C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hood Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 AM
calpbs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Alignment

I have compleated an extensive front end rebuild. I went all the way to the frame rails. New bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, new rack, lowering kit, and bearings. I found after tear down the bumper support was broken loose from the frame horn. I aligned and welded the support back on. Every piece (inner fender) fit nicely except the hood. It is so far out of alignment it will hardly close. My question is does the fiberglass deform? It was suggested that I close the hood and let the car sit outside for several days and the hood would form back to the proper locations. I live in north georgia where we have had consistent 100 degree days.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:33 AM
kize
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would probably help if you were more descriptive as to where the hood misalignment is. There are quite a few adjustment points to make the hood fit to the car. First and foremost is parking the car on level ground. No, the hood will NOT mold to a new location. If the fit is not right, you are just going to fracture the hood. Get yourself a book and or proper procedure for hood fitment.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:57 AM
calpbs
Instructor

It is off on all four corners and the alignmrnt with the nose and quarter fenders are wrong. It barley closes.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:24 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you lay the hood down on the ground or stand it up? Yes, the fiberglass will move if the hood has laid on the ground.

Can you supply some pics of what it looks like?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:18 PM
calpbs
Instructor

I had the hood upside down on a stand for several months and it looks as though it may have spread a little, this along with the corrected geometry of the front end has created the problem. The car will recieve a significant cosmetic up-dating but not now.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Alignment

Quick Reply: Hood Alignment