C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How does the 1st gen Viper compare with the LT1 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Repzard
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry CC for posting in your thread ...No facts I can take it like a Man

Last edited by Repzard; 06-10-2007 at 03:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:45 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,
Having played around with some RT-10 vipers (early model's I would assume) I can tell you it won't take TOO much to stay with them (as far as drag racing goes) couldn't tell you about road racing as I've never had the pleasure.
I CAN tell you that my vette on the 125hp jets, kept right up with a viper from a 25mph roll.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Sawbone
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by VtVette
I was talking with our bookkeeper the other day. He owned a dodge dealership back in the early 90s and thus bought a early Viper when they first came out. He was also a factory driver in the SCCA ProRally series for Volkswagen....
....PM me with any specific questions you would like me to ask him and I will get you some answers.
My question is... how did he go from owning a dodge dealership and driving rally cars to being your bookkeeper?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:49 PM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by teufelhund
Track weapon.... It would take a C5 Z06 or C6 Z06 to be able to run with even a Gen 1 viper on a road coarse...... I've driven a viper and a C5 Z and I'm sorry but the viper wins. It's tire size alone dwarfs that of a corvette. And a road coarse is all about traction, center of gravity and ridged handling and that's what the viper does best.

As a car to own and drive- If it's a daily driver there is no question the vette is better.

It's like compairing Jack with Jim Bean either way you look at it you're going to be drunk soon so which do you like more............
Everything you said is absolutely correct. I know for a fact that an RT-10 will beat my C5 on a road course. They, RT-10, handle very well on a road course. Now if the course is real tight (autocross) then you would definitely have it out of its class. But on a road course it wouldn't even be close. I have an SRT-10 that absolutely demolishes my C5 on the road course and my SRT-10 doesn't just run off and leave the RT-10. What I am trying to say is that the RT-10 can hang pretty good with my SRT-10 but can easily beat my C5. For those thinking it will be a drivers race then you must be talking about a really good driver in the vette and a novice driver in the Viper. Not only will it take you on the straights but also in the turns. With the better braking, which is phenomenal, a good driver will be able to speed into the turn alot faster and then exit the turn faster. Total advantage Viper. BTW I know what I am referencing because I have a C4 as well and my C5 will totally

leave my C4 on the road course.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 375 Likes on 311 Posts

At HPDE's or something more competitive? I have been doing HPDE's and it's tough to judge the cars because of the wide range in driver skill. I would move up in class but they all run track tires. For example at my last event there was a C6 that did not have any faster lap times then my C4.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Camaro350z28
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well how does to zr1 stack up to it? should be able to hold its own better on the straights and tires are a little bigger? is the viper that much better at handling?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:43 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sawbone
My question is... how did he go from owning a dodge dealership and driving rally cars to being your bookkeeper?
LOL he's in his mid/late 50s now. He was active in rally racing in the late 70s to the early 90s. He was a factory drier for VW in the early 90s. He owned a number of Ford/Lincoln dealers and a Dodge dealership in the 80's/early 90s. I think he sold the last one in '95 or '96. At that point he was "retired" but wanted to do something to keep himself busy. He was always into rallying and knew my boss well so he came on part time at the shop I work at to help with the books, parts sales etc for a few hours a day. This was back when the shop had three employees, 1997. It was never about making money for him, just something to keep him busy. Now we have 18 employees and two bookkeepers.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:46 PM
hgh pwr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the early vipers were low 12 sec. stock on the strip,stock lt1 high 13-low 14.I know there are some that are faster,but comparing the average cars the viper wins hands down.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:11 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hgh pwr
the early vipers were low 12 sec. stock on the strip,stock lt1 high 13-low 14.I know there are some that are faster,but comparing the average cars the viper wins hands down.
2 seconds faster?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Kinkajou
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the oportunity to watch some very hot laps at Hermanos Rodriguez racetrack in Mexico city. This is a very fast track where F1 took place some in the 80's.

Anyway they got an early Viper, a C5, a Mustang and a couple of other cars that I do not remember and the Viper would always lead the way.
All the cars where stock.

