C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Woooohoooo part are out for delivery!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:52 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Woooohoooo part are out for delivery!

Watch the UPS tracking number 347574010 which are the final pieces to the puzzle and long awaited solid rear that will be going into my car in the very near future.

Its a MOSER 12bolt with all the goodies and should be able to take ANYTHING I throw at it.

I have been out in the garage and looking at the cleanest and most efficient way to install the 4 link setup. I have a pretty slick way which will basically morph the S&W laser 4 link brackets right into the already existing frame! This should give me ultimate strength and more clearance for the rear tires on the inside. Gaining about 3 inches...all without having to cut the car apart in the rear. It will require cutting some of the frame away and putting the brackets "inside" or into the frame...but when its done and all painted to anyone not real familiar with the vette in that area, it should look like it came from the factory with this setup. And it should be SUPER SUPER strong which its going to need is I decide to add Mr Frosty to the motor and launch with it!

My coil-over set came in the other day and looks SWEET...they should work out real well and can't wait to see the finished product.

I am thinking about after all the work is done to the rear in the way of welding and stuff, having it powder coated "aluminum" color to resemble the D44 look....

The MOSER all loaded looks to weight around 225lbs which is definately going to add some weight to the car, but its all in the right area - on the rear wheels.

I will be sure to document the progress for other to see.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Jerris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and good luck.
Keep us posted
Old 02-22-2007, 11:46 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man as always ur posts are very descriptive and clear. congrats for new stuff that sure help others who making power in that vicinity, thanks for sharing.

I finally broke the 12 sec barrier and ran 12.321 last sat, thanks for mail order tune got from u. jesse r u coming to richmond, VA?.

sami
Old 02-22-2007, 04:55 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you really think your adding weight to the car ? I’m sure my car lost some going over to a 12 bolt , but again mine is a lot narrower than yours . how much does the a complete Dana 44 weights
Old 02-23-2007, 12:33 AM
85vet
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Jessie,
you are one sick dude, your going over to the dark side. I hope all your work pays off. Oh, so when are you putting the cage in?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Ttime
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please provide pics. I can't wait to see it
Old 02-23-2007, 06:57 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by red L98
Do you really think your adding weight to the car ? I’m sure my car lost some going over to a 12 bolt , but again mine is a lot narrower than yours . how much does the a complete Dana 44 weights
Not real sure about the weight difference. The D44 was I think lighter by quite a bit actually. The D44 I could carry around by myself pretty easily (the center section anyways), and the knuckles and stuff I can carry by themselves, one in each hand with 1/2 shafts attached. But this thing without the axles to-boot I wouldn't even try to do by myself.

One thing is for sure...when I launch the car I don't have to cring with fear of hearing something snap everytime. I can stage now and concontrate on cutting a good light and going some rounds, rather than spending the next few hours trying to move trailers around and winching a car up onto it.

85vet, after you see the beast launch a few times, you will be bringing your car up next winter to have it done to yours too! Moser is running specials on their 12bolts and I got mine for about 1800 delivered! And that was with a bunch of things like multiple stud holes in axle ends, so I have the option to upgrading if I get too quick and get busted for not having 1/2" studs - the provisions are there. All I need to do is screw in the new ones and unscrew the stock size...and they upgraded the stock size ones to high end units for me.

Also got the new big ford style axle ends, and they slipped on the 4 link brackets for me before welding the axle ends on for me...now all I have to do is weld them on in the right location.

Insanity has corkys old mill, which corky got a best 60 of low 1.4s with...Insanity got a 1.33 already and Ralph and him said they are still dialing it in, and the car doesn't even have the right converter or trans in it for optimizing the 60' times. I suspect mine will be looking like MR Hookedups after some dialing in of the 4link and be in 1.2 range or VERY low 1.3s - but most of all have some good reliability.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds cool As for the weight the center section (with batwing) of my Dana 36 weighs 74 pounds.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:00 AM
0ski_dwn_it
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Steve87VETTE
Sounds cool As for the weight the center section (with batwing) of my Dana 36 weighs 74 pounds.

