C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

greenwood effect on speed / handling

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default greenwood effect on speed / handling

So what do you guys think would be the greenwood body kits effect on top speed? Anyone know if it was originally marketed as a speed improver - or a handling improver?

If it was for handling - it would increase down force - which would effect top speed - right?

So what do you think or know about it's effects - promised and or delivered.

I can now tell you what it does to highspeed, but i want to see what you guys think before I post our results - before and after the body kit!

Carl Johansson
Old 06-11-2007, 11:41 AM
BigLee
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in total drag, chances are, it is increased. as for downforce, i dunno.
but downforce is often generated at the expense of increased total drag, which means probably lower top speeds...
Old 06-11-2007, 11:43 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

It makes you look ugly doing it
Old 06-11-2007, 11:48 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Pryderei
It makes you look ugly doing it
Old 06-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Kool88vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it adds weight which will slow you down. I doubt that you will get a Vette to run faster with any type of added fiberglass. Some people like the way it looks. I don't care for it,
Old 06-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Johansson
So what do you guys think would be the greenwood body kits effect on
top speed? Anyone know if it was originally marketed as a speed
improver - or a handling improver?
Parsed from the Greenwood site

With the development of the G4R body conversion Greenwood has taken styling, aerodynamics and quality to a new level. The Greenwoods consider the G4 series to be the most effective and street practical conversion they have introduced.

The exciting appearance of the Greenwood G4R package comes largely as a result of a seriously functional design. Aerodynamics are designed to be felt at reasonable speeds. You don't have to drive at the redline to feel the change in your car's stabilty. Competition tested, the overwhelming effectiveness was proven on Sean Roe's Greenwood-bodied Corvette which proved capable of dominating races and setting records in the Bridgestone Supercar Series. Adapted for the street and now available for your Corvette, the G4R package offers many features coveted by the discerning enthusiast.

IMPROVED PERFORMANCE

The improved stability, and grip are remarkable and felt at reasonable speeds. Optional Windshield Fairings and Mirrors reduce turbulence and noticeably quiet the interior.

BETTER COOLING

Unlike the competition, the Greenwood package actually improves the cooling. The Front Wing virtually force feeds air to the radiator and Hood Louvers and side louvers increase the venting of heat from the engine compartment and improve the function of the radiator.

PROTECTION FOR YOUR INVESTMENT

Hard rubber skids on the bottoms of the Front Spoiler and Rear Quarters prevent painted surfaces from scraping the pavement.

This all serial numbered package represents a culmination of years of research and development. We've placed tremendous attention to detail as we considered each and every facet of the driveability of your car. Be among the few to own one of these true collector cars.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

So what do you guys think would be the greenwood body kits effect on
top speed? Anyone know if it was originally marketed as a speed
improver - or a handling improver?
Parsed from the Greenwood site

With the development of the G4R body conversion Greenwood has taken styling, aerodynamics and quality to a new level. The Greenwoods consider the G4 series to be the most effective and street practical conversion they have introduced.

The exciting appearance of the Greenwood G4R package comes largely as a result of a seriously functional design. Aerodynamics are designed to be felt at reasonable speeds. You don't have to drive at the redline to feel the change in your car's stabilty. Competition tested, the overwhelming effectiveness was proven on Sean Roe's Greenwood-bodied Corvette which proved capable of dominating races and setting records in the Bridgestone Supercar Series. Adapted for the street and now available for your Corvette, the G4R package offers many features coveted by the discerning enthusiast.

IMPROVED PERFORMANCE

The improved stability, and grip are remarkable and felt at reasonable speeds. Optional Windshield Fairings and Mirrors reduce turbulence and noticeably quiet the interior.

BETTER COOLING

Unlike the competition, the Greenwood package actually improves the cooling. The Front Wing virtually force feeds air to the radiator and Hood Louvers and side louvers increase the venting of heat from the engine compartment and improve the function of the radiator.

PROTECTION FOR YOUR INVESTMENT

Hard rubber skids on the bottoms of the Front Spoiler and Rear Quarters prevent painted surfaces from scraping the pavement.

This all serial numbered package represents a culmination of years of research and development. We've placed tremendous attention to detail as we considered each and every facet of the driveability of your car. Be among the few to own one of these true collector cars.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 PM
BigLee
Racer

what? no curb feelers as std. equipment???
Old 06-11-2007, 02:47 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.....So what do you think or know about it's effects - promised and or delivered......
Carl Johansson
What is interesting about the Greenwood site is they don't promise you anything except a new look.......no coefficient of drag data or anything specific whatsoever...and they describe their kits as for street applications

If it worked they would include either some track results or test lab data..

So my bet is it did NOT deliver anything but a new look......

So lower top speed is my quess

Old 06-11-2007, 02:58 PM
SuperL98
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 254 Posts

All I can contribute is my first hand experience.
With the stock body, mine would start to feel very light at around 147-150 mph, very similar to the feel of a light plane when you start to reach take off speed (if you've ever flown).
Never felt comfortable going much faster than that with the stock body.
With the Greenwood kit, no such feeling all the way up to 182 mph (my personnel limit not the cars).
It squats down rather than lifts, especially in the back.
Can't compare top speed effects (drag) for you, no hard data on that.
Only reason I live with the hastle, of the body kit, is that it does make the car much more "drivable", and less scary at speed.
My opinion
Old 06-11-2007, 03:23 PM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like downforce it is
Old 06-11-2007, 03:26 PM
BigLee
Racer

i`m actually amazed that kit didnt tear off the car at anywhere near 180 mph.....
Old 06-11-2007, 03:33 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

My stock body does great at 207 mph.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:35 PM
GT40_GearHead
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WTF... man you got issues !

..... what the Hell do you feed that thing
Old 06-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Where did you go 207 at? maxton? Shootout? Bonneville? In your dreams?

What kind of horsepower atr you laying down? What mods?

Carl Johansson
Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Old 06-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Well as far as we can tell - it cost us about 3.5 mph at 145. We ran last month at El Mirage - and went 142.3 (4 runs within .5 mph) . Took off the body kit - left everything else the same - went back this week and ran 145.7.

it was hotter - DA about 6000 ft I think, and we didn't have the taiolwind that we had last month - so it may have been an even bigger difference - but I have no way of quantifying that.

I'm guessing that the rear wing drag had alot to do with it - And that front scoop had to slow us down also.

as for unstable at 145 with stock body - i've been there lots of times - bonneville el mirage etc - our experience is that a stock bodied C-4 gets more stable at those speeds. No wandering - none of the long rumored - often disproved BS about front end lift!

In fact there are numerous stock bodied C-4's running between 230 - 270 - funny - none of them report any difficulties with "light noses".

A forum member reported engineering data from windtunnel tests showing about 150 lbs of lift at ? 120 mph?. Compare that to the weight of the car - Most cars develop "lift" at higher speeds - but that lift is negligable when you take into consideration the weight of the cars!

Sometimes it's better to actually listen to experience - instead of some recliner chair jockey repeating urban legends about the infamous flying vettes!

Carl Johansson

Get notified of new replies

To greenwood effect on speed / handling

Old 06-11-2007, 05:06 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Really.....
Old 06-11-2007, 05:15 PM
etown brawler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me to i went 210 mph in my stock body vette with my top down and pamala anderson was in the passangers seat.,no no on my lap
Old 06-11-2007, 05:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by etown brawler
me to i went 210 mph in my stock body vette with my top down and pamala anderson was in the passangers seat.,no no on my lap
Thought that was her in the passenger seat when I passed you at 227.3rns

Quick Reply: greenwood effect on speed / handling