C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LS motor in a C4

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:33 AM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Hound
I'd have to say if I was starting with an LT4 car, I would stay with it. The only way I wouldn't is if my goals and desires could not be met by using the LT4. My goals and desires aren't such that a properly built LT4 couldn't meet them in 90% of cases

Have you thought about turbocharging the LT4? That would turn heads and make really nice power.

Also, personally I am not gaga over the LS7. You can build an LS2 for a lot less and make more power than a stock LS7. That could make this swap a lot more justifiable to you.
I use the car for autocrossing (trying to compete with LS6 & 7 cars) and some track time but I want it to be drivable. I have seen people get big cubes from a gen II small block but loose drivability. Maybe I'm asking for too much.

Last edited by GS023; 10-02-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:41 AM
dchildress
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dchildress
I was under the impression the LS7 motor is pretty big and wide and barely fit in the C5/C6 chasis.
I was not sure. I have a couple of customer's with new C6s and one of them told me the block on the LS7 was much bigger. Guess I got my answer.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

The basic problem with swapping in an LS7 is the $15K price tag for the motor. You can find a nice LS2 for around $3K with most of the accessories. Both the LS7 and the LS2/3 are going to be a major project installing them into a C4.

Another much more sane engine swap choice for a C4 is the Chevy ZZ383 motor. (Most everything will bolt right up.) The ZZ383 is under $5k brand new with warranty from Scoggin Dickey and has 425hp. Add headers, K&N air filter, injectors, and a good tune and you can easily equal the 505HP of a LS7.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Also, personally I am not gaga over the LS7. You can build an LS2 for a lot less and make more power than a stock LS7. That could make this swap a lot more justifiable to you.
Repeat after me:

Dry sump...dry sump...dry sump...

That's the ticket, my friend.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:37 PM
0Speed Hound
Former Vendor

very true. I did not know this was going to be a car that saw track time. If that is the case, dry sump is a huge consideration. Power per dollar though, LS2 will get you there for less.

Joe, I think really what you need to do is step back and think what do I need power/torque wise to be happy or reach a goal. Then from there decide what route to take with an engine. Also, keep any rules in mind if that is the type of racing you might get into.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Power for cheap: 6.0L Iron block (yes, not as light, but cheap!), get L92 top end from Chevy (heads and intake are also cheap), add a decent size cam, and you are knocking on 500 hp.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:58 PM
0Speed Hound
Former Vendor

quite Mojave, you're giving away my next project's secrets.

The more I am involved in all this craziness we call the car hobby, the more I am simply interested in driving and enjoying my cars. Yes, an LS2 would be nice to say you have and to own but a built 6.0 iron block is so easy and cheap. I'd rather go down the road making great power to help move all that extra money I have in my pocket from not buying an AL block. To each his own though. You certainly will not go wrong choosing an iron block or an aluminum block
Old 12-19-2007, 04:38 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by hardlight
It looks like Corvette Fever magazine and MAM are blowing a bizzilion $ on a threadbare C-4 Project. They are installiing a 5.3 iron block truck engine in it, but that's basically the same genarics as the Aluminum series. I stumbled upon it behind one of the trailers and tents at Funfest last friday a week ago and took these pictures of the engine going in so far. They have removed the body so its bare @ssed naked and you can see everything.

so there you are...pictures are better than imagination

Am I wrong? Your LSX C4 does not have A/C?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:42 PM
86GoldProject
Pro

It sure doesn't in that picture.. doesn't mean it won't be added later though..
Old 12-19-2007, 06:09 PM
LTxDave
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Vito.A
Another much more sane engine swap choice for a C4 is the Chevy ZZ383 motor. (Most everything will bolt right up.) The ZZ383 is under $5k brand new with warranty from Scoggin Dickey and has 425hp. Add headers, K&N air filter, injectors, and a good tune and you can easily equal the 505HP of a LS7.
You're not going to pick up 80 HP on a ZZ383 with any of those mods listed. I'd be surprized if it is not rated with headers and a very high flowing filter.