Yeah that sounds about right. I can throw that around fairly easily, but again this morning I went out and tried to lift the 12 bolt...its pretty heavy. guessing its right around 225 with axles. So if the knuckles are on there and the 1/2 shafts I bet the 12 bolt is still a good 50-75lbs heavier....unless of course you have had it shortended way down like redl98.

But like I said, its better 75-100lbs than 75-200 dollars every time you launch. PLUS I KNOW the rear will be more efficient - thus quicker overall ETs.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Fubar569
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ski_dwn_it
Not real sure about the weight difference. The D44 was I think lighter by quite a bit actually. The D44 I could carry around by myself pretty easily (the center section anyways), and the knuckles and stuff I can carry by themselves, one in each hand with 1/2 shafts attached. But this thing without the axles to-boot I wouldn't even try to do by myself.
im only an hour away with a ton of time on my hands. i'd love to see and/or help with this if you need it. At a minimum im a decent digital photographer so even that experience alone would earn you a few free drinks as a small sign of gratitude...and im sure the forum would love to see pics of every step of the way

if you need a hand at all, just give me a buzz on here...
Old 02-23-2007, 06:21 PM
rlane5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ski what is the length of the 12 bolt rear you're installing?
Mine is 62" for rotor to rotor and the factory wheels and Weld wheels I had laying around fit perfect.
Randy
Old 02-23-2007, 06:21 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats on joining the solid axle club
Old 02-23-2007, 09:48 PM
red L98
Melting Slicks

i was able to pic up my rearend on my own from bed of a truck to the floor of the shop, the rear was with no axle. i know for sure its less if you add all the irs stuff. good luck bud i cant wait to try my new motor on the big shot
Old 02-24-2007, 07:47 AM
rlane5
Pro

Jesse this is the bracket I used on my rear

these 4-link brackets works very well so you do have to cut the car up
Randy
Old 02-24-2007, 08:08 AM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rlane
Are you saying there was no cutting required to put the 9" Ford under your vette? Where did you place the diagonal linK? Were the shocks able to hit the factory location? And, how much additional tire room did you gain? Man, the reliability issue would be great (dreaming of no more checking of half shafts and spindle shafts).

Imagine what going from a 1.75sec 60' time in a mid to high 9 car to a 1.3 sec 60' time. Scary!!!

Aaron
Old 02-24-2007, 08:09 AM
rlane5
Pro

I tried to make it a true bolt in setup

these are some of the pic I took while doing the project
Randy
Old 02-24-2007, 08:16 AM
rlane5
Pro

Originally Posted by AKS Racing
Rlane
Are you saying there was no cutting required to put the 9" Ford under your vette? Where did you place the diagonal linK? Were the shocks able to hit the factory location? And, how much additional tire room did you gain? Man, the reliability issue would be great (dreaming of no more checking of half shafts and spindle shafts).

Imagine what going from a 1.75sec 60' time in a mid to high 9 car to a 1.3 sec 60' time. Scary!!!

Aaron
I got stupid with a brake line a dill a snubber bracket instead of getting a longer lineeverything bolt to the rear Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Woooohoooo part are out for delivery!

Old 02-24-2007, 08:22 AM
AKS Racing
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rlane5
I got stupid with a brake line a dill a snubber bracket instead of getting a longer lineeverything bolt to the rear Randy
I am not really sure what you were meaning by your last post, but from the pic it appears that most everything just bolted into the factory brackets. What did you do for the diagonal link (panhard bar, or maybe a wishbone?)?

Also, what did you do for the trans mount? How about some pics from the rear installed and a pic of the trans mount.

Have you run the car since the install? Improvements in short time? Did you have difficulty with IC due to the short four link?

Thanks for sharing the info.
Aaron
Old 02-24-2007, 08:25 AM
rlane5
Pro

AKS,
You do have to cut 4 holes in the body for the crossmember I fab but that is not big deal and the I made the crossmember you can still use it with a IRS to strength the frame
Randy
Old 02-24-2007, 08:29 AM
rlane5
Pro

I used a panhard bar that bolt to the top of the shock on the drive side to bracket I made for the passenger side of the rear

Quick Reply: Woooohoooo part are out for delivery!