C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lt4 Problems Continue-vette Still Parked-almost 1 Year Now

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:27 AM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
TTS Datamaster will not work on his OBDII LT4.

Did not know that, What about AutoTap, I have never used it but I know it is for GM OBDII, Digi Moto is another one some of the OBDII people are using
Old 09-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Maro9658
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Response to Defamation

Originally Posted by spycameras
Oh ya i'm suing, wanna here a good one. I just received a letter from a large law firm in Reno saying if I don't stop mentioning that Reno GM dealer and retrack everything I have written They will sue me for Defamation, like in the next 2 day's.
If they said they were going to sue for Defamation they are blowing smoke. They can sue for Libel is you wrote it and slander if you spoke it. Either way they have to provide that the things you stated are untrue and spoken or written with malice.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:00 AM
spycameras
Advanced

Originally Posted by Casethecorvetteman
What does it do when you run it with the primary O2 sensors disconnected?
Hi,
I haven't tried that but I will tomorrow and let you know.
THANKS
Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 AM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

No worries
Old 09-27-2007, 02:20 AM
spycameras
Advanced

Default Fyi

Well at this stage all one can do is guess cause we are yet to have enough info, but if i had to guess, i would point at a wiring and/or device fault relating to the primary O2 sensors or the MAF sensor, if not a faulty PCM. (im not saying throw parts at it, and im not saying replace anything, but i AM saying i would start with the above and see where it takes you)

If it was related to the Coolant temp sensor reporting incorrect temp due to poor or open connection, it wouldnt go into closed loop, and it should be trying to idle at about 1,400rpm.

If it was related to the MAP sensor, it would be consistant with open and closed loops.

Youll need a GM service manual to check the following, but have a look and see what you see for the plug wires and injector wires being connected to their correct positions on both sides.

Check that the AIR system isnt pumping or allowing oxygen into the exhaust and past the oxygen sensors in closed loop, cause this will make it run rich.
Hi,
I replaced the MAP sensor a few weeks back and I could barely keep the engine running, completely undrivable so I put back the original and it ran like is is now, does that info help any? FYI if I disconnect neg battery for 30 seconds to re-set, it runs great for 2 to 5 minutes. THANKS
Old 09-27-2007, 02:22 AM
spycameras
Advanced

Hi,
I have the 2 factory GM Corvette books.
THANKS
Old 09-27-2007, 02:24 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has the ECM been ruled out? Easiest way is to swap in a known good one and see how it behaves. Sometimes this honestly the best and easiest way to eliminate a component.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:28 AM
spycameras
Advanced

Default Now I'm Being Sued???

Thanks for the advice, I'll email you a copy of the letter I got and if anyone else wants to read it email me, ispycameras@aol.com
Or is there a way to post the letter on this site.
THANKS
BTW the website the attorney is referring to is www.complaintsboard.com
Old 09-27-2007, 02:32 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, put out a request for forum members in your area. There might be several guys near you that can probably help out. 1 year without the vette is pretty damn long.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:17 AM
spycameras
Advanced

Default Ok A Brief History Of The Past.

OK, here it goes,

Bought my LT4 vette almost 2 years ago, 105,000 miles on it.

Ran like a bat out of hell, smoke the tires through 5 gear with ease.

3 months later the motor blew, took it to a machine shop for rebuild.

Valve head broke off stem & inpeaded itself in the head.

Price for new GM LT4 heads $1500.00 each = $3000.00 for a set.
or $2600.00 for a new GM LT4 longblock, you do the math.

Engine was sent from GM Fitzpatrick chevy in Concord Ca. to Reno
machine shop, they installed motor THEN discovered crated motor was full of rust water, they removed engine sent back to GM for replacement.
They installed 2cd LT4, started it up & immeadiatley had a knock.

Machine shop said, not our problem, towed to Champion Chevy in Reno
for warranty.
Champion pulled heads, found cylinders destroyed, machine shop's fault,
pay us $800.00 for pulling heads.
GM showed me a GM bulliton about catastrofic upper end damage and
intake must be replaced because to hard to clean out metal.

After 4 months of runaround machine shop paid me approx. $8500.00,
$2600.00, went for 3rd LT4 to concord Ca. (Champion wanted $3800.00 for same LT4) the balance went to Champion for money owed & labor for new install, and I bought a new GM LT4 intake, $600.00.

4 months passed, Champion couldn't get car to run correctly,
I paid them additional $1500.00 for nothing, I asked if they did compression check & was told yes.

I pushed the car accross the street to GM Pontiac,
paid $400.00 for 2 new spark plug wires and a vacuum hose. but car still ran like crap.

Drove accross the street to Champion, (1st time I drove my vette in over 7 months, 100 ft. WOW)

They said they cauldn't figue it out but its not the motor.

I had car towed car to Carsen City chevy GM, approx. 70 miles, $160.00, took them 15 minutes to pull valve cover off and found pushrod not under rocker, & 1 bad coil wire.

Drove car home, it ran ok but not like it should.

I told Champion what they found and again asked if they did a compression check, they said no they didn't, my receipt shows
nothing, just check for misfire, and the price, $1500.00.

