C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Clean out the crap between radiator and condenser!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:42 PM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Clean out the crap between radiator and condenser!

I've been reading all the posts about every thermostat temp from 160-200+ deg. what works and doesn't.
Having been about 10 years since I last replaced my radiator (although I do flush it myself or have it power flushed every year or so) I decided to pull off the radiator shroud just to see how much crap was there!
Boy!
As one other forum member said..you find everything in there!

No wonder vetts can't get cool or stay cool ever on the highway!
I pulled out shredded plastic grocery store bags, leaves, newspaper, pine needles...everything but the neighborhood stray cat!

So before you start to change out the thermostat clean out the crap!
I blew forward with compressed air thought the radiator as well as AC condenser as best I could.

I also drained out about a gallon of very green coolant from the radiator and replaced with clear tap water. Then added some of the green coolant i drained out back into the overflow tank ..just in case.

I started the car, AC on, radiator cap off and waited till the 180 thermo kicked in then gradually adding clear water till it was full while circulating. Put back on cap and good to go!

I have had a chip installed to turn on the main fans lower temp, 180 thermo and 200 on/185 of aux fan switch setup for several years now.
It was working great till over the last year or two the coolant temp was gradually getting higher-even after last summer power flush.

Now my around town as well as highway cruising temps are about 15-20 degrees lower than previous.

I think my problems were I had too much antifreeze in the system as well as the big problem of crap between the radiator and condenser.

I did bypass the throttle body yesterday too but I doubt that had much effect on the overall picture.

Just F.Y.I. for those having some cooling issues this summer!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:42 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by davidnclearlaketx
I pulled out shredded plastic grocery store bags, leaves, newspaper, pine needles...everything but the neighborhood stray cat!
Keep looking.

It was working great till over the last year or two the coolant temp was gradually getting higher-even after last summer power flush.

I think my problems were I had too much antifreeze in the system as well as the big problem of crap between the radiator and condenser.
As you seem to be aware, water is a more efficient coolant than antifreeze, but unless you had a stronger than 50/50 mix, I doubt watering down your coolant had much to do with your lower operating temps. Remember, the antifreeze you removed has water pump lubricants and an additive package that protects your cooling system. A 50/50 mix is recommended for all climates, regardless of the season or freeze protection needed.

The cleaning of the debris was the main reason for the lower temps.

A good reminder and good post.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Lichen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, CFI-EFI and other penny-pinchers might disagree, but what's $150 for a new radiator? You can flush out all of the leaves and dead cats that you want, but the fins are still full of tiny pieces of gravel that clog up the air-flow. You have a Corvette! Pull out the wallet and join the madness!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:29 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Lichen
Well, CFI-EFI and other penny-pinchers might disagree, but what's $150 for a new radiator? You can flush out all of the leaves and dead cats that you want, but the fins are still full of tiny pieces of gravel that clog up the air-flow. You have a Corvette! Pull out the wallet and join the madness!
Cool: since your so loaded, how about buying me a radiator, only $150.... so pull our the wallet and send the part....
Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 AM
carriker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to clean mine out. My temps are high!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 AM
carriker
Pro

Plus my neighbor is looking for his cat.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:00 AM
Daddy J
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-10-2007, 03:58 AM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

Originally Posted by carriker
Plus my neighbor is looking for his cat.
Might be here:

or here:

Or maybe just hanging around..

or the aux fan in front of the radiator already did him in and the sucker fan behind the radiator finished him off.....

Old 07-10-2007, 07:35 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After replacing my radiator, I bought some fine mesh screen from Ace and cut it to fit the opening for the incoming air. It slip fits at the top and I used the bolts that hold the air dam to secure the bottom. You would not believe the crap the screen catches on a regular basis. Sorry no pics, but it is really easy to do and is practically invisable unless you kneel down to look at it.
Bernie
Old 07-10-2007, 07:56 AM
bd2626
Drifting

I've been reading all the posts about every thermostat temp from 160-200+ deg. what works and doesn't.
Having been about 10 years since I last replaced my radiator (although I do flush it myself or have it power flushed every year or so) I decided to pull off the radiator shroud just to see how much crap was there!
Boy!
As one other forum member said..you find everything in there!

No wonder vetts can't get cool or stay cool ever on the highway!

So before you start to change out the thermostat clean out the crap!
I blew forward with compressed air thought the radiator as well as AC condenser as best I could.

I also drained out about a gallon of very green coolant from the radiator and replaced with clear tap water. Then added some of the green coolant i drained out back into the overflow tank ..just in case.

I started the car, AC on, radiator cap off and waited till the 180 thermo kicked in then gradually adding clear water till it was full while circulating. Put back on cap and good to go!

I have had a chip installed to turn on the main fans lower temp, 180 thermo and 200 on/185 of aux fan switch setup for several years now.

Now my around town as well as highway cruising temps are about 15-20 degrees lower than previous.

I did bypass the throttle body yesterday too but I doubt that had much effect on the overall picture.

So that's where my neighbors cat got to!

Enjoy the ride!
Old 07-10-2007, 09:28 AM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Lichen
You are right. I DO disagree. And if not throwing away a $150.00 part and spending an hour or two cleaning it makes me a penny pincher, I plead guilty; and damn proud of it. Not many of us can earn $75.00 to $150.00 an hour in our "off" time. My radiator is 24 years old. My engine runs cooler than I think it should. I need to go back to the 195° stat. In those 24 years, how many times should I have replaced my radiator? Let's see, here, $150.00 times...??? That could run into money. I'll leave my wallet where it is until I NEED a radiator. You are welcome to my share of the madness.

RACE ON!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 12:38 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced my original rad with a Dewitts but I did keep my old rad as an extra in case something happens to the new one. I can't blame anyone for saving money. I did save money to buy the DeWitt and do almost all the work on my car to save money so I will have more to spend on it.
Bernie
Old 07-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Lichen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
You are right. I DO disagree. And if not throwing away a $150.00 part and spending an hour or two cleaning it makes me a penny pincher, I plead guilty; and damn proud of it. Not many of us can earn $75.00 to $150.00 an hour in our "off" time. My radiator is 24 years old. My engine runs cooler than I think it should. I need to go back to the 195° stat. In those 24 years, how many times should I have replaced my radiator? Let's see, here, $150.00 times...??? That could run into money. I'll leave my wallet where it is until I NEED a radiator. You are welcome to my share of the madness.

RACE ON!!!
Oh, I understand your point of view completely. And I'm sure that you have rigorously maintained your radiator over the years. But many cooling systems have been neglected and I think that $150 spent on a radiator makes much more sense than spending $150 a wing, or ground effects, or other crazy items that MAM sells.

Get notified of new replies

To Clean out the crap between radiator and condenser!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clean out the crap between radiator and condenser!