C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone heard of T and L Engine Development Inc.?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:37 PM
jsavoy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone heard of T and L Engine Development Inc.?

Has anyone heard of or used an engine from T and L Engine Development Inc. I was reading an article today and it mentioned a build by this company. I sent an e-mail to gather more info but wanted to see if any of you have any experience w/ them. Your thoughts are appreciated, the link is below...

T and L Engine Development
Old 04-17-2007, 07:35 PM
chad89
Advanced

I am glad you brought this up. I to have been curious if anyone knows anything about them. specificaly the 408 ci, 510 HP 500 Torque - $4784 crate they advertise.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:23 PM
jsavoy
Racer

I received a response ...

From: T and L Engine Development [mailto:info@tandlengines.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:28 PM
To: Savoy J
Subject: Re: Short Block / Stroker Kit (http://www.tandlengines.com/)

John,

Unfortunately we do not offer any kits or short blocks for the LT-1. If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Thanks.

T and L Engine Development
12303-A Renee Ford Rd
Stanfield, NC 28163
Phone (704) 888-8111
Fax (704) 888-8114
www.tandlengines.com
Old 01-16-2008, 06:15 PM
chad89
Advanced

I was going through some archives today and ran across this again. I thought I would give it a bump and see if anyone around now has any experience with T&L Engine Development. I now see they are offering a 408 (350 block) AFR headed with 575hp/525tq for 6k.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:17 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

Ebay advertisers as far as I know. I'm real skeptical. Who really knows who these people are, their skill level, ect?? Everybodys a "former NASCAR engine builder" on Ebay. Problem is you never really know until its too late and you've got a $5000.00 POS.

For the money they are charging you could buy an engine from a real engine builder.

What part of Ga are you in. I know some real engine builders there. Try calling Russell Johnson, Billy George, Butch Shirley, Gary Dingler, Robby Chastain. All of them are alot closer to home and more than capable engine builders.
Will
Old 01-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Road Agent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chad89
I am glad you brought this up. I to have been curious if anyone knows anything about them. specificaly the 408 ci, 510 HP 500 Torque - $4784 crate they advertise.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Lloyd McCleary is a real engine builder. I have lost track of what he has been up to over the past several years but years ago before the Nextel Cup Series was as big as it is now and teams were much smaller Lloyd was a part of our sport for a long time and an engine builder for one of the better teams. Apparently he decided to do his own deal years ago but I assure you he knows what he is doing. I don't know why the eBay deal but I can say there is no market for a private firm to sell or lease engines to a big team anymore as the big players in our sport all have huge self contained self supporting major engine manufacturing operations now with full in house engineering.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:23 PM
chad89
Advanced

Thanks for the info Greg.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:36 AM
85L98-84L83
Racer

T&L:o
Old 01-17-2008, 05:55 PM
chad89
Advanced

obviously, you get what you pay for, and if something is too good to be true... The point was to see if anyone had any experience/dealings with this company.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:36 PM
hexane
Melting Slicks

I really was interested in their 408 stroker for awhile but when they threw me an attitude and declined to give me extra info, i.e. rods used, cam specs, methods of block clearancing, whether or not it is a regular base cam or a small base circle cam, etc.... that issue was really enough to keep me away. I would be really pissed if they sold me a rebuilt 350 or budget 383 passed off as a "408 cubic inch stroker." I know the cubic inches are tempting, but I'd rather build a stroker myself instead of taking a risk of getting bent over online.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hooblyboobly
I really was interested in their 408 stroker for awhile but when they threw me an attitude and declined to give me extra info, i.e. rods used, cam specs, methods of block clearancing, whether or not it is a regular base cam or a small base circle cam, etc.... that issue was really enough to keep me away. I would be really pissed if they sold me a rebuilt 350 or budget 383 passed off as a "408 cubic inch stroker." I know the cubic inches are tempting, but I'd rather build a stroker myself instead of taking a risk of getting bent over online.

