C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZZ4 Timing problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:31 AM
87FIREREDRAGTOP
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ZZ4 Timing problems

HI all, I am having trouble with timing on my new ZZ4 in my 87. I had to change the damper with the L98 one due to size. I also changed the timing cover with it. Was this a mistake? Was the ZZ4 damper(that I no longer have) and timing cover diferent?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:19 AM
kize
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is highly possible. Did you compare the 2 dampers and covers?? At this point I'd try a degree wheel on what you have and compare the marks on your old covers.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:54 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

So long as you have a L98 cover to go with the L98 balancer the indicated timing should be right.

Different balancer/ timing marks used across years, also has to be correct for balancer size also

What problems are you having?
Did you play with the timing chain?

Last edited by rodj; 09-04-2007 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:41 AM
87FIREREDRAGTOP
Racer

No, I didnt mess with the timing chain. Unfortunatly, I no longer have the ZZ4 cover of balancer. The old balancer was larger and the timing cover was plastic. Anyone got any pics of one?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Tom 35th anniversary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Looked the same to me

Originally Posted by 87FIREREDRAGTOP
No, I didnt mess with the timing chain. Unfortunatly, I no longer have the ZZ4 cover of balancer. The old balancer was larger and the timing cover was plastic. Anyone got any pics of one?
I also transferred the balancer over but left the timing cover that came on the zz4 on the motor. When i compared them the timing mark looked like it was in the same position just a little farther away from the balancer due to its smaller diameter compared to the one that came on the new motor.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:39 PM
87FIREREDRAGTOP
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom 35th anniversary
I also transferred the balancer over but left the timing cover that came on the zz4 on the motor. When i compared them the timing mark looked like it was in the same position just a little farther away from the balancer due to its smaller diameter compared to the one that came on the new motor.
Did you have any problems with pinging after your install? This thing pings hard. I have checked the EGR system and it seems to be functioning well.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:23 AM
The Bus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to change my damper also , would not clear the crossmember. The timing is the same , the problem is that the pointer has to be relocated because it no longer points correctly. What I did was set the dist in and adjusted the timing until I had the engine running smooth. I did the timing adjustments on the dyno by increasing and decreasing until I got the max. HP. When I ever need to replace the water pump/pwr steering or anything behind the pulleys I'll set the engine to TDC and fab a pointer to point at "0" degrees ; then I'll be able to time with a light. It runs fine I don't look for work. If you have any questions you are weclome to call me at home . 724 941 3792
Old 09-08-2007, 10:31 AM
87FIREREDRAGTOP
Racer

You don't happen to know how many degrees and in wich direction do you? It seems I have to set mine at about 2 deg after TDC to get the ping to go away. It also seems I lose some HP when I do that.

Get notified of new replies

To ZZ4 Timing problems

Quick Reply: ZZ4 Timing problems