Vette just kept running worse & worse, parked it for a few months, saved up some money, towed it to Pontiac, $65.00, they said battery no good, (1 year old interstate??) and they found vacuum hoses incorrectly ran, they re-routed hoses, installed new battery, $700.00.

Drove car part way home, it died,, towed back to Pontiac, $65.00, they said maybe bad dist. spraratic spark, (new summit dist installed by Champion) then they said that's not it, pre cats clogged, (and they were).

Barley made it driving car home, new battery went dead, opened hood and found alt. plug loose, plugged it back in, now battery ok.
Hollowed out precats, ran great for 5 minutes only.

Unplugged rear 02 sensors car ran great for 3 minutes only.
Made my own 02 sims using non fowling spark plug end, 18mm threads,
drilled out with 1/2 drill, screwed 02's into plug ends then screwed whole assembly into exhaust, ran great for 3 minutes only.

Replaced MAP sensor, car barely ran, put back original MAP,
car runs like crap, but runs.

Unplugged air sensor by front of engine copartment and installed resistor
designed to make vette run better, it ran the same as with new MAP sensor.
Connected back up original MAP car runs like crap but runs.

I jump OB?? II, no codes stored, 3 C12's, but car ran great while jumped,
ran the best ever for 5 minutes then SES flashed, stayed on, car runs like crap, same result if I disconnect battery for a minute.

Autozone scan tool shows sparatic spark & voltage slightly lower on
right front 02.

This all started over a year ago in May, a year and a half with no car.

Car now parked in backyard, my chickens do seem to enjoy ****tng on it!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:22 AM
spycameras
Advanced

Originally Posted by 86PACER
Also, put out a request for forum members in your area. There might be several guys near you that can probably help out. 1 year without the vette is pretty damn long.
HOW?
THANKS
Old 09-27-2007, 06:25 AM
spycameras
Advanced

Originally Posted by JAKE
I'd like to read the previous posts too because my first thought was leaking injector(s), but that may have been checked already.

Post the link for us.

Jake
I CAN'T FIND THE LINKS,
I POSTED THEM ON THIS SITE A YEAR AGO??
Old 09-27-2007, 07:54 AM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Man you got jobbed and more then once. Two different Shops and none of them logged data so they could tell you what the problem was? This is not rocket science and between a sun scope and good data logs it should point you in the direction you need to be. The First thing I would do is stop throwing good money after bad as you already have been screwed by this more then once. Get the car to a shop that states they will Log Data and put the ignition on a Scope and possibly a leak down check

Last edited by FD2BLK; 09-27-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

What were the voltages reported by the O2s you state there 3 from the bottom??

Sounds to me like you paid more than enough to have these clowns get the car to run perfect. These blokes are meant to be experts so it shouldnt be an issue. The fact they cant get your car running after that much money is spent is clear they dont have a clue what they are doing.

Last edited by Casethecorvetteman; 09-27-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:36 PM
ericcer
Drifting

Did you ever unplug the 2 front O2s? This will make it run in open loop all the time. How about swapping out the PCM? Any LT4s in your area to do this with? Unplugging the MAF sensor is something to try. It will run a bit rich with that as well. Has the TPS sensor been replaced?

Just because you get a code from the PCM does not mean it is going to run bad. Some of them just notifiy you of a emission system malfunctioning.

As suggested before a scan tool like Autotap would let us know what is going on with some data logging.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:59 PM
spycameras
Advanced

Default Here is the update I summited to Champions Attorney& web site

PLEASE VISIT THIS WEB SITE AND READ ALL THE WAY DOWN THE PAGE FOR MY REPONSE. YOU CAN ADD YOUR OWN COMMENT THERE IF YOU WISH.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...ada-c1994.html

I am the one who wrote this complaint against Champion Chevrolet in Reno Nv.

I would like to update this.

During the time that Champion tore down the new GM factory engine I was told by the machine shop that installed the engine,
(not Champion's machine shop)
that it was a clear case of warranty repair.
Inbetween this time and the weeks after is when I wrote this original complaint.

Champion, 3 to 4 weeks after they removed the heads discovered a GM service bulliton stating that when a motor, LT4 has major upper end damaged that the intake manifold should be replaced due to metal debris getting stuck up in the manifold and how it is almost immpossible to clean because of the manifold design.

Once I saw that I agreed with Champion that the machine shop, (not Champion's machine shop)
was at fault, NOT CHAMPION CHEVROLET,
SO I DO APOLOGIZE TO CHAMPION AND DANNY PRICE FOR THAT STATEMENT, BUT AT THE TIME IT IS WHAT I WAS TOLD BY THE OTHER MACHINE SHOP, I AM NOT A LICENSED GM MECHANIC .

The machine shop after 3 months finally paid me for a new LT4, new manifold, labor for Champion to remove and reinstall the new and third LT4.

However everything else I wrote about Champion Chevrolet and Danny Price including the phone call is exactly what happend as I remenber it.

But the horror continued.

A couple months had passed before Champion installed the new engine including approx. 30 day's of trying to get the car to run properly.

