C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need help 1988 trouble code 13, 22, 44.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Uremacher
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help 1988 trouble code 13, 22, 44.

Hello I am new at this forum; I hope someone can help me. I made a sharp turn engine cut out when I started up engine light came on runs erratic idle also when I depressed throttle started to pop I managed to drive home at low speed. I replaced TPS adjusted to .54 volts, I also replaced Oxygen sensor. Disconnected negative cable after a few minutes reconnected then started up has an erratic idle 5-8- 10- 13 – rpm. Fuel pressure 30 psi. Engine light did not light up I noticed that exhaust has a funny odor like gasoline also there is a lot of heat coming from under from exhaust. I drove a few miles runs if I depress gas pedal lightly top steed 25 mph when I come to a stop engine runs then stops. I appreciate if some one could help me to correct my problem, thank you.

Last edited by Uremacher; 08-26-2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: 1988 Corvette
Old 08-25-2007, 04:54 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default parts

why did you replace the throttle positon sensor?
when you get a popping out of the intake, it's usually an intake valve.
if it rolls over and dies in a turn, it indicates lack of fuel for the fuel pump.
If the fuel pump runs dry, it usually wipes out the fuel pump.
you need to check fuel pressure first.
then you need to determine the fuel filter is clean
you need to determine the ignition system is ok, and the key voltage is getting to the distributor.
But the died in a corner thing leads back to the tank.
on the erratic idle thing, disconnect the esc while the idle is erratic and see if the engine smoothes out.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:01 PM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He probably replaced those parts because that is the trouble codes he was getting. In the title of his post.
code 22=> throttle position sensor
code 13=>oxygen sensor
code 44=> lean exhaust

MAF Mass air flow sensor possibly.
Sounds like some symptoms when my MAF failed a few years ago.

Last edited by davidnclearlaketx; 08-25-2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: `
Old 08-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by davidnclearlaketx
MAF Mass air flow sensor possibly.
Sounds like some symptoms when my MAF failed a few years ago.

.......would have thrown a different # code...
Old 08-25-2007, 05:08 PM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Uremacher

Hello I am new at this forum; I hope someone can help me. I made a sharp turn engine cut out when I started up engine light came on runs erratic idle also when I depressed throttle started to pop I managed to drive home at low speed. I replaced TPS adjusted to .54 volts, I also replaced Oxygen sensor. Disconnected negative cable after a few minutes reconnected then started up has an erratic idle 5-8- 10- 13 – rpm. Fuel pressure 30 psi. Engine light did not light up I noticed that exhaust has a funny odor like gasoline also there is a lot of heat coming from under from exhaust. I drove a few miles runs if I depress gas pedal lightly top steed 25 mph when I come to a stop engine runs then stops. I appreciate if some one could help me to correct my problem, thank you.
........how much fuel in the tank......sometimes the gauge is a little bit off and has been answered previously, the fuel keeps the pump cool and w/o it, it could lead to a shortened pump life....unplug the vacuum like to the fuel pressure regulator and see if it has fuel dripping from it....if it does, your regulator has taken a dump......excessive heat could be a plugged cat.......
Old 08-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Uremacher
Cruising

Originally Posted by Da Mail Man
........how much fuel in the tank......sometimes the gauge is a little bit off and has been answered previously, the fuel keeps the pump cool and w/o it, it could lead to a shortened pump life....unplug the vacuum like to the fuel pressure regulator and see if it has fuel dripping from it....if it does, your regulator has taken a dump......excessive heat could be a plugged cat.......
Thank you for your help, my tank is ¾ full, I disconnected vacuum hose as you suggested there is no fuel leaking. I also replaced my fuel filter. I will check my cat.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Uremacher
Cruising

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
why did you replace the throttle positon sensor?
when you get a popping out of the intake, it's usually an intake valve.
if it rolls over and dies in a turn, it indicates lack of fuel for the fuel pump.
If the fuel pump runs dry, it usually wipes out the fuel pump.
you need to check fuel pressure first.
then you need to determine the fuel filter is clean
you need to determine the ignition system is ok, and the key voltage is getting to the distributor.
But the died in a corner thing leads back to the tank.
on the erratic idle thing, disconnect the esc while the idle is erratic and see if the engine smoothes out.
I should of mentioned at the beginning I also replaced fuel filter, I will check ESC Ignition checks out OK. Please note when I depress gas pedal slowly it will speed up but if I depress gas pedal halfway then it hesitates and does pop. It seems like I do not get the proper fuel or pressure, I did connect my gauge at injector rail gage reads now 30 psi. Next I will check my cat. Thank you for your help.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Yellow2015
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Mail Man
excessive heat could be a plugged cat.......

Old 08-26-2007, 10:39 AM
trackman44
Instructor

What year is your vette? You shold be running 40psi to 47psi on the fuel rail, not 30, that's too low.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Originally Posted by trackman44
What year is your vette? You shold be running 40psi to 47psi on the fuel rail, not 30, that's too low.
....i thought 30 was a bit low too...
Old 08-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Knee jerk reaction:Fuel pressure regulator.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:58 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Fuel pressure 30 psi.
If your car is an '84, that fuel pressure is very high. If it is a '94, it is very low. A little back ground could help.

Originally Posted by davidnclearlaketx
He probably replaced those parts because that is the trouble codes he was getting. In the title of his post.
code 22=> throttle position sensor
code 13=>oxygen sensor
code 44=> lean exhaust
Should have replaced the exhaust, too.

A code is set by the computer when it receives a reading from a sensor that is not within the parameters set for it, based on the readings from all the other sensors. The out of parameter reading can be, but certainly doesn't have to be caused by a bad sensor. Other conditions, and other components could be the cause of bad info.