I agree with the fellow that said you should stick with the LT4. If you're looking for more 'grunt' from the car, go with some 4.10 gears and then you'll have more grunt than the tires can stand. I've driven an LS7 and it does not seem to have more 'grunt' than my stock LT4 with 4.10's. It will pull like a freight train once it starts moving though. For the expense and trouble of swapping an LS7, you could have something similar to my build and be making much more HP than a stock LS7.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've driven LS1 cars before and have to say that i'm not impressed with the stock power. I've seen where some mods can shoot the numbers through the roof but those parts are crazy expensive. I think its a different direction that you may want to research. More to it than just horsepower.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:21 PM
0Speed Hound
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Demonic85
I've driven LS1 cars before and have to say that i'm not impressed with the stock power. I've seen where some mods can shoot the numbers through the roof but those parts are crazy expensive. I think its a different direction that you may want to research. More to it than just horsepower.
You can do heads/cam on an LS for the same price or less than heads/cam on an LT1. The LSx motors are not expensive any more if you shop around or don't go after the latest and greatest. For instance, buying a used LS6 over a late LS1 when you're planning heads/cam anyway does not make much sense. It could save a thousand or more to buy the LS1.

PLRX, the car will have AC when it is done. I just hope it won't be horrible to make it fit. I plan to put a Sanden compressor on the top passenger side like the L98s

Last edited by Speed Hound; 12-19-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Demonic85
I think you are totally off base. Ported 5.3L heads are really cheap, and a good upgrade for LS1's. Like a said, an iron 6.0L with L92 heads can be built for very cheap, and will make BIG power.

LSx power is the cheapest kind; the most expensive part is getting the motor in the car.

What else is there other than power for an engine? I can't imagine any reason to keep an LT1/4 or L98 over an LSx other than the cost of installation. After that, it IS cheaper to go fast.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:52 PM
CRV3TT3
Burning Brakes

Why not just throw a blower on the lt4? Cheap horsepower and its an easy install!

...i am however rather biased! lol
Old 12-19-2007, 11:15 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey thanks for posting the pictures of C4orce. That's the first time I have seen the seats. The car left the shop the week before Carlisle with no seats and I haven't seen it since. I hope to have it back with me sometime next week.

As I am sure some of you that have seen the car know, we are spending more money on it than is necessary to get the LSx into a C4. I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to do some dress up work to make it look better. As such, items like using braided hose and fittings for the heater hoses is not necessary. It just looks much better this way to me. I hope others agree. The car is very far from complete even under the hood. We needed to get the car drivable so many temporary parts are on the car. Case in point, the wiring harness for the engine is the modified truck harness that came with the engine. We will be using a completely new one built from scratch for the final assembly. Also that filter will not be sitting on the end of the TB like that.

Back to the original topic. There are many threads on this subject that cover a great deal of the basics and will help answer many questions. Costs are no where near as high as people who have not done this swap will claim. It simply depends on how you go about it. It also greatly depends on what year car you are starting with. The later cars will be harder to deal with due to the different, ie more, computer issues. If you have a ZF, at this time the only solution is replacement. It simply will not fit behind an LSx motor. We are trying to work on a solution. We know what needs to be done. It is simply a matter of can it be done without getting a custom one off piece made. We will let you know if we come up with a solution.

An LSx swap can be done and I believe it's 100% worth it.
Have you guys figured out how to mate up a ZF6 yet?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:24 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jerkyboy
I gotta say that I would be interested. The driveability of some of the latest LSx motors that are making 500rwhp is simply amazing. My 434 is plenty strong but no way will it pass emissions and its very unhappy in DC traffic.
You thinking of ditching the Gen1 SBC?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:36 AM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I just like watching the LSX build, because a boy can dream right?

Get notified of new replies

To LS motor in a C4

Old 12-20-2007, 03:37 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I received a brochure from ProCharger. They charge $5K+ for a C4supercharger kit. Have anyone done this, is a $5k Supercharge worth it.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
I received a brochure from ProCharger. They charge $5K+ for a C4supercharger kit. Have anyone done this, is a $5k Supercharge worth it.
Just FYI, but the forum supports multiple threads.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can do heads/cam on an LS for the same price or less than heads/cam on an LT1. The LSx motors are not expensive any more if you shop around or don't go after the latest and greatest. For instance, buying a used LS6 over a late LS1 when you're planning heads/cam anyway does not make much sense. It could save a thousand or more to buy the LS1.

PLRX, the car will have AC when it is done. I just hope it won't be horrible to make it fit. I plan to put a Sanden compressor on the top passenger side like the L98s
What i'm saying is that Gen 1 parts (not LT1) are cheap and plentiful. I believe that the same power can be made for cheaper on a Gen 1 SBC. However, the LSx engines are more efficient and thus that power will be easier on the street and gas mileage.

Its the high cost of buying a LSx engine and then having to upgrade it, ouch.

Quick Reply: LS motor in a C4