C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone know what would cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ............

Last edited by Keystring; 09-15-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:06 PM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, looks like a cathodic reaction from salt water.

http://electrochem.cwru.edu/ed/encyc...-corrosion.htm
Old 09-14-2007, 05:49 PM
brian84
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOLY CarP! that looks bad. I would concider picking up a entirely new intake system for your ride. I picked up a spare (complete) cfi set up from a fourm member for $175 shipped to me. ill keep my eyes open and let u know if I find anything, but I would definately not even try and re use that intake if it looks that bad.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

That intake will leak no matter what you do, pitch it, it's junk. Scout around on ebay and pick up another crossfire setup.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Last edited by Keystring; 09-15-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:26 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The two barrel manifold and TB ought to be basically a "bolt on". Your wiring is set up for two injectors, etc. All I see is leaving one of the IAC connectors unplugged. There will probably be some cable/linkage hassles. Pay particular attention to the TV cable and it's proper adjustment, because a misstep, there could cost you a transmission.

RACE ON!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Last edited by Keystring; 09-15-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:07 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

I don't know what you're doing, here, but maybe, especially if funds are scarce, you should pull the trans pan, diff, a head, and I don't know what all else, before you spend money on an intake, etc, for a car you will never be able to afford to get running. It may just pay to "look before you leap".

RACE ON!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
I don't know what you're doing, here, but maybe, especially if funds are scarce, you should pull the trans pan, diff, a head, and I don't know what all else, before you spend money on an intake, etc, for a car you will never be able to afford to get running. It may just pay to "look before you leap".

RACE ON!!!
Excellent advice!!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Last edited by Keystring; 09-15-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:35 AM
ineVETTEable
Racer

^^^^ OOF...
Old 09-15-2007, 11:49 AM
87 rag
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keystring
I'm not putting the original motor back in. I have a 350 from an 84 Monte Carlo that a friend sold me for $200. So pulling a 'head' isn't necessary.

As far as the trans goes. If it's bad, I have the turbo 350 from the Monte to put in, even tho I really don't want to go to a 3 speed.

And why would I need to pull the differential since it's a sealed unit? I don't think that's necessary.

And as far as 'never afford to get running' goes. I never said I wouldn't be able to get it running. I said being able to buy parts for higher dollar amounts than I can afford 'isn't in the cards right now'.

So I did 'Look' before I 'Lept'..

I value your option and help with questions I have had on this project, but I also find there are people here who seem to thinK money is the answer to all problems because they seem to be able to whip out their check books or credit cards.

I've wanted a vette for a long time. And now I have it. If it turns out to be a 'lawn ornament', so be it.

But the attitude of some on here makes me wonder why I bothered to sign up, and frankly.,I think the 'if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have bought it' attitude is .

I didn't need anyones permission to buy something or waste my time on it since I left home at 16.

And I sure don't need it now.

Thanks for the help, but I think I can figure the rest out for myself.

Sorry to have been a burden to some here.
I can't speak for CFI but I don't think he was trying to insult you.
Man are you ever sensitive.
What a rediculous response to good advice.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:28 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Originally Posted by Keystring
I'm not putting the original motor back in. I have a 350 from an 84 Monte Carlo that a friend sold me for $200. So pulling a 'head' isn't necessary.

As far as the trans goes. If it's bad, I have the turbo 350 from the Monte to put in, even tho I really don't want to go to a 3 speed.

And why would I need to pull the differential since it's a sealed unit? I don't think that's necessary.

And as far as 'never afford to get running' goes. I never said I wouldn't be able to get it running. I said being able to buy parts for higher dollar amounts than I can afford 'isn't in the cards right now'.

So I did 'Look' before I 'Lept'..

I value your option and help with questions I have had on this project, but I also find there are people here who seem to thinK money is the answer to all problems because they seem to be able to whip out their check books or credit cards.

I've wanted a vette for a long time. And now I have it. If it turns out to be a 'lawn ornament', so be it.

But the attitude of some on here makes me wonder why I bothered to sign up, and frankly.,I think the 'if you can't afford it, you shouldn't have bought it' attitude is .

I didn't need anyones permission to buy something or waste my time on it since I left home at 16.

And I sure don't need it now.

Thanks for the help, but I think I can figure the rest out for myself.

Sorry to have been a burden to some here.
Well screw you!

I tried to give you some honest, sincere, non-judgmental, well intentioned advice to help you out, and you feed me THAT crap. My "attitude" was one of trying to help you from wasting money, by starting something, "My budget is nearly non existent" that you might not be able to finish. I was only giving you some well intentioned advice to help prevent YOU from getting yourself into a trick box. I wasn't necessarily expecting a thank you, but I wasn't expecting to take a load of crap over trying to help. As far as I'm concerned, you are on your own. My final words on the subject are, although you say you don't need it, you have my permission to take a flying leap...

RACE ON!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 12:42 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Keystring what CFI was trying to get across was if the car was submerged in salt water above the intake level there are lots of other assemblies (composed of material like aluminum, steel etc) that are likely just as compromised as your intake. The diff is not a totally sealed system, it is vented and if the diff was submerged there's a good chance of saltwater intrusion.

With the current collector status of the 1984 corvette throwing a bunch of money (or even a moderate amount) does not make sense.
Good luck!

MIke
Old 09-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Well screw you!

I tried to give you some honest, sincere, non-judgmental, well intentioned advice to help you out, and you feed me THAT crap. My "attitude" was one of trying to help you from wasting money, by starting something, "My budget is nearly non existent" that you might not be able to finish. I was only giving you some well intentioned advice to help prevent YOU from getting yourself into a trick box. I wasn't necessarily expecting a thank you, but I wasn't expecting to take a load of crap over trying to help. As far as I'm concerned, you are on your own. My final words on the subject are, although you say you don't need it, you have my permission to take a flying leap...

RACE ON!!!
If I mis-interpretted what you where saying, then I am sorry and I apologize.

This is my last post.

Thank you for all your help.

Last edited by Keystring; 09-15-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:07 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

RACE ON!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know what would cause this?

Quick Reply: Anyone know what would cause this?