C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Why not drag radials?????????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2001, 08:50 AM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Why not drag radials?????????????????????

I read so many post here about guys going to the track (more than once) and telling us how well they did but then they make excuses for there slow 60' times. I really don't see what the big deal is for someone to buy a extra set of wheels and a set of drag radials. I'm not saying race wheels but stock used wheels w/DR and swap them when you go to the track.
I find this interesing, I know it can't be money????
Let me know your reasons.
Old 10-28-2001, 09:47 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Why not drag radials????????????????????? (mackeyred96)

I have drag radials on the back on the original rims. Now all I need is some practice :)

Old 10-28-2001, 10:07 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm, for some reason I think you are directing this at me. Not to start a fight or anything, but it's a whole lot easier to get a good time out of an auto. You are removing a lot of the variables.

The only excuse I have is my driving ability. It's all in practice and learning, don't expect everybody to be a pro. I'm sure you sucked when you were new at the sport too.

Example, there is a guy in our car club who has an LS1 Z -28 that can run 11.50's all day long. Another guy has the same stuff in his car, the car's dyno very close to the same, except he can only manage a 13.22. The reason? He thinks he can out-shift the computer on his auto tranny. You can hear him tapping the rev-limter to the 1/8th before he shifts it into second. His excuse? It wouldn't shift!!! It wouldn't shift because he wouldn't put it in second. His car is more than capable of 11's, he just enjoy's talking trash and then making excuses.

Give the rookies a break. It's not all the tires, a fast car with a bad driver is still slow. Unless you are there to see what really happens I wouldn't jump to conclusions about what is wrong. I know one person who can get 1.6 60's on his street tires, in a manual.

Reason's for not having my own drag radials you ask, or not having drag radials at all? I want my car to be fast anytime, not just at the track. When I go to buy parts I look at streetability and weigh my options. That's why I would rather have a supercharger than nitrous. Both are just as dangerous, but you don't have to fill up a supercharger. In my opinion I will get more use out of other mods than a set of tires. I could spend my money on something that will make my car faster and more fun to drive, or I could spend it on some tires that I'll only use once a month or so should I want to venture to the track. I want something that is fast all the time, not only when I happen to have those tires on it. I use my car 99% daily driver basic transportation, 1% racing. That 1% does not justify another set of tires sitting around taking up room which I am critically short of. It's a cost/benifit analysis.

Please don't take it the wrong way, I value the advice of anybody on the forum.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:36 AM
vettercr87
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with you John ALOT of people(my friends mostly)go with their tires that "kinda" work rather then get extra wheels and do it right.With slicks(or drag radials) you can go get your best time and leave happy rather then go get a few runs in and have the car not hook then wonder what they would have done if it did.There must be some reason but I am not sure what it is. :confused:

[Modified by vettercr87, 2:38 PM 10/28/2001]
Old 10-28-2001, 10:44 AM
Springer's LT4
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: Why not drag radials????????????????????? (vettercr87)

I agree with Mackey 100%... When I use to be into drag racing heavily... I was always told that every tenth in the 60 foot is twice that on the other end. If you drag more then once a year or so.. why not buy a set of tires that are made for the track instead of using your street tires and wearing them down sooner... Either way your buying tires and you'll get the better performance to boot.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:55 AM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default Re: Why not drag radials????????????????????? (vettercr87)

Well, I certainly don't complain about not having a set of DRs, because I just don't give a flying banana about what ultimate ET I could run, at the strip, with DRs, and skinnies, and a loose swaybar, and all that other trick crud.

I just think that if you can't do it wearing a set of street tires it's not worth doing. Obviously, drag racing is a means for me, and not an end of itself.

And yes, since you were obviously *not* talking about me, since I don't gripe about lack of drag radials...consider this the worthless opinion that it is.
Old 10-28-2001, 10:59 AM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: Why not drag radials????????????????????? (Matt Black)

Sticky Tires are the single most important element of Drag Racing.

Using myself as an example: My best et on Slicks is 11.55 with a 1.55 60 ft.... on street tires is a 2.00 and 12.20...... 6.5 tenths difference in my case.... that rivals Nitrous as a modification. If you want to just go out and race a couple of buddies and you're not worried about running anywhere close to your racecars potential.... go ahead and race on street tires.... but if you're out to get timeslips you can be proud off.... get some tire underneath you.

cheers,
Beach
Old 10-28-2001, 11:35 AM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

John

I have to agree with you. Everyone needs DR's if they want to see the best ET.

I was running DR's when my car was bone stock.

