C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

89 service ride select?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:47 PM
zigzags
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 service ride select?

Hi everyone.
I am writing in hopes that some one can help me..You guys are great and helped me with my last problem..Ok so my 1989 vette was running extreamly ruff and to make a long story short a couple of helpful people on these forums told me to replace the computer so I did. All problems solved..

I now have a light that says service ride select that stays on. I took the car to the dealer ship and payed $100. and they told me that all 4 shocks and the ride control mdule are non responcive and to replace it all.
Is this even posible to blow 4 shocks at once? They also told me the shocks are front=$791.0/ea backs=1036./ea and the module they don't even have a price. Oh ya one more thing they told me all the parts above are discontinued. They don't even think they can get them..

Please help me..
Thank you so much for your time.
ZiG's

Last edited by zigzags; 09-29-2007 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:47 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The dealer is feeding you an entire boatload of Most techs at Chevy dealers today don't know much about older Corvettes and their "solution" is simply to replace parts until things start to work again.

I'm not sure what the diagnostic procedure is for an 89 but the FX3 system will have error codes saved in the computer. We need to see those codes in order to help you out. The dealer techs should have at least follwed the service manual procedures to find the error code or codes. You $100 was probably for only one hour worth of diagnostic time and I would bet that a tech didn't spend more than 10-15 minutes on the car.

There is no way that the work you did would cause any of the shocks or the actuators to be "ruined" much less the contorller.

It could be nothing more than a loose wire in one of the harness connectors at the computer.

Don't go back to the dealer

One other thing that you should do is to fill out your member profile even if it's nothing more than the city and state or province where you live. Sometimes other members will offer to help by showing up or members can recommend a place to go for service in your area.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 09-29-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out this site for basic info re: FX3. It's doesn give info on how to retreive codes, but I'm sure another member will be able to help in that regard. Assume you checked the fuses, etc?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:46 PM
super89
Racer

http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/ecm.htm
This website will show you how to access codes by jumping two of the pins on the ALDL connector. The car will then flash the codes to you through the trouble light. Example: Code 14 would be flash, pause, flash flash flash flash. Then it would pause a little longer and then flash the next code if there is one. It'll repeat itself, just in case you miss it the first time. My '89 actually throws all the codes on the FX3. Replaced the little black box, but that didn't fix anything, so I just disconnected it. I think a wire is pinched or cut somewhere. Anyway, hope you have better luck than me, and if you get the codes, post them and we'll translate.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:56 PM
zigzags
Advanced

Default Thank you

Thank you all so much!!
I will do everything you recomend and more. I will fill out my member profile in hopes that some one will be able to atleast point me to a shop I can trust. I will also get those codes and post them for you right away..

Thank you!!
ZiG's
Old 09-29-2007, 10:02 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

To acces the FX3 Selective Ride Control codes, jumper pins A and C as described in the link super89 provided.

FX3 code numbers that will be displayed are also used for driveability error codes so it's important to not confuse them. The sequence of flashes is the same as the link describes so you will see a Code 12 three times at the start of the code display followed by Code 12 three times at the end of any error codes.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:33 PM
zigzags
Advanced

Default my codes

Hi all
I did what you asked me for. I updated my members section and I got the codes I checked them 3 times and here they are..13,14,21,22,23,41,42,43,31,32,33,34 .
I hope this helps, they are french to me..
Thank you so much for helping me. If I need to do anything eles to help please just let me know..

Thank you
ZiG's
Old 09-30-2007, 06:54 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Well, you have all of the codes being reported!

I would start by clearing the codes and driving the car for about 15 minutes to see if any codes come back.

To clear the codes, turn the ignition to "RUN" but don't start the engine. Using the paper clip you used to retrieve the codes, ground pin "C" to pin "A" for two seconds, remove the clip and repeat two more time for a total of three times.

With the codes gone, go for a drive to see if the SRC light comes back on. Change the selector switch to each position while driving. If the light comes back on, pull the codes again when you get back.

Sometimes even jump starting the car or a battery charge can set SRC codes. Make sure the battery has a full charge and check the FX3 controller to make sure that the wire connectors have not come loose. The controller is behind the driver's seat under the lid on the floor of the rear storage compartment.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:14 PM
super89
Racer

Mine did the same thing, kept throwing all the codes at once. I tried replacing the black box, I checked the switch, never did figure it out.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Daddy J
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's some info that maybe helpful to you.
The original FX3 adjustable shocks were made by Bilstein. You can get a new set of Bilstein FX3 shocks from several sources. I got mine from www.shox.com for $699 for a set of 4. They also have new actuators.

Bilstein used to have a service that could rebuild and revalve your old Bilstein shocks. http://www.bilstein.com/ However I bought new ones as they come with a better guarantee than the rebuilds

One of the forum members fixes broken actuators. http://www.captainzcnc.com/

There are 2 different sets of FX3 shocks. One for the 89-91 models and a set for the 92 -95 models. If ordering make sure you order the right set. They look exactly the same.. just the valving is different.

C4cruiser is the "Man" when it comes to knowledge on the FX3 system. His past posts really helped me out.

Use the "Search" function and do an "Advanced" search. In the "Key Word" box use FX3 and in the "User Name" box put C4cruiser. Look up C4cruiser's posts in the archives and also use the words FX3. That should get you a lot of info on the FX3 system.

The FX3 systems is really nice when you get it working right. I rebuilt mine last year and it made a big difference in the ride.

Replacing you shocks is fairly easy to do yourself. If you don't already have one I'd invest in a Shop Manual for your model year. You can get one at www.helminc.com While the manual isn't cheap in the long run it will save you big money. Mine paid for itself on the first fix I did. Even if you don't do the work yourself the shop manual is handy to have for reference for either you or the mechanic that works on your car.

Last edited by Daddy J; 10-01-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:44 AM
zigzags
Advanced

Default I tryed clearing the codes

Hi guy's.
I tryed clearing the codes the way you asked me to but they don't clear. I have done exactly what you sugested at least 10 times lol
Should I start buying parts like shocks? Or what would you like me to do?
Thank you very much for the link on the shocks if I have to buy new ones that will save me a lot of money.

Thank you all for continueing to help me!!

Please let me know what you would like me to do next..

Thank you
ZiG's
Old 10-02-2007, 02:16 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sometimes you have to try clearing them a few times for it to take. Ive done mine 4 times and its still lit. (No codes).
Old 10-02-2007, 09:17 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Keep trying to clear the codes. I don't see any reason to buy new stuff at this time.

If the paper clip method does't work, then you may need to have a shop clear them. A GM Tech-1 Scan Tool with the brake module attached to it is needed to clear the codes That's what the dealership would do. Also check with a reputable auto repair shop in your area.

Head to the Canadian Events section and ask there if members who live near you could recommend a shop. Got to be somebody in Calgary that does good work. Scan tools like those made by Snap-On or MAC should have the capability to clear the codes for you.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:13 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

BTW: FX3 shocks are about $220/ea

If you find that a shock or actuator are bad.. just unplug the actuators. You may want to test the shocks depending on milage (pull one off and shove it to the ground, if it gives easily, replace it)

I replaced all mine a while back with regular Z51 style Bilsteins. $60/ea was MUCH better than replacing the dang FX3 shocks. That system is kind of a waste anyway IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To 89 service ride select?

Quick Reply: 89 service ride select?