C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wire Connection under Console

Old 07-13-2007, 04:05 PM
JimW3470
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire Connection under Console

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this questions but, currently on my 96 LT1 I have my sat. radio plugged into the cigarette lighter, so it is always on unless I pull it out (no pun there),anyway, my owners manual talks about a wire under the console that can be reached by taking off the cover and pulling it into the consel, and it can be used for items like the sat. receiver. Has anyone tried this and can it be hooked up to a receptical like the cigarette lighter and is that available. I believe it said that it is only hot when the car is on, unlike the cigarette lighter which is always hot. Is this farily easy if you are a little stupid about some of this stuff. Thoughts??
Old 07-13-2007, 04:24 PM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The plug is under the rear pat of the console. Remove the console door and about 3 screws holding the top of the console. Lift the console and you will find the plug. It is different than the cig. recepticle but you can wire the sat. radio with the plug in the car. Not too hard at all.
Bernie
Old 07-13-2007, 04:49 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Bernie said. But there are 3 wires on my 92, black is ground and orange is always hot. The other is ignition switched power, I don't remember its color.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:55 PM
JimW3470
Instructor

Originally Posted by scranage
Like Bernie said. But there are 3 wires on my 92, black is ground and orange is always hot. The other is ignition switched power, I don't remember its color.

Sounds like I don't want to use the orange one, just the black one and then the other one, the receiver has a plug in attached to fit into a cigarette lighter so I guess I can cut that off and then just hard wire it to the black and other wire?
Old 07-13-2007, 05:26 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 92, the cig lighter is on a seperate 15A circut that is always hot IIRC. I think the orange wire is on that same circuit. My car had a plug with a pigtail under the console. Hopefully yours is still there too and you won't have to tap anything, just splice to the free wires.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:01 PM
JimW3470
Instructor

Originally Posted by scranage
On my 92, the cig lighter is on a seperate 15A circut that is always hot IIRC. I think the orange wire is on that same circuit. My car had a plug with a pigtail under the console. Hopefully yours is still there too and you won't have to tap anything, just splice to the free wires.

Done/works!!!! 15 minute job thanks for the good advice.

Get notified of new replies

To Wire Connection under Console

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wire Connection under Console