In the straights it would begin to take advantage to the Vette, not much, and when cornering the Vette would stick right behind without any trouble.

About 3 or four seconds distance would come the mustang and about other 10 seconds the other cars.

The Viper would pull out of the corners into the straight very fast.

I just need to make a remark, this racetrack is located at a very high altitud, about 2200mts above sea level, and cars tend to slow down quite a bit.
Just for your consideration a stock LT1 Vette runs the quarter mile in about mid 14's.

I do not know if the Viper is turbocharged but if it is maybe the advantage was there.

I will try to locate the pictures.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Central,
This is a short copy of the old Vette Viper Challenge rules that NASA was running:

Level One (V1)
All cars competing in this class must meet the following weight to horsepower ratios as indicated by
model.
C5 Corvette (97-03) 8.0:1 C4 Corvette (84-
96) 7.8:1 C3 Corvette (68-82) 7.5:1 Gen. 1
Viper (92-96) 7.5:1 Gen. 2 Viper (96-03)
8.0:1 Gen. 2 Viper with ABS 8.3:1

As you can see a National race organization w/ a lot of data on lap times , etc think they are pretty close and they try to keep it that way.

Put a cage in that motha and go have some fun.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

One event I was playing in, SCCA autocross solo II, there were a few Vipers. Both the Vipers and Vettes got embarrassed by the 4 wheel drive rice burners. The Vipers were champs at spins. but we all had a good time. Funny thing, when the Vettes and Vipers started up everybody stood up and ran to watch the big boys run.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:47 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
2 seconds faster?
Central,

Unlike a lot of the other posters it seems, I have driven both of the cars you want to compare. I rented a Gen I (1994?) Viper RT10 in Vegas in 1998 and I ran it hard on the street, pulled over every mile or so and did 0-100.

I had a 1993 LT1 6spd from 1998 (same time as the Viper) until mid 2005. I modded the LT1 to 352 rwhp in 2003.

What I have to say is that yes--I wouldn't doubt if the Viper is 2 s faster in the 1/4, with the right tires and a competent driver not afraid to drive it. The car has 335 width tires, and they were basically slicks. It had so much torque, that even in the heat, I spun the tires big time on my first launch, generating a cloud of smoke.

I noted when I was driving it in Vegas how much stronger the Viper was then my LT1--it was a big margin. The shifter was not nearly as nice though, very clunky, I messed a few Viper shifts. When I moded the LT1 in 2003, it was not such a night and day difference, there was more torque (336 rwtq vs 300 rwtq stock) and the motor pulled relentlessly to a higher redline (6300rpm), but it was still no Viper.

I think the stock LT1 might well hold onto the viper in the corners, but forget it in the straights on a road course, again, assuming same tire compound. My modified (engine only) LT1 held against a Maserati and a Porsche Carerra just fine at Pocono, I had them both for many laps (corners and straights). The Porsche guy was a jerk and would not give me a passing sign even when I stayed on his bumper for 2 laps.

I think you will need an awful lot of mods to the '85 to have the same straight line 1/4 time as the Viper. I have an '02 Z now, and I would think I still might lose.

Last edited by sothpaw2; 06-11-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:57 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's an early Viper that plays with the Vettes at Vintage Thunder at Cecil County MD.

The best I've seen from him is 12.8 when my car is running 12.6/12.7 times (mid day hot track temps).. Ive got him covered with a Hot Cam and ported heads on a stock LT1 engine. I wasn't impressed.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:15 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I guess then my next question is how much power is it gonna take to keep up with a well driven one in a 3100 lb '85 Corvette, and am I wasting my time on these plans for a high flowing TPI.
I dont think you will be able to get more then 400 out of a tpi without a power adder.

I think you would need something like that 440hp combo LPE had. 219 cam, 383, super ram, nice heads, and long tube headers. and that is just to even up the gap. although JD got his to run a 11.7

I remember the butt kickin an rt/10 gave to me once.

Quick Reply: How does the 1st gen Viper compare with the LT1 Corvette?