C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

big problem with ATI balancer

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:08 PM
GS977
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default big problem with ATI balancer

the problem is IT WON'T COME OFF
whats the deal??? how do you get it off. the part # is 917275 for an 96lt4
the 3 12 point 10mm bolts won't come out. after hours of trying i got 1 out. the other 2 just rounded off right away. the T-40 bolts well my T-40 tool broke off in the first one right away also. it didn't even budge. the only bolt i could get out was the 5/8 bolt that holds the ATI to the crank. i ended up trying the old vise grips on the 2 that rounded off and they won't budge just got worse. so i had to cut the heads off of those 2 after there wasn't anything left to grip and the balancer still won't budge. how do i get it off
Old 07-22-2007, 02:01 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My 274 calls for a T-40 PLUS bit, not a T-40. Went everywhere trying to find one without success. Ended up ordering one from Summit.

If the PLUS won't loosen them - because of the condition the bolts are now in - you may end up having to drill them. Before doing that, I'd give ATI a call and see what they recommend. I'd be against using heat though; no telling what that would do to the damper's internals.

You can try PB Blaster, but if the bit can't get a GOOD bite, even that may not work.

Did you use Anti-Seize on the threads when you installed the damper?

Hope this helps.

Jake
Old 07-22-2007, 02:03 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

BTW, my damper is an extremely close fit to the hub. To remove mine, I had to make ABSOLUTELY sure I was pulling straight without the least amount of angle as I pulled on it.

Jake

Get notified of new replies

To big problem with ATI balancer

Quick Reply: big problem with ATI balancer