C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Spent the day on the dyno

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:58 AM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Spent the day on the dyno

Well, I finally managed to get some time at work to put my car on the dyno. We've got a dynojet 224 in our third bay and I've been aching to get my car on the rollers for almost 6 months now. After spending most of the day tweaking the chip, I managed to gain about 30 RWHP and 50 RWTQ. This picture is the first and last pull I made. I started with 230 RWHP / 319 RWTQ and ended with 261 RWHP and 369 RWTQ. It's amazing what some timing and fuel tweaks can do.

I made one more pull at the end of day, after I installed some 1.6 roller rockers in place of the stock, stamped steel 1.5's and made 267 RWHP, but the fuel curve was richer by a full point all the way across the board. I would of leaned the new curve some, but I was tired and had already made almost 25 pulls dinking with the tune. Sometime later next week I'll get the car back on the dyno and really dial in the tune with the rockers. I don't think 275 is out of the question, but only time will tell.

I'm pretty excited to get back to the track, the car has been going pretty consistent 13.3's at 102 so maybe I can break 12's NA if everything goes right. I've been 12.41 on a 100 shot of nitrous, so maybe, if the stars and moon aligned, just maybe, I could touch the 11's on a 100 shot. If not, 150 should get me there for sure.

The complete list of mods is:

Hooker long tubes
Dr. Gas X pipe with magnaflow mufflers
!CATS, !EGR, !AIR pump
Cut air lid with K&N
Fearless performance nitrous system - None of these pulls are on the bottle though

And the roller rockers I added at the end of today.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:42 AM
all show and more go
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neat
Well, I finally managed to get some time at work to put my car on the dyno. We've got a dynojet 224 in our third bay and I've been aching to get my car on the rollers for almost 6 months now. After spending most of the day tweaking the chip, I managed to gain about 30 RWHP and 50 RWTQ. This picture is the first and last pull I made. I started with 230 RWHP / 319 RWTQ and ended with 261 RWHP and 369 RWTQ. It's amazing what some timing and fuel tweaks can do.

I made one more pull at the end of day, after I installed some 1.6 roller rockers in place of the stock, stamped steel 1.5's and made 267 RWHP, but the fuel curve was richer by a full point all the way across the board. I would of leaned the new curve some, but I was tired and had already made almost 25 pulls dinking with the tune. Sometime later next week I'll get the car back on the dyno and really dial in the tune with the rockers. I don't think 275 is out of the question, but only time will tell.

I'm pretty excited to get back to the track, the car has been going pretty consistent 13.3's at 102 so maybe I can break 12's NA if everything goes right. I've been 12.41 on a 100 shot of nitrous, so maybe, if the stars and moon aligned, just maybe, I could touch the 11's on a 100 shot. If not, 150 should get me there for sure.

The complete list of mods is:

Hooker long tubes
Dr. Gas X pipe with magnaflow mufflers
!CATS, !EGR, !AIR pump
Cut air lid with K&N
Fearless performance nitrous system - None of these pulls are on the bottle though

And the roller rockers I added at the end of today.

i need a tune,wow early post!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:43 AM
vettef6
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at your AFR, it seems to be about 13.0-13.5 is that right??
This is what the experts are aiming at, not 12.4-12.6 as so often seen...
Old 08-18-2007, 08:50 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Those are good gains. I would think those gains are good for another 2-3 mph.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:21 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

solid numbers.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:28 AM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Nice gains!

Would you be willing to share your spark advance and AFR targets in PE that resulted in these gains?

38 degrees advance or more? Some have reported good results with up to 42 degrees advance with 113 heads.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:54 AM
jonecap
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice gains, Josh. Maybe I should have you tune mine

Those are awesome numbers for a completely stock TPI setup. With rockers and an LT1 intake, you should see 280's and have a bit more rpm range. If you can avoid the dread 4-5 shift in the 1/4, you'll be solidly in the 12's NA and have a easy shot at 11's with a 100 shot. I'm going to quit talkin' junk now...at least until you "lose" those 150 jets
Old 08-18-2007, 12:16 PM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vettef6
Looking at your AFR, it seems to be about 13.0-13.5 is that right??
This is what the experts are aiming at, not 12.4-12.6 as so often seen...
I was shooting for about 13.5. The sniffer at the shop goes in the tail pipe and we typically see about a .4 difference between the tail pipe and measuring the A/F ratio at the header collector. So, with our equipment a 13.5 measured at the tail pipe should be about a 13.1 at the header.

Originally Posted by tequilaboy
Nice gains!

Would you be willing to share your spark advance and AFR targets in PE that resulted in these gains?

38 degrees advance or more? Some have reported good results with up to 42 degrees advance with 113 heads.
I left my laptop at work last night, so I don't have the exact changes, but I'll give you what I can from memory right now.

As far as fuel, all I really changed was the PE table and PE/coolant table. I used the PE coolant table to make global changes to the fuel curve while at WOT and the PE/KPA/RPM table to make small adjustments.

My timing is no where near 42. In the timing table, I think the maximum value at 100 KPA is 29. My base timing is 6, so that should give me about 35 degrees of total advance in the upper RPM's at WOT. I tried more timing, but I started to get knock retard so I backed it back down.

Thanks for the kind words Chris. I've still got my work cut out for me trying to run you down, you are making 100 more RWHP than I am. Once I do the LT1 intake, and hit it with the 100 shot I think we'll be pretty close. If not, I've always got the 150 jets!

Get notified of new replies

To Spent the day on the dyno

Quick Reply: Spent the day on the dyno