C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lift NOT lower a C4

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lift NOT lower a C4

I have plenty of articles on people lowering their C4 Corvettes. I have a 1991 Corvette that I would like to lift up an inch & a half (due to deep dips in driveways & roads near here). Any suggestions about the best way to do this before I just jump into it, & discover later that there was something that I missed.
Thanks!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Black94Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add some leafs in the back and put some 33's on that b**ch!!

Seriously though, I dont know of any way to raise it other than to buy tires with more sidewall. I wouldnt put too much, though. You dont want the tires to hit the fender wall when you hit a bump. A question though, why dont you just try taking the dips and everything at hard angles? There are plenty of dips around here and I just make everyone wait for me to take them slowly and if they say anything, I just reply "I have a Corvette, so SHUT UP!!" Good Luck!!

Matt
Old 05-13-2007, 12:58 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ride Height

What part of the car is dragging?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Coconut
Racer

Default Why

I have a Stalker front end, which sticks out farther. I cannot hit the driveway at a good enough angle to clear the gate. It's almost a straight shot. The rear is simple to lift. I'm think about adding some aluminum spacers to the front spring retainer mounts & fabbing up some longer retaining brackets to start off with. I know that the earlier C4s used a 1/4" aluminum spacer there. I just thought I'd post a quick thread to see if anyone else had done a small C4 lift. There always seems to be one little thing that you don't calculate for (such as needing longer bolts as an example).

Last edited by Coconut; 05-13-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:05 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I would strongly advise against this..

if it were my car these would be my options:
1: remove stalker front end and install back to stock
2: move
3. sell corvette and butcher a camaro, impala SS or something else
Old 05-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Coconut
Racer

Default No Thanks

No thanks. This car is nowhere near stock, & I don't want it to be. The motor now uses a carb, so the hood has a molded C6 Z06 Viper-style hood scoop for the needed clearance. Flip-up headlights are gone. Front running lights are brighter than stock headlights. A steel bumper has been welded on, & the Stalker front bumper covers it up. It also allows more air to come in where the radiator shroud has been modified. The mods have to stay. The front end is going up at least an inch. Thanks for the input, though. If it must be lifted with rims & tires, then some 18s with a taller overall tire hight will be used, but I don't plan on it, since I love the Sawblade 17x11 Zr1 rims I have in the rear!

Last edited by Coconut; 05-13-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:14 PM
N.C. Kid
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black94Coupe
Add some leafs in the back and put some 33's on that b**ch!!

There are plenty of dips around here and I just make everyone wait for me to take them slowly and if they say anything, I just reply "I have a Corvette, so SHUT UP!!" Good Luck!!

Matt
Its your car that is being destoryed not theres. I know all the rednecks here jack up there trucks where a ladder is needed to get in there and some loud exaust acting like total terds but your bringing the vette to a new "low". Eww. I agree on taking the front stalker off**I was considering getting one of those bumpers from midamerica in the future but this thread just changed my mind** and going back to stock.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:15 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I wonder if your car already has a lowering kit... it might be worth checking that.

also, new springs will bring it up.

the best bet would be coil over shocks, that you can control the ride height.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:17 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Ride Height

Do you have room for a slightly taller tire? The reason i am asking is because if you raise the body you will increase the space in your fenders and hood. I am not sure it is going to look very good. If you can clear a slightly taller tire you will fill the fenders more and it should look better. I am not sure this will entirely solve your situation but I am trying to offer an alternative.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Coconut
Racer

Default To Nitrous Sam

Nitrous Sam, Great motor in the pic. I wish all cars came stock that way. I hate stock. Give me a big motor with a narrowed rear end anyday. Drag Race On!
Old 05-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Black94Coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383_BluByU
I would strongly advise against this..

if it were my car these would be my options:
1: remove stalker front end and install back to stock
2: move
3. sell corvette and butcher a camaro, impala SS or something else
... The only one of those that seems feasible is the first. Remove the stalker kit. But, since you said you like it, then keep it. It is your car and you can customize it however you like!! The second and third seem to me like someone is in a bad mood. 383, you said it like it is just that simple to move because his front bumper cant clear the driveway without scraping. And just because he put a stalker kit on it, doesnt mean he doesnt like it. In YOUR opinion, it might be butchering. But, the Stalker kit for the C4 wouldnt still be around if nobody bought them. They wouldve gone out of business.