Vic
Old 10-28-2001, 12:48 PM
WG87
Advanced

Default Re: Why not drag radials????????????????????? (Vic'89)

John

Me....I'am just lazy, drs on car 100% of the time, don't drive the thing everyday anyway. don't like swapping tires at the track been there done that (see first line..lazy). should buy bfg and nitto stock, go throughem like butter on biscuits, 60s 1.78-1.83, haven't tried with this car but have seen good results with vht and drs if you getum hot enough, some people don't think so but this is just my opion, hell the stuffs not but about 25.00 a gal, 5 guys- 5.00 apiece to try it ,if the track you run will let you

Wayne
:seeya
Old 10-28-2001, 12:59 PM
CaneinBatonRouge
Racer

I can't speak for everyone, but I just don't need them,YET. But, I am prepared to need them one day, I already have a pair of 86 rims to put them on. As of right now, with 2.59's and the power I make, my street tires keep me in the 2.0x range. However, I do see your point about people making excuses for something easily fixed. :cheers: :flag
Old 10-28-2001, 01:05 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Why not drag radials????????????????????? (WG87)

john, i guess it comes down to if you are serioius about racing or not. If you're not serious and go to the track a couple of times a year, then why bother with DRs? And i guess if someone wants to bitcch about not getting traction with their street tires, it's OK. its sorta like complaining your car isn't fast because its slow. If you are going to use ETs as a benchmark, and you are not willing to optimize for it, then you get what you get.

to me if you are going to make your car fast...it should have a purpose. If you have a car that can go 200mph, cut corners like a knife or launches like the space shuttle...USE IT!!! What good is it if you just drive 55. IF you build a car to go 200mph, take to the salt flats or the silver state classic or something. IF you build it cut corners, autox it or road race it. If you build a car to oppimize ETs, then drag race it...OR all of the above. Otherwise i'd be happy with a stock vette, which is already better at most things than most other cars....but that's just me
Old 10-28-2001, 01:08 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I don't have Drag Radials........

I went with Mickey Thompson ET Streets, and I would reccomend them to anyone!!! :D
Tony
Old 10-28-2001, 02:33 PM
LT401Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Nathan Plemons,
might I suggest Nittos... That is what I drive on the street full time. They out last GSC's for me because they are not spinning all the time. They are usually good for ~10,000 miles unless you race and burn out on them regularly.
Besides, who wants to have tires on the back of their car that are over a year old, if you care about hook at all. All of them, GSC's, Firehawks, Nittos....... harden and don't hook nearly as well with a years age on them. I have seen quite a few people complain they can't hook, when I look at their back tires not are they standard radials, but radials with dry rot cracks in them. That is like trying to hook up with the hard plastic tire on a big wheel.
Old 10-28-2001, 08:23 PM
smallblock
Pro

dragradials?? That's an easy one. When my car hit second gear and almost took out the jersey barrier the dragradials went on ...and stayed on :eek: :eek:
Old 10-28-2001, 08:41 PM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not?

450+ lbs of torque mixed with a 2800 stall converter and a Dana 36 rear end, thats why not.

The D36 isn't my final rear end, but it does work right now. I fear that a few runs with traction and it will be in more than one piece. :(
Old 10-28-2001, 08:43 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Why not drag radials????????????????????? (smallblock)

I don't run DR because I want to know what my car runs on the street. This is where I play and this is where it matters to me. I don't make excuses about my 60 foot time either. Ya I could run DR all the time, but the weather in Washington is prohibitive most of the time. I say to each their own!!!! Keep it safe...
Old 10-28-2001, 10:18 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Why not drag radials????????????????????? (Nathan Plemons)

Unless you are there to see what really happens I wouldn't jump to conclusions about what is wrong. I know one person who can get 1.6 60's on his street tires, in a manual.

Please... give me a break... :bs 1.60 60' times with a manual on street tires... I know a guy who is selling a bridge too..
Give us your "opinion" and you can disagree with Mackey all you want, I do often, but I hate it when someone tries to BS that BAD... I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw.. but 1.60 on street tires with a stick..

gimmie a break.... :U

Get notified of new replies

To Why not drag radials?????????????????????

Old 10-28-2001, 10:35 PM
hookedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Why not drag radials????????????????????? (Red96Coupe)

I guess I belong in the lazy group, I just leave them on all the time! Drive with a little common sense when it rains, like JP says, and they're OK for everyday. That way they're there if you need them, and you don't have to change them at the track, be safe out there for all our souls, Dave ;)
Old 10-28-2001, 11:32 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Why not drag radials????????????????????? (Red96Coupe)

Well, street tires is a "loose" term. Technically my ET streets are DOT legal, and I have gotten a 1.67 sixty ft!!! Now really, don't flame me, I am just goofing off. I would have to see it to believe that some guy can get in the 1.60's with real radial street tires :bs
Tony
Old 10-28-2001, 11:36 PM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Why not drag radials????????????????????? (KLLRVET)

Why not?? Cuz I don't want to break my rear end ;) j/k

Quick Reply: Why not drag radials?????????????????????