C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

4+3 trans swaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:04 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ixlor8
Thanks Joe. I will be looking for a T-5. I would like to keep the cost down. I am going to keep the stock engine, so horse power is not an issue.

Do you have to do any changes for the speedometer?

About how many hours does it take to take out the Doug Nash 4+3 and replace with T-5?

Thank you very much for your help,
Speedo is a very good point. You will of course need to change the plastic drive and driven speedo gears in the transmission, for a total cost of about $18.00. (you won't find an fbody with a 2.59 rear end). Depending on the year of your vette, and year of the T5 you need to make sure you get the right VSS. If yours is cable, an 82-86 firebird/camaro VSS. If its 2 wire magnetic, an 87-89 firebird VSS. If its optical, 90-92 camaro/firebird.

As far as 'hours'. Not sure. I have a lift, tranny jack, stands, etc. You need to:

Disconnect battery
Remove the distributor
Lift vehicle
Put a stand under the oil pan to keep the engine from diving
Unbolt the driveshaft
Drain transmission/od fluids
Unbolt exhaust
Disconnect any wires, cables, linkage
Unbolt the cbeam
Unbolt the transmission

Probably about 3 hours with a lift + air tools. I had an automatic,
which came out in about 2 1/2 hours. But I'm doing cam too, so I also yanked the motor.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:05 AM
ixlor8
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a T-5

Joe, I must say you have been a great help.

I am in the process of looking for a T-5.

Which transmission years should I be looking at?

'83-'92 V-8-powered Camaro and Firebird
1982-1992 Chevrolet Camaro (World-Class T-5 with RPO code MK6)
1993-2002 Chevrolet Camaro (V6 models) ?? Torque ratings lighter?

Rick
Old 10-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Nitrofish86
Cruising

Any updates on this swap? I'm ready to do this right now if it works. Thanks-Charlie
Old 10-14-2007, 05:57 PM
ixlor8
Pro

Default Part Number Chart - 1984 to 1995 Corvette

Joe,

Is this information you wanted? Clutch / flywheel and more.

http://home.san.rr.com/khastings/ima...hpartslist.gif

Rick
Old 10-14-2007, 08:47 PM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I really wanna do this swap now too. I've got a 4+3 and it's only a matter of time till it's done now that the 383 is up and runnin'. Since I've already got a 4+3, I can leave my bellhousing and clutch on the car and the trans will bolt right in, right? If I can weld the shifter properly it will come out in the stock location? And with the C_beam adapter from ProStreet Customs it will fit the C_beam with a few modifications. Does the driveshaft need to be shortened? This might finally be an economical alternative to the 4+3...
Old 10-14-2007, 09:08 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Joe, I must say you have been a great help.

I am in the process of looking for a T-5.

Which transmission years should I be looking at?

'83-'92 V-8-powered Camaro and Firebird
1982-1992 Chevrolet Camaro (World-Class T-5 with RPO code MK6)
1993-2002 Chevrolet Camaro (V6 models) ?? Torque ratings lighter?

Rick
93-02 won't work. You need a 82-92 camaro/firebird out of a V8. The world class T5's are better. Dont buy the first one you say, hold off for the right price. Junkyards want $300+.. Most local guys parting out cars get around $200.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:10 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nitrofish86
Any updates on this swap? I'm ready to do this right now if it works. Thanks-Charlie
I'm just waiting on the prototype cbeam adapter. Assuming I get it this week, i'll bolt it up and let pro street know if any changes need to be made. If not, I imagine they will be available almost immediately.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:12 PM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JLeatherman
Man, I really wanna do this swap now too. I've got a 4+3 and it's only a matter of time till it's done now that the 383 is up and runnin'. Since I've already got a 4+3, I can leave my bellhousing and clutch on the car and the trans will bolt right in, right? If I can weld the shifter properly it will come out in the stock location? And with the C_beam adapter from ProStreet Customs it will fit the C_beam with a few modifications. Does the driveshaft need to be shortened? This might finally be an economical alternative to the 4+3...

The shifter needs to be cut and welded so it comes up in the right spot.

The drive shaft should not need to be altered. Same yoke, and same length.

I'm not 100% sure on cbeam mods yet. With the T56 swap, you need to drill two new holes because the back of the tranny is weird, but on the T5 you should be able to make the bracket work with the stock cbeam holes. But thats pro streets part.

-- Joe
Old 10-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Nitrofish86
Cruising

That sounds awesome, keep us all posted on how that adapter works out. I'm gathering parts as we speak
Old 10-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Holy smokes guys - reading all of this makes my head spin - seems like alot of work to save a few hundred bucks! In my 86, I just went with the Keisler TKO500 - made the swap in a day and a half - drives and shifts great after 2 years of abuse on road tracks - no issues to report!

Great gear ratios - of course I have it linked to a ZZ4 - so that may make some difference!

I'd much rather drive my car than work on it. For me, the extra money was worth the saved time and potential headaches! I could devote all that extra time to other projects I am working on! So instead of fooling with the Transmission in the car - I was building my Bonneville racer and going racing every couple of weeks with the 86. (the one with the TKO500)

Everyone is different - we all have different priorities, and skills I guess thats what makes it so much fun!

