C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Am I wasting $120.00

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 06:12 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Am I wasting $120.00

I was getting ready to take my intake off this weekend when I told by a mechanic who is pretty respectable not to do a thing until I got a system print out from a computer scanner like the dealers use. I tested a lot of the components in my 84 with a volt meter and all seemed with in specs and I thinking its a vacuum leak even though I cant find it. It runs about $120.00 to get the scan done. Do you think I'm wasting my money?(This car has a extremely fast idle)
Old 08-30-2007, 06:47 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Have you tried pulling the codes youself?

A decent shop manual will show you how.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 PM
RICEKILA
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How fast is extremely fast -- 2000 -- 3000 ?
Post this over at the Crossfire Injection Forum
Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 PM
scooter18155
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you go to a auto parts store autozone advanced auto or so on ya can buy a scanner that will give you the codes off your car and should be able to get one less then that guy is charging and get more then 1 use out of it. believe me it comes in handy. it should come with a book with the codes or ya can use the codes from an fsm. like mentioned above the fsm will give you directions to do it with a paper clip. this info is also at the crossfire injection forum as well. the $125 fee does sound a bit high but not by much. it is only a waste of $ if ya have capability, know how, and means to do it yourself. i do agree ya should pull the codes to see what if anything comes up.

Last edited by scooter18155; 08-30-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Hotred94
Pro

Last time I had my other car scanned it said, Transmission defective, replace entire unit. Didn't tell me anything an idiot didn't already know. The guy actually had the nerve to ask me for $60 for those 5 words. I took it to another shop for repairs.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

An engine scan for a vacuum leak.

Save your money and use it to purchase a FSM. $120 is about what you will need to get a new manual.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:04 AM
xrcrx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just spray some wd-40 around the intake, if the idle changes you've found your leak.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:49 AM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

save your money and just go get a paperclip or short wire and use that to read your codes.
I haven't read all your posts between here and the cf forum. I do know you have the xram, have you check your plenom gaskets? TBI gasket. I would think if your gonna spend over a hundred bucks the TBI rebuild kit would be a better purchase, just my 2 cents
Old 08-31-2007, 07:52 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by qws
save your money and just go get a paperclip or short wire and use that to read your codes.
I haven't read all your posts between here and the cf forum. I do know you have the xram, have you check your plenom gaskets? TBI gasket. I would think if your gonna spend over a hundred bucks the TBI rebuild kit would be a better purchase, just my 2 cents
I only get two code (lean) and 13 (02 sensor) which have flashed on my screen since I bought the car 1,000 miles before the high idle. The scan Im being told to get by two mechanics is a dealer computer which gives you a print out of ALL your engine pressure and fuctions which if not correct or in specs may NOT throw a code.(This is what Im being told anyway). I checked the the IACs, TPS, Coolant temp, with a volt meter and ALL are with in normal resistance range according to my FSM. This other test Im told will tell how every sensor is functioning with actual numbers.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:04 AM
JamesRS
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 41 Posts

As apposed to getting the scan done at the dealer, you may want to download WINALDL (it's free) and purchase a cable from the site link for around $60. This will allow you to connect to your OBD1 and read the codes yourself with a laptop as well as see your sensors outputs just like the dealer system will do.

Here's a link to the Winaldl site for the software,
http://www.aldlcable.com/

Here's a site for the cable if you don't want to build it yourself.
http://winaldl.joby.se/

Another few things you may want to try is capping the vacuum ports on the CFI intake to see if you have a vacuum leak on one of the lines, and re-tighten the bolts holding down the intake lid. They are known for coming loose and causing a vacuum leak.

One more vacuum line to check that is a very common failure on the 84 is the vacuum line that comes out beside the distributor, on the manifold and connects to a check valve splitter to feed the dash vents and the cruise control / vacuum canister.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:04 AM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesRS
As apposed to getting the scan done at the dealer, you may want to download WINALDL (it's free) and purchase a cable from the site link for around $60. This will allow you to connect to your OBD1 and read the codes yourself with a laptop as well as see your sensors outputs just like the dealer system will do.

Here's a link to the Winaldl site for the software,
http://www.aldlcable.com/

Here's a site for the cable if you don't want to build it yourself.
http://winaldl.joby.se/

I built a cable and downloaded the program for use in my '85. It provides everything you need to know about your car. Total $ I spent was about $4 for a few transistors and resistors.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:41 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes $120 is a waste when there are so many alternatives....buy a good scanner...borrow a good scanner....buy a FSM....join a local Corvette group and get someone to scan if for free.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:11 AM
montecarlo4
Instructor

was the battery disconnected? or was it allowed to drain down?
the iacs may need to be reset by driving the car above 40 mph
matt
Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 PM
pennscreek
Intermediate

Here in Pa. our local Auto Zone will bring their scanner out in the parking lot and pull get your codes for you for FREE. can't beat that!

Get notified of new replies

To Am I wasting $120.00

Quick Reply: Am I wasting $120.00