C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions

Old 11-11-2001, 09:36 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions

Well, we picked up the new car Friday night, and while I am still getting aquanted with it, here is what I think so far.

The C5 is a completely different car, so comparisons are hard. My wife prefers the C4 sports seats over the C5. Since she is thin, she feels that the C4 seats were more "surrounding". I like the C5 seats a little better, but then again I have a little more width then she does :rolleyes:

I got the six speed in the C5 whereas my C4 had the auto. There is obviously quite a difference between the two, but the CAGS has got to go. I am surprised that GM hasn't been sued over this. I almost got rear ended several times due to leaving a light and then slowing because I found myself fighting to keep the shift from going into 4th while we were slowing, and the person behind had to slam on their brakes. That switch can't arrive soon enough.

The LS1 has a LOT of power, but it is much different the then L-98. The L-98 comes on strong quick and then of course loses power. The LS1 comes on quick but seems to keep building power with RPM. To me, it is very impressive and I am quite pleased with the performance of the car overall.

I also got the Z51 in the C5. Although the C4 had the FE1 suspension (touring), I think the C4 rode as firm as the C5 with Z51. The C5 is supposed to be stiffer (less flex), but I never found that to be an issue with the C4 convertible that we had.

The C5 doesn't wrap around you like the C4. It is more "open" feeling and not as confining. However, my wife and I both miss that feeling that we had in the C4. Not sure we like one more then the other in this respect, but the cars are very different here.

The sill is not in the C5. It is supposed to be easier to get in and out of, but so far I haven't figured out the trick and actually find the C5 more difficult to get in and out of. Go figure:eek

The C5 has much improved brakes. This was one area that I was disappointed in with the C4. It may be just a matter of pedal effort.

The C5 is easier to wax then the C4 :jester

What can you ever say about the clamshell hood. That was one of the best features of the C4. I will forever miss that. Access is decent on the C5, but there is nothing like sitting on a tire and being able to work on the motor. :eek:

Overall I have no regrets and am looking forward to next summer when I can once again enjoy top down driving.
Old 11-11-2001, 09:43 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions (vettenuts)

Thanks for the insight, very very useful. Agree on the CAGS, you can get used to it; but who wants to? :D

How do you find the leg room?

Lucky C-5 you have there, I know it's going to be well maintained.
Old 11-11-2001, 10:08 PM
importeater
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions (PeteL)

just to be cute i'll give you a slightly technical exp. of what you described in the two engines, how true it is and why the mathmatics look like this torque x rpm/5252 basically if you raise the point where peak torque happens you get a big jump in hp. one example is this at 3500 rpm 400lb of torque is 266hp if the engine made 400lb of torque at 5000 rpm the hp number would jump to 380hp. if you think about this you'll see really quickly the major mathmatical difference of the L98 and LS1 at part throttle they feel pretty similar don't they? if anything the l98 might have a tad bit more grunt off idle. but at any point over 3500-4000rpm the ls1 clearly pulls harder. once the c6 comes out and the c5 takes a nose dive in value i'll be picking one up to play with as well, in the mean time i also have a 90 & it should give me some smiles in the mean time :chevy
Old 11-11-2001, 10:45 PM
AS84
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions (importeater)

there is nothing like sitting on a tire and being able to work on the motor
Oh man...where are you going to rest tools on?
Old 11-11-2001, 10:51 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions (PeteL)

How do you find the leg room?

Lucky C-5 you have there, I know it's going to be well maintained.
There is more leg room, and the dead pedal is a nice feature.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:43 PM
PylonBoy
Instructor

Overall I have no regrets and am looking forward to next summer when I can once again enjoy top down driving.

What's wrong with driving with the top off when it's 30 degrees? I do it. Just need to wear gloves and a hat :cool:
Old 11-12-2001, 02:36 PM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions (PylonBoy)

Get an LT4, best of both worlds. Same power as LS1. But the with the feel of C4. :D
Old 11-12-2001, 08:40 PM
Don Martin
Drifting

Default Re: Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions (ConeKLR)

I am going to miss you here on the C-4 side. But I don't blame you. I will move up to a C-5 as soon as I can.

The little I drove a C-5 I found the ride much superior to the C-4.

Lets see some pics.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:51 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Re: Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions (Don Martin)

I am with Don Martin....I really am gonna miss seeing you on this side...you have helped bail my little butt out of jams quite a few times and I appreciated all the help you have provided....

enjoy your new beauty.....and please post some pics....I would love to get one myself....hmmm somebody....I want a house first....lol

jeff
Old 11-12-2001, 09:30 PM
red-y
Drifting

Hey - Good luck, now you have to hang with the C5'ers. With the way the economey is going this ride will have to last me. C4's rule.. :lol:
Old 11-12-2001, 09:41 PM
Justin Scherer
Instructor

Default Re: Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions (XtremeVette)

But, But, But;

C5 is a doll. Certainly superior in every major area of performance. Except the stock shifter against my Ripper !

Except that you can't put a zillion miles on the C5 without taking a big depreciation hit. And I can do burnouts all day long and the tires are cheapees. I can also rail corners and kill the edges on my front tires (cause I can rotate them to the back where I subsequently just burn them up). Can't do that in a "5" on my budget.

And then there was the vandalism on my C4 with the "initial carving" and all. So how the hell am I supposed to protect the C5 when it happens to my C4 in the best of areas???

In a word; the C4 is just cheaper to beat on. And better a C4 every day than a C5 every Sunday.

And I slaughter anyone on a serpentine road anyway. What's left to prove?

And 153 mph last week. North Jersey too !

So god help me if I had a "5". You don't get tickets for c_r_a_p like that. You get the nightstick.

Sometimes less is more. Unless you like jail time and riding a bicycle with the alcoholics. "Oh, so you are a 3rd time DWI. Me, oh, haha, 153 mph through a radar trap". pedal-squeak-pedal-squeak.

Justin
92 6-speed, white/red, Ripper, GS brakes
Old 11-12-2001, 09:50 PM
Danger Dave
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions (Justin Scherer)

Glad to hear you are back on the road in your new Vette. They are different cars in many respects except a Vette is a Vette is a Vette. Enjoy your new ride. :cheers: :cheers:
Old 11-13-2001, 12:34 AM
Grzldvt
Safety Car

Good assessment. I think over time you will find the C5 to be a much tighter car. While I enjoy driving the 85 daily, I still look forward to getting into the 98 and heading into the mountains...

[Modified by Grzldvt, 8:34 PM 11/12/2001]
Old 11-13-2001, 12:45 AM
Hurricane_777
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions (Grzldvt)

Thanks for the comparison. I actually had a chance to drive around in my Brother's 01 vert this past Friday, and I was most impressed. So much so that I'm actually thinking about potentially trading up. Hmmmm, saw a nice silver 98 up at the dealer this weekend....who knows. Only problem is with the economy being the way it is, I'd probably take a hit either way :(

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going from a C4 to a C5 - My Impressions