Carl "satisfied Tremek customer" Johansson

Carl Johansson
Old 10-15-2007, 06:02 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Carl,
I see where you're comin from, but it isn't a few hundred bucks. The cost of this T5 swap is about $3000 cheaper than the TKO kit. In a car like my 84 that's worth maybe $6-$7k, spending $3700 on a trans isn't what I want to do. $700 for a new trans is much more to my budget right now...
Old 10-15-2007, 06:50 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Carl Johansson
Holy smokes guys - reading all of this makes my head spin - seems like alot of work to save a few hundred bucks!
You obviously haven't read all of it. We're talking about a swap that will COMPETE with keisler but will only cost a few hundred bucks instead of $3k.

The 'headaches' will be exactly the same, since it's the same thing. Same basic transmission design (externally), same type of cbeam adapter. Same tunnel mods. The only 'diy' part will probably be the shifter, and even then
maybe we can work something out with pro street to mod stock fbody shifters on a trade-in basis.?.

The TKO is a nice transmission, like the ZF, like the T56, and so on. It's a matter of what you need. Considering the values of C4's have dropped like a rock, now that you can get into a C5 for under 20k, it doesn't make much sense putting a very expensive transmission in a C4.
If and when you decide to sell or trade the car in, nobody is going to give a rats behind that you spent 3k+ on a TKO..

-- Joe
Old 10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anesthes
Speedo is a very good point. You will of course need to change the plastic drive and driven speedo gears in the transmission, for a total cost of about $18.00. (you won't find an fbody with a 2.59 rear end). Depending on the year of your vette, and year of the T5 you need to make sure you get the right VSS. If yours is cable, an 82-86 firebird/camaro VSS. If its 2 wire magnetic, an 87-89 firebird VSS. If its optical, 90-92 camaro/firebird.
Mine's an 84 with the 4+3 currently. Which VSS is it, the 2 wire magnetic or the optical? How can I tell? Also, mine's got the 3.07 rear right now. Anyone know what rears most Camaros came with?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:44 AM
ixlor8
Pro

Default Electrical Connections on Doug Nash 4+3

I have a 1984 Corvette shop Manual.

I see six electrical connectors, and Throttel valve cable on the Doug Nash 4+3:

1) 1st Gear Switch connector

2) 2nd gear switch connector.

3) 4th gear switch connector

4) Overdrive Solenoid Connector

5) E.S.S connector. Electron Speed Sensor

6) Backup light switch.

How do we handle the 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear and overdrive solenoid connectors on the T-5? Will we get an error code if they are disconnected?

E.S.S connector plugs into the overdrive unit of the Doug Nash. How do we connect this to the T-5 I do not see a speedometer cable it must be electronic.

Throtte valve cable - This cable is on the overdrive unit. This must act the same way like an automatic transmission. I do not think it is used on the T-5 because it does not have an overdrive.

Sorry for all the questions.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:47 AM
ixlor8
Pro

Default Richmond 6-Speed Corvette Installation Overview

I found this website last week. It tells the story about replacing the Doug Nash 4+3 with the Richmond 6-speed. Very interesting.

http://www.areddy.net/vettetrans/

Rick
Old 10-15-2007, 08:57 AM
ixlor8
Pro

Default Tach - function with the T5

I am guessing that the tach gets it signal from the Electronic Speed Sensor.

Where do you find the adapter for the plug in from the factory harness to the T-5 transmission?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:08 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JLeatherman
Mine's an 84 with the 4+3 currently. Which VSS is it, the 2 wire magnetic or the optical? How can I tell? Also, mine's got the 3.07 rear right now. Anyone know what rears most Camaros came with?
It's magnetic. Camaros came with all sorts of rears. You'll need to probably buy the two plastic gears. You'll need a magnetic VSS for a T5.
Should be fairly easy to come by.

i'll post pix when I get a chance.

Get notified of new replies

To 4+3 trans swaps

Old 10-15-2007, 09:13 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a 1984 Corvette shop Manual.

I see six electrical connectors, and Throttel valve cable on the Doug Nash 4+3:

1) 1st Gear Switch connector

2) 2nd gear switch connector.

3) 4th gear switch connector

4) Overdrive Solenoid Connector

5) E.S.S connector. Electron Speed Sensor

6) Backup light switch.

How do we handle the 1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear and overdrive solenoid connectors on the T-5? Will we get an error code if they are disconnected?

E.S.S connector plugs into the overdrive unit of the Doug Nash. How do we connect this to the T-5 I do not see a speedometer cable it must be electronic.

Throtte valve cable - This cable is on the overdrive unit. This must act the same way like an automatic transmission. I do not think it is used on the T-5 because it does not have an overdrive.

Sorry for all the questions.
ESS/VSS + backup switch will go to the transmission. The plugs are very standard with GM. (two wire post type).

No throttle valve cable needs connection.

As far as the solenoid connectors, you won't connect them. I'm not sure if you will get a code. I'm going to have to defer to someone whos had some experience with that end. On my '87 i'm running a computer from a '91 fbody (1227730) because I like MAP better than MAF for tuning.

-- Joe

Last edited by anesthes; 10-15-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:16 AM
ixlor8
Pro

Default Tach - function with the T5

I have been told that it comes from the distributor.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:24 AM
JLeatherman
Burning Brakes

Tach comes from the distributor

You will not get an error from leaving any of the gear switches out. My first gear switch has been bad on my 4+3 for a while and I bypassed it and it's been fine. You can probably remove all the gear switches.

O.D. Solenoid connector will be useless and can be removed.

ESS/VSS and Backup light will work fine. If they need adapting cut the plugs off the junkyard donor for the trans and solder them in.

TV cable can disappear cause it will now be useless

Last edited by JLeatherman; 10-15-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: 4+3 trans swaps