C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

dynomax exhuast opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:17 PM
1987C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dynomax exhuast opinions

I would like to hear from anyone who has installed and run the Dynomax super turbo mufflers and their rear Y pipe with the cross over tube. I am looking for more flow, but not much of an increase in sound. I would like to still be able to talk easily in the cabin and hear the radio. I would love to get the Corsa system, but the old checkbook has heart failure whenever I check the price tag!

Also, has anyone used the front Y pipe (I think it's from Dynomax) that eliminates the front two pre-cats and goes with a new main cat? I am wondering the noise increase one could expect with this mod as well.

Many thanks in advance for any insights.

Brad
Old 09-03-2007, 09:37 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,595 Likes on 2,173 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I ran the Dynomax super turbo mufflers on an 87 that I owned previously. They sounded great. Louder than stock but no resonance. I used the stock setup with no crossover.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Can86Z51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
I ran the Dynomax super turbo mufflers on an 87 that I owned previously. They sounded great. Louder than stock but no resonance. I used the stock setup with no crossover.
Still have the Super Turbo mufflers on my 86 Z51 coupe, installed in 1990, as I recall. Like em, although I think they have got a little louder over the years, probably due to compaction/degradation of the internal baffle material(glass fibre?). Otherwise, pretty good! Btw - no front Y-pipe pre-cats on 1986 Canadian Export Vettes.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:00 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 86E with no pre cats, hollow main cat, H-pipe and Dynomax super turbo mufflers. This set up is louder than stock, but the hollow cat might have a greater effect on the sound. It has a turbo type sound. I have some resonance in the 1500-200 rpm range. With the windows up, you can make conversation with normal tone. With the windows down, you have to speak up a good bit to make converstation even over the normal wind noise.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:04 PM
blackbear bob
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Brad
I installed the dynomax ultra flo's with the rear y that has the crossover.Louder than stock for sure,but in a good way. Then I made the mistake of gutting the cat and along came the dreaded resonance.
Not too bad but you sure can tell the difference from before with the cat. Be careful on how much you free up the exhaust as there is a fine line on sound. In hind sight I should have left the cat, but I will maybe put on a high flow cat to control the resonance some more. Just my experience with the system. Fit was great, had to tweek the y because it looked crooked from the rear.
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To dynomax exhuast opinions

Quick Reply: dynomax exhuast opinions