When codes are set, one must use an organized, structured, regimen of trouble shooting to track down the fault that triggered the code. Replacing parts, just because they are the named component of the code, is "throwing money" at the problem. Don't replace parts until after they have been tested and demonstrated to be bad.

The FSM (Factory Service Manual), and no other that I am aware of, has trouble shooting charts for each of the codes, in order to track down the cause, and to avoid "throwing parts" (or money) at the problem.

RACE ON!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Uremacher
Cruising

Corvette 1988 I rechecked my fuel pressure it fluctuates between 30 to 45 psi the gauge needle goes crazy the needle should be steady? Right.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:06 PM
corvette_bob
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

QUOTE;
"""Corvette 1988 I rechecked my fuel pressure it fluctuates between 30 to 45 psi the gauge needle goes crazy the needle should be steady? """

Just chiming in my .02 here. If someone disagrees, I'm ready to listen and learn.

FWIW, as previously stated, I think you need to make sure the tank has gas. Fuel slosh in a tank with a low level WILL starve out the engine. This combined with the low fuel pressure MIGHT cause erratic readings that end up looking like the 0-2 sensor is reading too lean. From my experience other codes may or may not follow as the ECM tries to figure out what's wrong.

The biggest thng I can see going on here is the LOW fuel pressure for an '88. It needs to be steady, and in the low 40's to run well. 38or 39 will work, but since you're gonna be in there, why not bring it up a bit. I think most guys would reccommend an adjustable fuel pressure regulator(afpr). this will allow you to use a pressure gage to set in the low to mid 40's for a fairly stock motor. Too high of a pressure rating IS NOT GOOD. Get the advice of the guys on this forum that are tons smarter than me for the real hi-performance settings.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Uremacher
Cruising

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
If your car is an '84, that fuel pressure is very high. If it is a '94, it is very low. A little back ground could help.

Should have replaced the exhaust, too.

A code is set by the computer when it receives a reading from a sensor that is not within the parameters set for it, based on the readings from all the other sensors. The out of parameter reading can be, but certainly doesn't have to be caused by a bad sensor. Other conditions, and other components could be the cause of bad info.

When codes are set, one must use an organized, structured, regimen of trouble shooting to track down the fault that triggered the code. Replacing parts, just because they are the named component of the code, is "throwing money" at the problem. Don't replace parts until after they have been tested and demonstrated to be bad.

The FSM (Factory Service Manual), and no other that I am aware of, has trouble shooting charts for each of the codes, in order to track down the cause, and to avoid "throwing parts" (or money) at the problem.

RACE ON!!!

Corvette 1988 – 97000 miles

Thanks for heads up, oxygen sensor was bad for sure no reading with meter, the reason I replaced TPS unable to adjust it was erratic I installed a new one adjusted to .54 volts.
My exhaust is 19 months old I will test my cat for sure I do not have the tool to do this I will have a muffler shop check it out for me my exhaust does have a awful smell coming out. I re checked fuel pressure the needle fluctuates between 30 to 45 psi this is unusual should the be steady with minor fluctuation right not jumping up and down. Thank you again for your help.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:15 PM
trackman44
Instructor

I re checked fuel pressure the needle fluctuates between 30 to 45 psi this is unusual should the be steady with minor fluctuation right not jumping up and down. Thank you again for your help.
Either the check valve in your fuel pump is not holding pressure steadier (40 to 47psi), the fuel pressure regulator is shot, or you have a leaky fuel injector. Also check and make sure all your fuel lines are clean and not leaking fuel. And possibly the in tank fuel filter( AKA the sock) could be clogged and needs replacing. Check for leaking fuel injector first then work on the other possible causes and replace parts as needed.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:26 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Sure does sound like a fuel delivery problem. Is there any fuel in vac line to reg ??
Have you tried to drive it with the fuel gauge taped to the windshield, so you can monitor fuel pressure under load ??
http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Fu...mDiagnosis.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Co...0View%2086.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code%2022.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code%2013.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Code%2044.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To Need help 1988 trouble code 13, 22, 44.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Uremacher
Cruising

Default uremacher

Thank you for providing with this important information. There are no trace of fuel at regulator or vacuum line. I attached gauge to fuel rail ignition on reads 40 psi, engine fires up at first crank fast idle 11 rpm after warm up rpm went on a roller coaster idle at 5 – 7- 8- 13 rpm. Road test rpm 34 to 40, If I depress gas pedal quickly it chokes up I have increase slowly to increase speed at times at traffic light engine quits but starts up immediately. When I came back I did not detect fuel odor but exhaust did smell strong like fuel, I checked my oil dipstick did not detect fuel odor, all this time there are no trouble codes detected. When I turned engine off gauge reads 42 psi after 15 minutes gauge decreased to 18 psi I rechecked gauge after 1 hour still at 18psi. I will do more checking, thank you again for your support.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:22 PM
trackman44
Instructor

When I turned engine off gauge reads 42 psi after 15 minutes gauge decreased to 18 psi I rechecked gauge after 1 hour still at 18psi. I will do more checking, thank you again for your support.
Run your vette for 5 min then turn off. Clamp the fuel supply hose to the fuel rail and check fuel pressure again. If pressure drops after 15 mins to 18 psi you have a leaky injector. If pressure stays high the check valve in the fuel pump is shot. If this is the case replace fuel pump.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:24 PM
nickpe
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default blocked cat

sounds like blocked cat

Quick Reply: Need help 1988 trouble code 13, 22, 44.