C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LS motor in a C4

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 05:54 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Demonic85
What i'm saying is that Gen 1 parts (not LT1) are cheap and plentiful. I believe that the same power can be made for cheaper on a Gen 1 SBC. However, the LSx engines are more efficient and thus that power will be easier on the street and gas mileage.

Its the high cost of buying a LSx engine and then having to upgrade it, ouch.
So you think that you can make the same power for cheaper on a Gen 1 SBC vs an LSx based motor? How do you figure that?

Are you including the gas mask for the big cubic inch Gen 1's for the price?

Last edited by 88BlackZ-51; 12-20-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:10 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
So you think that you can make the same power for cheaper on a Gen 1 SBC vs an LSx based motor? How do you figure that?
I'm curious too, remember demonic, the LSx doesn't start at the 235 that your l98 starts at...
Old 12-20-2007, 06:43 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Take a look at the blower build I'm doing

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1862873
Old 12-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CRV3TT3
Why not just throw a blower on the lt4? Cheap horsepower and its an easy install!

...i am however rather biased! lol
I have a track car. Blower + track = hot hot hot. Keeping a car cool with forced induction is really, really hard.

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
Have you guys figured out how to mate up a ZF6 yet?
I can tell you exactly what you need to make it up to a ZF6: Custom smaller flywheel, bellhousing, and starter. Not sure about the actual clutch itself. Input shaft is too short. There are too many issues to deal with.

Don't hold your breathe; I don't think it's going to happen.

Originally Posted by Demonic85
What i'm saying is that Gen 1 parts (not LT1) are cheap and plentiful. I believe that the same power can be made for cheaper on a Gen 1 SBC. However, the LSx engines are more efficient and thus that power will be easier on the street and gas mileage.

Its the high cost of buying a LSx engine and then having to upgrade it, ouch.
I think you are 100% wrong. Iron 6.0L used is about $1000. L92 heads $179 bare a piece from GMPartsDirect. Add L92 intake manifold ($450 with injectors and throttle body), and a big cam, and you have close to 500 RWHP. No regular SBC can touch that with 23 degree heads!

All the big power SBC's are 18 degree (or lower...) heads. The great thing about LSx parts is they are already 15.5 degree OR LOWER. Let that sink it: $179 15 degree heads. Find me any low angle SBC head that is that cheap.

LSx makes the mad power from the low valve angle. Sure, you can put low angle heads on an SBC, but LSx has these parts from the factory. Yes, the upfront cost of an LSx swap is higher, but you CAN NOT build as much power for cheap with an SBC.

Read this: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ads/index.html
Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 PM
0Speed Hound
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
I received a brochure from ProCharger. They charge $5K+ for a C4supercharger kit. Have anyone done this, is a $5k Supercharge worth it.
Let me know if you want some prices on this as I am a Procharger dealer as well. Depending on your goals and the intended purpose of the car, a supercharger can be the best thing you could possibly do. It just depends. Don't throw this thread off topic though please. PM me or I am sure a search will provide a lot of info and even more opinions.

Demonic, I'm still going to disagree with you when it comes to strictly power per dollar figures. If you start calculating conversion costs into the equation, in certain cases you will be better off money wise staying with a SBC. However, Pat has proved that you can do the LS1 swap for very cheap with his C3. I believe he is right at the $2000 mark for just the LS1 conversion and he is EFI not carbed. You really just have to examine each build on an individual basis in order to determine what is the best way to obtain the goal.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:51 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

23 degree tech is defintely closing the gap a bit but with the LS you can make more tons of power with good reliability, drveability and be more efficient. There are tons of these motors floating around and awesome aftermarket support. Dont pass up the opp. to do it if you can.

Quick Reply: LS motor in a C4