C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Aftermarket keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Default Aftermarket keyless entry

Will an aftermarket keyless entry work with the factory alarm on my
'85? I'm considering buying a kit but was wondering if the alarm would trigger when the remote unlocks the door.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:38 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

There are kits available that will work with the factory system. I'm using a Bulldog unit and I know the GM universal one works.
CentralCoaster has a good write up on his site, for the GM one.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Thanks 86, Bulldog is the brand I was looking at.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:15 PM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The '85 system (pre VATS) arms and disarms only with the door lock switches - on the back of the door lock tumblers. Only when you lock a door from Outside with the key does the alarm activate, and only when you Unlock a door from the outside with a key does it disarm.

The factory alarm does not care what happens with the Power lock solenoids, switches or relay.

That said - any aftermarket keyless entry system will work fine on an 85 with no factory alarm issues. The cheap JC Whitney unit I wired into mine 7 years ago works great...
Old 12-06-2007, 09:29 PM
ixlor8
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Alarm with keyless entry

Aftermarket Alarm with keyless entry installation

What do you need to do to the factory alarm system in an 84-85 Corvette? I would like to install an aftermarket alarm with keyless entry.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:03 PM
87 rag
Drifting

I don't think I have locked the doors on my car more than 3 times in the three years I have had it.
I figure if someone wants in bad enough they are going to get in so i just leave the doors unlocked and they don't need to break or cut anything.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ixlor8
Aftermarket Alarm with keyless entry installation

What do you need to do to the factory alarm system in an 84-85 Corvette? I would like to install an aftermarket alarm with keyless entry.
Check the J.C. Whitney website or most any auto parts store for the kits. However try to make sure the kit has everything you need to do the install. Some kits need extra components you have to buy to install them.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 rag
I don't think I have locked the doors on my car more than 3 times in the three years I have had it.
I figure if someone wants in bad enough they are going to get in so i just leave the doors unlocked and they don't need to break or cut anything.
Thats very thoughtful of you...

where are you located???

DG

Old 12-06-2007, 11:48 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Over the summer i ordered and installed a factory VKE1000 keyless entry system. It was $100. Well spent!! It works perfectly with the factory alarm system, and it has a pretty decent range. It also has GM style remotes which make me feel special . Installation was a PITA. Agent86 and Central Coaster were very helpful when it came to answering questions about my install... thanks again guys,

DG
Old 12-07-2007, 12:19 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Do not try and integrate a keyless system with the factory alarm. Throw the factory alarm in the garbage and start from scratch with a complete new system.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the alarm, it can work perfectly with the keyless, but only after pulling some hair out and wiring in extra relays.

Danspeed, does your system arm if you use the keyless to lock the doors with the doors shut? Does the alarm still trip if you arm it then reach in, unlock it at the inner door switch then open the door?
Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 AM
convas
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 87 rag
Are you covered by insurance for theft in this case, here if they find out you left the car unlocked they can deny the claim.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Do not try and integrate a keyless system with the factory alarm. Throw the factory alarm in the garbage and start from scratch with a complete new system.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the alarm, it can work perfectly with the keyless, but only after pulling some hair out and wiring in extra relays.

Danspeed, does your system arm if you use the keyless to lock the doors with the doors shut? Does the alarm still trip if you arm it then reach in, unlock it at the inner door switch then open the door?
IT would if i had the time to wire in the extra relays....

When i get out i just hit the lock button on the way out the door and its good to go. If you break the window and jump in the car won't start and the alarm sounds if you open the door. good enough for me.

DG
Old 12-07-2007, 01:28 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

At least it disarms the factory alarm...

I've seen quite a few "free installs" where after hitting the button they still had to use the key to disarm the system.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:34 AM
87 rag
Drifting

Originally Posted by convas
Are you covered by insurance for theft in this case, here if they find out you left the car unlocked they can deny the claim.
I have no idea but I don't leave valuables in the car either.

I'm almost never in a situation where the car is being left where I would worry about it.

Honestly I would likely lock the car a lot more often if I had keyless entry.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
At least it disarms the factory alarm...

I've seen quite a few "free installs" where after hitting the button they still had to use the key to disarm the system.
Nope, works great! The VKE is just another suggestion.... in reality its actually dated technology, theres so many better systems out there. I just liked it because i thought it was a simpler install compared to the rest of the systems out there because it was made for the car, and I liked the Factory GM remotes that came with it. Now that it is winter here I am so glad that i have it. Normally my locks would freeze leaving me to walking, or buming a ride.

I had a friend a while back who had a monte carlo and decided to have a remote start system wired in. I could never understand why but he had to have the key in the ignition for the remote start to work. So he would have to leave the key in overnight just so he didn't have to walk out in the morning to start the car.

DG
Old 04-07-2008, 08:40 AM
ixlor8
Pro

Default Keyless entry with Factory Alarm

A 84-85 Corvette can use a keyless Remote Security System Audiovox AA925. This can be added to the factory alarm in the car. To do this you will need one additional relay to disable the factory alarm while unlocking the door. An additional relay can be added for the extra channel on the remote to open the glass hatch.

Most of the wiring is completed in the driverside door. Ignition and power is located under the steering column.

The complete job cost about $70.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:31 AM
anchami79
Instructor

Originally Posted by rons85
The '85 system (pre VATS) arms and disarms only with the door lock switches - on the back of the door lock tumblers. Only when you lock a door from Outside with the key does the alarm activate, and only when you Unlock a door from the outside with a key does it disarm.

The factory alarm does not care what happens with the Power lock solenoids, switches or relay.

That said - any aftermarket keyless entry system will work fine on an 85 with no factory alarm issues. The cheap JC Whitney unit I wired into mine 7 years ago works great...
That's not correct. The alarm will not arm if you use the key. It will only arm if you use the power lock button or both manual locks (inside the vehicle).

This is straight from my '85 owner's manual:

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket keyless entry

Old 04-07-2008, 11:44 AM
ixlor8
Pro

So it sound like the only way to activate the alarm system in a 84-85 Corvetter is to use the power door lock switch located on the drivers door. So while the door is open, and your ready to get out, you will lock the doors. This activate the alarm.

While the car is locked, you will need to place the key in the tumbler to open. This will deactivate the alarm.

So if you close your door, place key in lock, and turn key to lock door. The alarm will not be on. It can only be done with the power lock switch located on the door panel.

Is this correct?
Old 04-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ixlor8
So it sound like the only way to activate the alarm system in a 84-85 Corvetter is to use the power door lock switch located on the drivers door. So while the door is open, and your ready to get out, you will lock the doors. This activate the alarm.

While the car is locked, you will need to place the key in the tumbler to open. This will deactivate the alarm.

So if you close your door, place key in lock, and turn key to lock door. The alarm will not be on. It can only be done with the power lock switch located on the door panel.

Is this correct?
Yes you are correct, the only way to arm the system is by using the power locks on the inside. When you shut off the car you'll notice that the Security light is blinking on the dash and it will stay on when you use the power locks, thus showing that the alarm is active.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Any consensus on the best system for an 85

The Audiovox mentioned above? I am not too concerned about the horn, I mean, if someone wants the car bad enough they can have it, that why I have insurance,, for upgrading to a new one

Quick Reply: Aftermarket keyless entry