C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hard starting on my 88 after warmup

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:20 AM
black85
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

oh wait.....you mean the check valve! Ah. Is that on the fuel pump?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by black85
Don't want to thread jack, but what is the "thr ck" valve? Just guessing, but a check valve on the fuel pump?

...typo of the word "THE"..has been corrected......do you have a helms service manual?...(i will pick this thread up tomorrow afternoon)..
Old 08-09-2007, 07:21 AM
GIJoe
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by rib_lover
I had a similar problem on my 90. Started great cold but took 5-10 seconds of grinding to start. I did all of the FSM fuel pressure tests and it looked like my injectors were leaking. I sent them to Rich at Cruzing Performance and he said they were fine and shipped them back.

After some digging around I found that the fuel pressure diaphram was leaking gas into the top of the regulator housing and from there into the plenum thereby flooding the engine.

I am not familar with the 88 but I believe it has a similar fuel pressure regulator. My suggestion is to run the engine for a few minutes, shutdown, then pop the plenum hose off of the regulator and see if gas comes out. If is does you have a bad diaphram. ($35 at Autozone)

Its a simple test and may reveal the problem.
I am having the same issue for a long while now.
After a tune up it was fine, but is back to doing it again, and getting worse.
My 1st thought is leaking injectors (130K miles), but this idea would also be a time/money saver too since I don't think that has ever been replaced either.

Thanks for the tip!!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GIJoe
I am having the same issue for a long while now.
After a tune up it was fine, but is back to doing it again, and getting worse.
My 1st thought is leaking injectors (130K miles), but this idea would also be a time/money saver too since I don't think that has ever been replaced either.

Thanks for the tip!!
i was just (7:20am) now able to get back to this thing as i am getting ready to walk out the door. me myself - i looked at the fp reg vac line as the first thing when i got fed up with the "hard starting issue", and found no fuel in the line at all. i went so far as to detach the line and plug the intake port with no change whatsoever. in answer to the original posters' question, there is a check valve in the fuel system if i can recall and if it is faulty, the rail may not retain pressure and bleed down quickly which is also a sigh of bad injectors. i've had a half cup of coffe this moring so, if i am incorrect, someone set it straight for the poster and i will edit my post when i return..
Old 08-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Great timing with this thread. I'm fighting a very similar issue with my GTA right now. Many people have suggested injectors, but it never dawned on any of them (nor me) to check the CTV. One question though... how long does it take for the leaking gas to evaporate? My car will start beautifully when cold, or if it's only been shut off for a minute. But, anything from say 10 or 15 minutes all the way to 4-6 hours later, it will crank forever, then I've got to give it some gas to get it to "catch" and slowly start up. I put a fuel pressure gauge on it, and after about 30-40 minutes my pressure bleeds down to about 20lbs. Is that slow of a pressure bleed potentially allowing enough gas into the motor to cause a hard start 4-5 hours later?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Great timing with this thread. I'm fighting a very similar issue with my GTA right now. Many people have suggested injectors, but it never dawned on any of them (nor me) to check the CTV. One question though... how long does it take for the leaking gas to evaporate? My car will start beautifully when cold, or if it's only been shut off for a minute. But, anything from say 10 or 15 minutes all the way to 4-6 hours later, it will crank forever, then I've got to give it some gas to get it to "catch" and slowly start up. I put a fuel pressure gauge on it, and after about 30-40 minutes my pressure bleeds down to about 20lbs. Is that slow of a pressure bleed potentially allowing enough gas into the motor to cause a hard start 4-5 hours later?
That doesn't sound that bad of a leak down time, but it may be enough to be the cause of your problem. Try warming the car up and then letting it sit for just 30 minutes to an hour. Before you turn the key to restart, push the throttle pedal all the way to the floor and keep it there as you start the car. If it starts noticably faster, then you most likely have a leaking injector(s). When the pedal is all the way down at key-on, the ECM goes into "clear-flood" mode and severely restricts fuel to the injectors at startup. If you have fuel that leaked into the intake, but hasn't all evaporated, the leaked fuel will be enough to help start the car even in clear-flood mode.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Thanks. Next time I drive the car I'll give that a try.

Quick Reply: Hard starting on my 88 after warmup