C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Electric Waterpump Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 05:14 AM
wilsonbh
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric Waterpump Longevity

Anyone have an electric waterpump on their engine that has lasted a long time? The local Corvette mechanic is telling me that it's insanity to install one of these unless you race your car.

Thoughts? Comments?

Billy
Old 09-12-2007, 06:08 AM
ericcer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me the insanity part of it is not having a warning circuit installed with one. Mine saved me from overheating just last week when one of my relays that drives the pump went bad. I was at 210 degrees when my alarm went off. It took me less than a minute to pull over and shut the car down. The coolant temps got up to 245 in that period of time.

I would not run a electric WP without a warning circuit. I want to point out that there are two coolant sensors on my 96 (maybe the same for all C4s). One in the WP housing and one in the head. On the dash, the digital display shows you the WP housing sensor and the analog gauge shows you the one in the head. When an electric WP fails the analog gauge shoots to the danger zone while the other one changes very slowly so you may not even notice the failure if looking at the digital gauge before it is too late.

When a electric WP fails there is NO coolant circulating at all whereas a mechanical one there is. Usually the mechanical ones warn you by leaking.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Road Agent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wilsonbh
Anyone have an electric waterpump on their engine that has lasted a long time? The local Corvette mechanic is telling me that it's insanity to install one of these unless you race your car.

Thoughts? Comments?

Billy
Old 09-12-2007, 08:35 AM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericcer
To me the insanity part of it is not having a warning circuit installed with one. Mine saved me from overheating just last week when one of my relays that drives the pump went bad. I was at 210 degrees when my alarm went off. It took me less than a minute to pull over and shut the car down. The coolant temps got up to 245 in that period of time.

I would not run a electric WP without a warning circuit. I want to point out that there are two coolant sensors on my 96 (maybe the same for all C4s). One in the WP housing and one in the head. On the dash, the digital display shows you the WP housing sensor and the analog gauge shows you the one in the head. When an electric WP fails the analog gauge shoots to the danger zone while the other one changes very slowly so you may not even notice the failure if looking at the digital gauge before it is too late.

When a electric WP fails there is NO coolant circulating at all whereas a mechanical one there is. Usually the mechanical ones warn you by leaking.
Could you give us some details on this warning circuit?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 AM
ericcer
Drifting

They last about that same from what I have read. I remember someone claiming the electric one would outlast the mechanical.

The warning circuit I use is from this site below.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/khartn...02/circuit.htm
Old 09-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had my Mez coolant pump for 25K now and it still works fine. Our electric fans work fine and last a long time. I watch my gauges a lot and normally ride with the "gauges" and coolant temp displayed. I also ride with a spare jumper just in case the relay fails. That will get me home. I thought about a spare circuit in parallel that I could switch to, but haven't done so. I also thought a light showing the pump is on would be nice to have. I like the idea of eliminating the oil leak problem from the mechanical water pump seal. For over kill in preventive maintenance, I'll probably change it out at 50K. Then I'll have a spare pump.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:03 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Old 09-12-2007, 10:40 PM
Hotred94
Pro

Thoughts? Comments?

Billy
That's what they said about electric radiator fans when they first came out, now they're the standard. My mez has gone one year so far with no problems. By the way, nice color on the car.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:45 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I've been running my HD Meziere for over 4 1/2 years. But, with my car that has only been about 10k miles.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:48 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

About the same here. It was installed almost 3 years ago, but only about 9K miles. So far, so good.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:42 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

The local Corvette mechanic is telling me that it's insanity to install one of these unless you race your car.

Thoughts? Comments?

Billy

With that mindset, would he also suggest that you should remove the electric fuel pump and go back to a mechanical one?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Nice diagram, but what does this stuff look like? What does it look like installed? Where do you get this stuff?

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Waterpump Longevity

Quick Reply: Electric Waterpump Longevity