C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake bias spring and prop valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Z~max
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake bias spring and prop valve

I have a 95 base coupe. I was installing a new brake bias spring and brakes. When I removed the end cap on the master cyltinder, I did not find the "electrical brake bias spring" under the end cap. The combination valve had the spring, but in between the cap and combo valve there was none. Both the shop manual and the instructions that came with the new spring indicate this spring should be there. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 377 Likes on 312 Posts

That spring is real thin, maybe someone else left it out.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Z~max
Advanced

That is what I am afraid of. The pads were also on the wrong sides too.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:44 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Z~max
I have a 95 base coupe. I was installing a new brake bias spring and brakes. When I removed the end cap on the master cyltinder, I did not find the "electrical brake bias spring" under the end cap. The combination valve had the spring, but in between the cap and combo valve there was none. Both the shop manual and the instructions that came with the new spring indicate this spring should be there. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I do not remember any switch when I did the job on my 93. Can you take a pic of what you've run into?
Old 08-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Z~max
Advanced

The problem is with a missing spring that should be under the end cap before you would take out the combonation valve assembly. There was not a switch problem. If any one could describe in detail this spring or show a pic with something beside it for size, maybe I can make my own spring. I think it is just a ground if you would lose brake pressure at either end of the car. When the valve slides this keeps contact with the body thus providing ground. I could be totally wrong though.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:23 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I can take a picture of that in a few mins. The end cap spring is very fine wire, it hardly has any spring to it. I like your idea of it making a ground path, though I do not know for sure. I will post you a picture in a little bit, I have a spare M/C in a box with the end cap loose. Both the old and new M/C I have, have the spring.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Here you are, picture one in the bore:

The spring outside, it has no spring to it at all.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:03 PM
InHot
Instructor

Now that's service!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Z~max
Advanced

Wow, Mine did not have that spring, but my end cap has a non threaded part below the threads that would probably take up the amount of space the spring would. Maybe a 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch. The other thing I see is that your combo valve is in the bore in the opposite direction as mine was. The end I see in your picture was towards the firewall on mine. That is the forward side of the MC in your pic, right? This is making me nervous. Thank you for your help.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Z~max
Advanced

Originally Posted by InHot
Now that's service!
Yeah, can't beat that with a stick!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Wow, Mine did not have that spring, but my end cap has a non threaded part below the threads that would probably take up the amount of space the spring would. Maybe a 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch. The other thing I see is that your combo valve is in the bore in the opposite direction as mine was. The end I see in your picture was towards the firewall on mine. That is the forward side of the MC in your pic, right? This is making me nervous. Thank you for your help.
Yes that is the forward part, facing toward the radiator. The back part that goes into the booster has a c-clip instead of a big nut.

My combo valve may not be in there correctly, I did not check. The brake warning light switch is not installed though.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Z~max
Advanced

OK. I think mine is installed correctly according to the FSM. Just curious, what year is yours? Our end caps are different and I wonder if they have replaced the spring with the shoulder on the end cap. Although I am not sure what the shoulder or the spring are suppossed to do. They call it an "Electrical bias spring" that is why I thought it might be ground for the valve since the valve rides on the O-rings. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

OK. I think mine is installed correctly according to the FSM. Just curious, what year is yours? Our end caps are different and I wonder if they have replaced the spring with the shoulder on the end cap. Although I am not sure what the shoulder or the spring are suppossed to do. They call it an "Electrical bias spring" that is why I thought it might be ground for the valve since the valve rides on the O-rings. Thanks again.
It would make sense with the ground, as the combo valve is in the bore resting on all of it's o-rings. The valve moves some in the bore doesn't it? So the spring would still be needed since the shoulder on your end cap could not move with the valve.

I have two M/C here, both from my '88.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake bias spring and prop valve

Quick Reply: Brake bias spring and prop valve