C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cooling fan trick

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 12:38 AM
Dads90
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cooling fan trick

I've exhausted myself searching for thread containing a post with a trick to read the temp programmed to turn on the fan. You use the A/C up and down to find the setting. Can somebody help.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:50 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't you just use the temp guage on cluster?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:52 AM
GS4-LT1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure what you are asking? Are you trying to find the exact temp the fans kick in at? What do you mean by the A/C up and down?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

.......agreed.....i am a bit confused at what he is asking about also
Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 PM
AdoptAVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you can get the temp when the ECM will turn on the fans. But you can get the degree celcius reading that the ECM uses to monitor. The sequence is: (copied from a previous thread)

Hold down both the up and down arrows on the heater fan control for 10-15 seconds. The heater fan control display should go to 00 after you've held both buttons down long enough. Once it says 00, use the up arrow to cycle to number 16, then press the button with the picture of the fan on it. That should show you what the ECM is seeing for coolant temperature, in degrees C. The computer uses a different sensor than the dash mounted gauge, and the dash mounted gauge (at least the one in my 91) isn't very accurate.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Dads90
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdoptAVette
I don't think you can get the temp when the ECM will turn on the fans. But you can get the degree celcius reading that the ECM uses to monitor. The sequence is: (copied from a previous thread)

Hold down both the up and down arrows on the heater fan control for 10-15 seconds. The heater fan control display should go to 00 after you've held both buttons down long enough. Once it says 00, use the up arrow to cycle to number 16, then press the button with the picture of the fan on it. That should show you what the ECM is seeing for coolant temperature, in degrees C. The computer uses a different sensor than the dash mounted gauge, and the dash mounted gauge (at least the one in my 91) isn't very accurate.
Thanks, this was the info I was looking for. I've got a fan that doesn't shut off and I'm using some trouble shooting methods right now. Checking the fan relays next and coolant temp sensor.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:13 AM
Trog
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is the link to the full set of diagnostics avail. that way:

http://www.idavette.net/tech/c4diag.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling fan trick

Quick Reply: Cooling fan trick