Coconut, My question to you would be this; Your driveway, it has a gutterpan in between the pavement and the driveway correct? If so, you SHOULD be able to get a 2 inch metal pipe about as wide as the driveway, and make a concrete ramp leading up to the driveway with the pipe in the middle for water drainage. I cant help with the other ditches or dips or whatever. Good Luck!!

Matt
Old 05-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Coconut
Racer

Default Area

Originally Posted by N.C. Kid
Its your car that is being destoryed not theres. I know all the rednecks here jack up there trucks where a ladder is needed to get in there and some loud exaust acting like total terds but your bringing the vette to a new "low". Eww. I agree on taking the front stalker off**I was considering getting one of those bumpers from midamerica in the future but this thread just changed my mind** and going back to stock.
I have no problems with the front end. I love it, but I'd like to clear a nearly 3 foot dip. Even my stock front end hit it. I just need a small amount of clearance. My stock front bumper was in fair condition when I had the opportunity to get the Stalker front end at a great price, & just couldn't pass it up. I love it. 1" or 1 & 1/2" is not jacking a Corvette way up. The rear already sat up a little higher than the front from the factory when I got it. This should just help level it off a bit. I won't even have to lift the rear if the front only goes up 1". The rear will go up 1/2" if the front goes up 1 & 1/2". This is not a mud rider!

Last edited by Coconut; 05-13-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:21 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

I think a taller tire/wheel combination would still look ok and raise the car. Like maybe a 275/40R18. That would give you 1/2" lift, but of course would be expensive.

I haven't seen many taller 17" tires, but I think Nitto makes a 275/50R17 tire in one of their product lines, but its probably geared more towards lowered SUVs than raised corvettes.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Black94Coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NitrousSam
Do you have room for a slightly taller tire? The reason i am asking is because if you raise the body you will increase the space in your fenders and hood. I am not sure it is going to look very good. If you can clear a slightly taller tire you will fill the fenders more and it should look better. I am not sure this will entirely solve your situation but I am trying to offer an alternative.
This is kinda like what I was trying to say. If you did have room for a slightly taller tire and didnt want to sacrifice looks with an ungodly wide sidewall, you could always buy bigger rims and taller tires!!

Matt
Old 05-13-2007, 01:24 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Big Chief Nitrous Engine

Originally Posted by Coconut
Nitrous Sam, Great motor in the pic. I wish all cars came stock that way. I hate stock. Give me a big motor with a narrowed rear end anyday. Drag Race On!
Thanks! That engine is a 4.625 big bore 572 cubic inch big chief engine that is in one of my street cars. The car is a full tube car with a Lenco. I have a feeling if you like narrowed cars you would like this one.

Last edited by NitrousSam; 05-13-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Photo Added
Old 05-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Coconut
Racer

Default Not Mine

One more thing. This is not my driveway I use often. If I could just park on a curb somewhere I would. I'm used to driving low vehicles. I love them. The front bumper is the only Stalker piece I own. I don't care too much for the rest of the package. Even if I put the original bumper cover back on (which no longer fits due to the welded inside steel bumper), the car still needs to be lifted 1" in the front to level it off, so that it also won't hit.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Coconut
Racer

Default Nitrous Sam

I know I'd love it. That welded aluminum intake looks sweet! I have a 427 Tall Deck that has been punched out to 540 cubes. It is in a full tube chassis 1982 Corvette Collectors Edition that has been narrowed.

Get notified of new replies

To Lift NOT lower a C4

Old 05-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Coconut
Racer

Default Leaning

Maybe I should have said that the front touches, & not "hits." I figured 1/2" will clear, but the extra 1/2" would be good insurance. That's all. Boy, am I glad I posted this thread. I've never received so many negatives. I get the picture guys! I'm leaning towards a taller tire set, & rims if neccessary. I can buy some 335/35/17 tires in the rear, & put my 315/35/17 on the front (They do fit), or something that will match the overall diameter of the 335/35/17 tires. I'm up for all suggestions, but the front end can't be changed at this point. Remember, the stock front also touches. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:25 PM
N.C. Kid
Burning Brakes

So your saying the Stalker bumper does not cause any more troubles than the stock end?
Old 05-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

my point was raising the car will hurt its performance and handling characteristics.. I know options 2 and 3 were absurd - I was trying to make a point.. maybe too harsh..

In all seriousness make sure the car hasn;t been lowered already.. stock ride height should work just about anyplace in the USA.. I traverse some tall speeds bumps daily.

Quick Reply: Lift NOT lower a C4