C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Installed 1.6 rockers on a L98 Now smokes

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Mike mike
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed 1.6 rockers on a L98 Now smokes

Just a little info on the heads in the car. They were COMPLETELY redone. They have 5k miles on them. NEVER had any issues with them. Ok, now on to the story.I installed Comp Cams 1.6 roller rockers. Thats where all my problems started. When I first fired it up, no problem. After 2-3 minutes it looked like I swapped out the L98 for a coal burning steam engine! Did the install correct. I have done these before. Called Comp Cams to make sure they sent the correct part. Yes its the right part. I know that even if it was not right it would do a lot of things but smokeing is not one of the things. Even the Tech said "rockers will not make the engine smoke" It starts fine drives fine even has power! just smokes like a SOB! The only thing I can think of is before I put the valve covers back on I covered the rocker assembly with oil. Maybe, Just Maybe, oil found its way down the valve stem. With this idea in my skull, I went on a 1 hour highway drive. Nice and easy. I figured, Ok I'll let then engine come up to temp and burn the extra oil off and be done with it. It worked! That is untill I pulled into my driveway and was waiting for the garage door to open. Like magic, it started doing it again. I checked the oil level maybe its over filled .The level looks fine. Now Im thinking that the assembly lube that CompCams sends with the rockers is mixed with the engine oil and makeing it smoke? I dont know. Again runs fine drives fine temps are fine. What do you guys think?
Old 06-16-2007, 08:24 PM
dan410
Heel & Toe

Just a guess here, but maybe since the new rockers push the valves open a little farther, there was some gunk on the valve stems that messed up the valve-stem oil-seals.

How did everything look when you did the install? Was it all clean-looking?
Old 06-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Mike mike
Intermediate

Everything looked clean. But you cant see much of the stem through the dual springs.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed 1.6 rockers on a L98 Now smokes

Quick Reply: Installed 1.6 rockers on a L98 Now smokes