C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

K&N oil filter versus Purolator oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 10:59 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Subdriver
He says he is using Mobil 1 in the Vette in the first post.

FYI, the info pasted by Mike above shows what I was trying to explain above in that the K&N filter flows very well but doesn't filter as well. However, there is some evidence to show that this is actually beneficial for the LSx motors. For some concrete data, here is a used oil analysis report on a 99 C5 using AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 and a K&N 1007 filter:
Corvette C5 AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 Used Oil Analysis Report

The results show that the wear products in his motor are well below the fleet average for that lab and this motor family at similar time in engine life. While I think most of that is due to the oil, it is clear that the filter isn't hurting the engine either. So for those running the K&N oil filter, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Go back and look at what he said. He was talking about the dino oil in the Dakota, not the Vette. I can read.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:03 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
Paying extra for K&N or Mobil 1 filters is like pissing in the wind. But I suppose its all good for the "nothing but the best for my baby" crowd. I hope you wouldn't mind if I stole your wallet at the same time?

I use Purolator Pur-One.
Mobil 1 synthetic oil is unnecessary in a L98 as well , but if it makes them feel better I guess it's O. K.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:24 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
Go back and look at what he said. He was talking about the dino oil in the Dakota, not the Vette. I can read.
Sorry, misunderstood your post. Thought you were referring to the Vette oil, not the Dakota oil.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 12-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

subdriver, for all intents and purposes with most folks here (ie, we don't race for a living and don't care), all that expensive, overpriced amsoil oil and filters are a total waste of money.

what you peddle is about feeling good, not about need, for us here. the "nothing but the best for my baby" guys do love it all though (which always cracks me up).

so thank you, i'd rather keep my money in my wallet if its all the same to you.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 12-03-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:43 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Subdriver
Sorry, misunderstood your post. Thought you were referring to the Vette oil, not the Dakota oil.
No problem, just wanted to be clear.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW, the Advance "chepo" oil is Havoline. Exact same stuff you get if you buy Havoline.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
Only way to be sure if there is a problem is to have oil analysis done on the Vette. BTW, the smaller the pore size the faster it clogs up.
I agree that you are correct about an oil analysis being the real way to get a legitimate answer. I am puzzled by the comment about smaller pore size clogging up faster. Are you stating that as if it is a bad thing? If a filter is clogging up faster, isn't it MORE quickly pulling out contamination? Isn't that the whole idea of a filter? What good is a filter if it lasts forever because it never clogs up due to large pore sizes that pass lots of contamination?

Not trying to put words in your mouth, just asking for you to make your point clearer.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an '85 with 112K miles and it burns almost a quart of oil between oil changes (3000 miles). As far as I can tell it only burns a little bit on start up, probably bad valve seals. My oil gets really dirty after about 1000 miles and everyone tells me its normal. The more and more I think about it I think I need to rebuild the whole engine.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

If an oil has better wear characteristics it will help your engine last longer, and may save you money in the long run by decrease costs into the engine.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
subdriver, for all intents and purposes with most folks here (ie, we don't race for a living and don't care), all that expensive, overpriced amsoil oil and filters are a total waste of money.
AMSOIL makes three tiers of oil, ranging from a Group III synthetic rated for six months or 7,500 miles of use, to oils more suited for the track. The lowest tier is not any more expensive than Mobil 1. The new EA Oil Filters are on the expensive side of the spectrum, but there aren't many filters on the market rated for 25k miles of use either... not that any Vette owners would actually use one that long.

Quick Reply: K&N oil filter versus Purolator oil filter