C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Got a shaking in the front end that you can feel through holding the steering wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001, 10:34 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Got a shaking in the front end that you can feel through holding the steering wheel...

First off this is for my front wheel drive SUNBIRD 3.1 but figured you guys might be able to help anyways...

My problem gets worse up to about 45 or so then stays about the same....I can feel a shaking in the front end.....and the steeing wheel pulsates left to right about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch back and forth.....also I can hear a slight hum....which changes tone by turning the wheel sharply.....

Need some ideas....what to look for....I have already rotated the front tires to rear and put on new wheel bearings problem is still there....

car has 130,000 on her....

thanks for the help....putting it on jacks right now to try running it in the air.....see if problem is still present......

[Modified by XtremeVette, 8:35 AM 10/20/2001]
Old 10-20-2001, 01:08 PM
BobMachus
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Got a shaking in the front end... (XtremeVette)

Sounds like a good wheel balance might be in order to me. Clean the inside of the wheels real well if there any buildup of grime and go get 'em balanced. My car drove fine, then I had the wheels off to do the shocks and noticed all kinds of nasty buildup, I scraped most of it off and then started noticing a steering wheel vibe at about 80 mph. Got 'em balanced, smooth as silk. Just a thought.

Bob

[Modified by BobMachus, 10:08 AM 10/20/2001]
Old 10-21-2001, 01:31 PM
Stratocaster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Got a shaking in the front end... (BobMachus)

Check for excessive rotor runout... I chased a prob on my car for many moons as I didnt suspect the rotor cause it was turned recently. but they did a cocked job. you would think a rotor only would cause vibes under braking, but the runout if excessive enough taps one of the shoes with each revolution causing the vibration.
Old 10-21-2001, 06:20 PM
MCPOWHITE96
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Got a shaking in the front end... (Stratocaster)

can anyone say CV joint? last front drive I had was a smoked CV when this happened.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:19 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Re: Got a shaking in the front end... (MCPOWHITE96)

Update!!!....

I think your right....MCPOWHITE96

I did replace the rotors cause that was not helping.....the rotor was not only warped...but was out of round...it turned really funky.....and was like wobbling.....then I find out that my wheel bearing was missing the nuckle seal.....oops my bad....hey forgot to put it in.....but i put it in and figured for sure that is what was causing my probs......but ahhhhhhhhhh..could it really be that easy...nope!!!...

so......MCPOWHITE96 I think your right.....gotta be the damn CV joint....not much left in the front end for it to be......

so thats my next problem....anybody ever replace one of these?....Advance Auto Parts sells the whole axle with cv joint piece for $60.....

need some pointers....

Get notified of new replies

To Got a shaking in the front end that you can feel through holding the steering wheel...

Quick Reply: Got a shaking in the front end that you can feel through holding the steering wheel...