I'd just call and ask to speak to Lloyd. I can't imagine why the owner would beat around the bush. Mikey, the guy who takes out the trash is probably who you spoke to.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:47 PM
chad89
Advanced

Hoobly, I found this article, albeit on their website, that talks a little about the rotating assembly etc.
That is a little disturbing that they gave you attitude and would not provide you with information that would help you make an informed decision. Pretty hard to just expect someone to buy on faith. Hmmm.

http://www.tandlengines.com/article_...%20Article.pdf

spelling edit.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 AM
bkhamann
1st Gear

Default T and L Engine Development

T and L Engine Development. I bought a motor from them off ebay turnkey 383 for around 6800.00...they said turn around was within 2 months....4 months late still no motor.....finally received motor and it was missing about 150.00 worth of parts.....I advise everyone to stay away unless you want to be had for your money and time....If you want more details you can contact me at bkhamann@yahoo.com ....I can also provide you with the emails of other individuals who contacted me who were having similiar problems....not returning phone calls, emails etc....just bad business all around.. Brent Hamann, MD
Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 PM
FOUNTAIN 1
1st Gear

Default T And L Engines

I Bought A Real Motor From T And L , 598 Bbc . And It Took A Little While Indeed , But I Can Say One Thing , Suckr Rocks < This Motor Is In My Fountain Powerboat , And Anyone That Knows Anything About Motors Knows That The Marine Environment Is Brutal , Constant Load , Ect, Ect, Loyds Engine Plain And Simple Runs At 6k For A Mile Or Two , Then Ides Down Like A Kitten , And Pushes Through No Wake Zones And Dosnt Miss A Lick , Pound On It Again And Again . 60 Hassle Free Hours So Far , Ill Buy Again The Savings Were Huge , Will Pay For First Rebuild At Least . All His Probs Are He Cant Build Them Fast Enough . If You Want Your Engin In A Month Or So Id Go Elswhere . If You Want And Engine That Rocks, And Will Have Top Of The Line Machine Work It Will Take Time . And A Great Motor Is Built Around The Machine Work , Just For The Record My 598 Came In At 720 Hs 770 Tq , Thats What Im Talking About !!! Best Luck A Very Pleased Tand L Customer . Rob Freeman Wisconson
Old 01-03-2009, 03:02 PM
tapsline
1st Gear

Default BEWARE ! of T and L Engines

I recently had dealings with T and L engine development and I want to tell everyone out there BEWARE!! I ran across one of their ads on eBay for a Chevrolet 408 stroker engine and after talking to them over the phone I decided to buy it. (Big Mistake) This was back in April 08 keep in mind. So I paid them the $3700.00 down payment they required in good faith that I was dealing with a reputable business. They turned out to be the most unprofessional shop I've ever done business with. I was told to expect a wait of 8 to 10 weeks for delivery. I patiently waited for the first 4 or 5 months with the idea in my head that ,o well it'll be worth the wait. I started thinking something was wrong around the 6th month when I started trying to call them and the secretary kept giving me excuse after excuse on why I was unable to talk to Lloyd the owner. So after leaving my phone number a half a dozen times I got a little angry so she let me start talking to some guy named Rob who gave me more B>S runaround lines than you would ever believe. He told me they were almost done with my engine probably 6 times. He said it had already been mocked up and was in assembly (FOR 2 months!). He told me B>S like It sure is a pretty bright red color! Finally after 8 months I just asked them to please refund my money and Id just make them a bad memory. Rob instructed me that they don’t normally give refunds. So now 9 months later, I still have no engine, my project is still on hold while I have the pleasure of disputing my payment to T and L through my credit card company. If you are thinking of having these guys build you an engine, I’d strongly discourage it.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Using a Local engine builder is sounding better all the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone heard of T and L Engine Development Inc.?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:03 PM
rp45435
2nd Gear

Beware of T and L engines!! After a year of waiting for my engine and umpteen broken promises, have had to hire a lawyer.
lots of feedback on Fordmuscle web site
[URL="http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/stroker-engines/458358-t-l-engines-n-c-10.html"]

Old 02-28-2009, 01:13 AM
hexane
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Greg Gore
I'd just call and ask to speak to Lloyd. I can't imagine why the owner would beat around the bush. Mikey, the guy who takes out the trash is probably who you spoke to.
And I was right, T&L SUCKS! I've scooped up a lot of dirt on them from other forums. I'm building an LSX motor myself for me to put in MY car.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:50 PM
LastC3AZ
Racer

Originally Posted by rp45435
Beware of T and L engines!! After a year of waiting for my engine and umpteen broken promises, have had to hire a lawyer.
lots of feedback on Fordmuscle web site
[URL="http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/stroker-engines/458358-t-l-engines-n-c-10.html"]

can you tell us how this has turned out .... still waiting for heads purchased in FEB !!! Getting ready to do the same .....

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of T and L Engine Development Inc.?