C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine and transmission install

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 10:23 PM
Turbo Nasty
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine and transmission install

I'm getting close to being ready to install my engine and transmission. When I removed them I removed the transmission first and that was a sob to do on my garage floor under the car. That thing is heavy and hard to reach the bolts! Then I remove my engine. So now I'm wondering if it would be much easier to install them together from the top of the engine bay. I already have the hood off.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:34 AM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

With the hood off you have a chance. Measure a engine cherry picker to see if you can mount from the front. You may have to jack the car front up some. You will have better tilt control. If I had to do both I would try this way. The trans is heavy. I have a lift and trans jack so changing the trans was not difficult just a lot of wrench turning. After a top end rebuild the engine in my 88 runs very well. Good luck.

Last edited by HAD2HAV2; 07-03-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Herb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to pull both engine and trans and I couldn't do it��
I couldn't tilt them enough and I had the front jacked way up!

Last edited by Herb; 07-04-2016 at 09:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HAD2HAV2 (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 09:52 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

While the engine and trans are out I suggest you gather up all the loose grounds. Several of them are small gage wire and terminal. What I like to do after gathering them together is to cut off the existing lugs then strip back 2". Take a #14 or 12 gage pigtail with a HD lug for 3/8" bolt and twist all wires together then solder. If you want to be real **** you already slipped onto wires HD shrink tube with adhesive - so now you slip it over the solder twisted wires.
I cannot tell you how many problems you'll have if you miss one of those grounds while installing the engine/trans - it's real easy to do - I know !!!
Old 07-04-2016, 01:26 PM
bob arrowsmith
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default grounds while engine out

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
While the engine and trans are out I suggest you gather up all the loose grounds. Several of them are small gage wire and terminal. What I like to do after gathering them together is to cut off the existing lugs then strip back 2". Take a #14 or 12 gage pigtail with a HD lug for 3/8" bolt and twist all wires together then solder. If you want to be real **** you already slipped onto wires HD shrink tube with adhesive - so now you slip it over the solder twisted wires.
I cannot tell you how many problems you'll have if you miss one of those grounds while installing the engine/trans - it's real easy to do - I know !!!
how many grounds are there, and locations thanks
Old 07-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Installing engine and transmission together is a PITA. Car needs to be very high and you need a jack along with someone under car to wrestle transmission while the engine is being lowered. Raising the engine and transmission together along with crossmember from the bottom to me would be easier. You put everything together and block it up . Then drop car on it. If that's not something you want to try. I would block up or use transmission jack to roughly put transmission where it belongs when you drop engine in. Be careful not to damage firewall it is possible to crack it during the R&R process.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Turbo Nasty
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevova
Installing engine and transmission together is a PITA. Car needs to be very high and you need a jack along with someone under car to wrestle transmission while the engine is being lowered. Raising the engine and transmission together along with crossmember from the bottom to me would be easier. You put everything together and block it up . Then drop car on it. If that's not something you want to try. I would block up or use transmission jack to roughly put transmission where it belongs when you drop engine in. Be careful not to damage firewall it is possible to crack it during the R&R process.
Roger that. I think I will just go ahead and install the engine first with bell housing on.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine and transmission install

Quick Reply: Engine and transmission install