in open loop, cat only during closed loop. My cat lights the fuel just fine during decel with no smog pump. I hear it because I removed the mufflers.

If you remove the plumbing, you'll need some 1/2" NPT pipe caps to plug the smog tubes on the headers. I plugged the air tube on the cat by pounding a bolt into it.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 10-08-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is a simple smog pump becoming a project!

Quick Reply: Why is a simple smog pump becoming a project!