I believe Champion charged me another $800.00+ for thet time they spent working on it.
I asked the basic questions to Mr. Price,
Three things make an engine run,
1) gas
2)spark
3)compression

Have you checked all three?

Danny Price said YES,
he believes the Dist. is the problem and wants another approx. $1500.00 to $1800.00 to replace the Dist. this is on top of the $800.00+ and approx. $6700.00 they already received.

Now I believe the $800.00 should have been included
in the $1500.00 to $1800.00 Dist. price.

I asked Mr. Price how much labor would be if I bought the Dist. myself at Summit Racing which I did.
Mr. Price quoted me approx $1000.00 to $1200.00 just for the labor.

I walked accross the street to GM Winkle Pontiac to get a price on labor to replace Dist., $450.00.

So I pushed the car accross the street to Winkle,
they replaced the Dist. and it made no difference what so ever, the cart still ran like crap.

Brought my car back to Champion and showed Mr. Price the results of Champions diagnosis.

Danny Price said, well it must be something else, leave it here with a substantial money deposit and we will try to find the problem but these things happen, its not the engine so its not a warranty issue and I will have to continue to pay Champion's approx. $100.00 an hour rate until they figue it out.

I said no, I'm having the car towed to Carsen City Chevrolet, (Valley Chevrolet).

So i paid approx. $160.00 to have it towed, I explained to there service dept. the previous history as to what was done by Champion & Winkle.

They got the car late Friday afternoon I believe and I didn't expect to hear from them until mid next week at the earliest.

Well I received a call from Carsen Chevrolet 20 minutes after the brought it inside the shop,
They said the pushrod was not under the rocker.

They replaced the pushrod and also found the coil wire needed replacement.

NOW TO YOU DANNY PRICE, JACK STANKO AND THE OWNER OF CHAMPION CHEVROLET,

THIS IS A WARRANTY ISSUE, THE LONGBLOCK I BOUGHT AT GM CAME WITH NEW VALVE COVERS INSTALLED, AND CARSEN VALLEY CHEVROLET AGREED AND DID NOT CHARGE ME ONE CENT.

FURTHER MORE I ASKED CARSEN VALLEY CHEVROLET A QUESTION I KNEW THE ANSWER TOO,

DID CHAMPION DO A COMPRESSION CHECK?

ANSWER: NO THEY DID NOT, THEY NEVER EVEN PULLED THE VALVE COVER OFF.

Yet I was charged $800.00, but I notice on the bill from Champion has no specifics listed as to what they did.

DANNY PRICE LIED TO ME ON THE PHONE ABOUT THE COMPRESSION CHECK,
I HAD MY PHONE ON SPEAKER,
IT WAS OVERHEARD BY A FRIEND,
AND I HAVE IT RECORED!!!!!!!!!

When I called Champion after leaving Carsen City I again asked Danny Price, on speaker phone being recorded, DID YOU DO A COMPRESSION CHECK?
HIS REPLY WAS, OF COARSE WE DID, THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS WE WOULD DO AFTER RUNNING DIAGNOSTICS AND YOU REQUESTED IT AS WELL.

I then told Danny Price about the pushrod and Danny Price who in the past alway's had a quick answer before I could even finish my questions became silent for a moment then in a low voice said, well I'm glad your cars running ok now.

AND YES CHAMPION CHEVROLET I WILL BE SUING YOU SHORTLY AND FILING A COMPLAINT WITH THE BBB ALONG WITH WITNESS STATEMENTS, COPIES OF RECORDINGS ETC. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by spycameras; 09-27-2007 at 03:02 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-27-2007, 08:33 PM
spycameras
Advanced

Default Finally After 1 1/2 Years My Lt4 Corvette Runs

I unplugged the front 02 sensors and I can drive my vette now,
I would guess its running at 90% performance.

So should I replace both front sensors??

THANKS FOR EVERYONES INPUT.

Get notified of new replies

To Lt4 Problems Continue-vette Still Parked-almost 1 Year Now

Old 09-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

You can try it, but i dont know if that will be the issue, just cause it made it run ok doesnt mean alot, just means it will run ok in open loop which is what i thought it would do.

Since youve spent so much moola already you may as well give it a go, for all we know the O2s could both be rooted from the car running so poorly for so long.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:44 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Well right now, we're pretty much shooting in the dark. You know, try this and then try that.

There are a lot of guys on CF that know a HELL of a LOT more about these engines than the knuckle-heads in the service department.

If you had a scanner and could scan the engine, no matter or badly or good it's running, then post the read out, I'll bet someone here can zero in on the cause of all this. It's all abut the numbers, and the numbers that the scan reveals will point us in the right direction.

It has to be a sensor(s), wiring or PCM at the bottom of all this.

Jake
Old 09-29-2007, 12:56 AM
Dr. Evil
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
CI-IV AutoX Champ
CI-IV Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '07-'10

Dont know where on earth you get the numbers for the TPS volts, its no where near the numbers youve stated. Should be near 4.5v at WOT. The closed throttle TPS volts isnt that important.

Sorry bout that.....err a couple pts of bitburger does that to me now

Quick Reply: Lt4 Problems Continue-vette Still Parked-almost 1 Year Now