C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Building a Second Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Jansenwins
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building a Second Engine

Background...I took my tired, worn out 1985 TPI engine and converted it to carb along with cam, heads, longtube headers, etc. The car runs great. In the process of the conversion I saved all the original TPI stuff...and the harness, etc is still in the car.

Here's the situation now....I have a brand new 30 over 355 shortblock assembled on the stand. All fresh machined 4 bolt block, forged internals, including wisco flat top pistons and oliver 5.7 rods. Crank is forged also with stock 350 stroke. I've installed a comp cams retro hydraulic roller, 218, 218 495, 495, 112 degree camshaft with matching roller lifters. I have a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads, brand new with all new hardware, 170cc performers. The car has the stock 700r, a Pete K 2800 stall tc, and stock 3.07 rear gear.

Help me make this a nice TPI engine...I need help selecting components! Intake? miniram or super ram? throttle body? etc.

My goals...Right now in the car I've got an engine that makes great top end HP and OK torque. Unfortuantely, I can't really enjoy the HP without breaking the law. I am most interested in building this engine for low end acceleration off a stop light, torque, and good fuel economy. I assume a good HP and torque goal is in the 375 range???Additionally, I am now more interested in learning the fuel injection technology, tuning, etc. In the past, I just didn't have the interest.

Please help me with what direction I should go to accomplish my goals. Thanks, in advance...I'm gonna have a lot to learn.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you want to spin the motor hard(6000 and up), without a doubt miniram. The cam is rather mild for twisting it hard, so I personally would go super ram.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Jansenwins
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pete K
If you want to spin the motor hard(6000 and up), without a doubt miniram. The cam is rather mild for twisting it hard, so I personally would go super ram.

Thanks Pete...I knew you would be along soon!

I would really like to make power in the 1800 to 5500 rpm range.

At at the risk of sounding pretty darn stupid...what all comes with the purchase of a super ram? How about brand?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jansenwins
Thanks Pete...I knew you would be along soon!

I would really like to make power in the 1800 to 5500 rpm range.

At at the risk of sounding pretty darn stupid...what all comes with the purchase of a super ram? How about brand?

Thanks
With that rpm range, you will absolutely love the super ram. With that cam, it will likely start to pull hard about 2800rpm and up to about 5400 rpm, and is a nice match to the 3:07's.
The super ram is sold as a rinner and plenum combo. The lower base manifold is sold seperately, but will work with a stock or aftermarket base. Stock throttle body will bolt up as well. Tough install, but an almost direct bolt on.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Jansenwins
Instructor

With that rpm range, you will absolutely love the super ram. With that cam, it will likely start to pull hard about 2800rpm and up to about 5400 rpm, and is a nice match to the 3:07's.
The super ram is sold as a rinner and plenum combo. The lower base manifold is sold seperately, but will work with a stock or aftermarket base. Stock throttle body will bolt up as well. Tough install, but an almost direct bolt on.
Thanks again Pete. Two questions:

Is there a brand of Super Ram you would suggest...perhaps there is only one brand?

What lower base manifold would you then recommend?

Old 07-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jansenwins
Thanks again Pete. Two questions:

Is there a brand of Super Ram you would suggest...perhaps there is only one brand?

What lower base manifold would you then recommend?

The super ram was designed by Lingenfelter and marketed through Accell. As far as I know, that was the only company making them. I say was becuase they have not been producing them for some time. Rumor is they are looking for a new company to cast them, but who knows?
There are 3 base manifolds I am aware of:
edelbrock
accell
and tpis
Rumor is, they are cast by edelbrock, but not 100% sure.
I was not inpressed with the overpriced tpis base. If buying and of the 3 I mentioned, I would buy the cheapest.
I had a stock manifold ported for $100 and the tpis did not pick up the power over a ported stocker.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Maximus9000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Google search for runner plenum part number

Google search for accel base

That AutoTruckPart.com seems cheapest.
They also list two prices for the same base.

I just wonder if they actually have them?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:49 PM
black96lt4c4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ran an accel super ram about 10 years ago on a zz4 crate engine in a gta.i had problems at first trying to tune it,using a laptop,but the accel people helped me over the phone and when i got it right it ran great.i ran the ford motorsport 24# injectors.it seems all i had to do was remove the injector clips to run them.they were cheap in comparison to others and worked great.youre post caught my eye because i also replaced the carb with the superram to get an inspection sticker in dallas.youre engine combo looks like it has more "pep" than my zz4 did,and im sure the pontiac was much more heavy than youre car so that thing should run really good whatever intake system you choose. on the hotrod power tour this year,an older camaro had the accel intake and he said that he bought his used.it ran really good also.good luck.junior.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:22 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

What about a converted LT1 manifold? There was a post about someone with highly modified engine who changed from a Super Ram to a LT1 and he picked up 40+ HP.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:20 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Originally Posted by RandyJ75
What about a converted LT1 manifold? There was a post about someone with highly modified engine who changed from a Super Ram to a LT1 and he picked up 40+ HP.
True. I only mentioned miniram because most are not willing to convert a manifold.

Get notified of new replies

To Building a Second Engine

Quick Reply: Building a Second Engine