C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Ur Kiddin....$700+

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 01:42 PM
TestDriver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ur Kiddin....$700+

So i took my car for an oil change today $75, and also got my headlight checked. Problem i am having is when i turn off they lights it makes like 5-6 poppin tickin noise from the front left headlight. The lights open and close effortlessly, jst that noise when it is fully open and when i close them. WHAT could be the problem????
I think i had read somewhere that it could be headlight brushings, cheap fix. So i mentioned that to the tech lady at the stealership. So she comes back and says no way its that, its ur motor, its goin out. She then tells me $700+ labor and stuff. I say nver mind but still get charged $95 cause she checked.

My main point of this thread is, was the lady right is it my headlight motor or is it just my brushings?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:05 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Probably just the bushings and the motor assembly is now somewhere around $400. I don't know the flat rate but assuming shop labor of $85/hour, the Dealer seems a tad high. I don't know of any Dealer that will install just the bushings or take apart much of anything and rebuild it - it's all R & R.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:07 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

mine were just doing the same thing. Bought new bushings...and 2hours later I had mine fixed. One side they were totally dust, the other side had a few pieces left. man was it messy.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TestDriver
So i took my car for an oil change today $75, and also got my headlight checked. Problem i am having is when i turn off they lights it makes like 5-6 poppin tickin noise from the front left headlight. The lights open and close effortlessly, jst that noise when it is fully open and when i close them. WHAT could be the problem????
I think i had read somewhere that it could be headlight brushings, cheap fix. So i mentioned that to the tech lady at the stealership. So she comes back and says no way its that, its ur motor, its goin out. She then tells me $700+ labor and stuff. I say nver mind but still get charged $95 cause she checked.

My main point of this thread is, was the lady right is it my headlight motor or is it just my brushings?
Let me get this straight, you paid the dealer $95 for a woman to pull up a labor quote on replacing headlight motor?

Last edited by Wheelman; 11-28-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:28 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd also like to get straight 3 other things:

1. WTH did you go to a dealership for anything, no less an oil change, in the first place?

2. $75 for an oil change by anybody is a complete ripoff.

3. NEVER GO SOMEWHERE FOR SIMPLE THINGS ANY MAN CAN DO. AND NEVER GO TO A DEALERSHIP FOR ANYTHING PERIOD.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:35 PM
SK.LT1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90

1. WTH did you go to a dealership for anything, no less an oil change, in the first place?

3. NEVER GO SOMEWHERE FOR SIMPLE THINGS ANY MAN CAN DO. AND NEVER GO TO A DEALERSHIP FOR ANYTHING PERIOD.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:47 PM
CoolVette86
Race Director

Location: Partying with the Cowboys cheerleaders in Mt. Olive, New Jersey
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90

Whoa whoa whoa! Easy on the guy! Maybe he's not as handy as you and I. (although I did chuckle a bit reading these three, sorry man)

1. Agree
2. Strongly agree
3. Yes and No. Sometimes you just can't get that specific GM part that you absolutely need yesterday, try the dealership.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:05 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 306 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Ease up there folks...y'all don't know this person and have no idea why they use the dealer...I can't work on my cars due to medical problems...oil changes included...anyone who thinks this makes me less of a man can kiss my girly-man's hairy butt...LOL

I do agree one can get vette work done for the same, or less, money by a vette specialty shop...rather than jump on someone immediately, why not ask why they went to a dealership first?...maybe they have a good reason or maybe they are just naive...
Old 11-28-2006, 03:27 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you can't do your own oil change & lube I would suggest finding a reputable Jiffy Lube. My local guy does the full syn deal, etc for $50.

To test the bushings, rotate the ***** atop the headlight motors; if the response is "mushy" it's the bushings, else I would consider the motor or gears might be the problem.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:34 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
I would suggest finding a reputable Jiffy Lube
Therein lies the problem.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 11-28-2006, 03:34 PM
zo1boy
Le Mans Master

I agree, I would sooner put a hammer through my windsheild than go to the dealer.

Perhaps you have your reasons, and they will be respected if not corrected.

IMO take a look at it yourself, you've got hundreds of C4 Vette guys willing to help at your fingertips, for free.

What feels better? The satisfaction of doing something yourself, or the lightness of your wallet?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Ease up there folks...y'all don't know this person and have no idea why they use the dealer...I can't work on my cars due to medical problems...oil changes included...anyone who thinks this makes me less of a man can kiss my girly-man's hairy butt...LOL

I do agree one can get vette work done for the same, or less, money by a vette specialty shop...rather than jump on someone immediately, why not ask why they went to a dealership first?...maybe they have a good reason or maybe they are just naive...
My frustrations are directed at the dealer, not at him. It pisses me off to see people get taken like this..
Old 11-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Jims1988C4
Pro

Dealers suck !! In plain english. I already knew my U-joints were shot when I took them to a dealer for an estimite on replacing them. I got a call from them saying it would cost almost $1200 parts and labor !!! WTF ??? I said no thanks and went to go pick up my Vette,was told I had to pay $99 +$7 tax to get her !!! WTF !!!!! I already told them what was wrong,she said it was for the test drive and put the car on the lift !! BS...I had them fixed for $700 at a local seed shop. I calld the dealer,bitched enough that they gave me a $106 credit but I just may never go to that dealer again.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:58 PM
zo1boy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jims1988C4
I calld the dealer,bitched enough that they gave me a $106 credit but I just may never go to that dealer again.
Wow! $106 credit at the dealer. That will buy you 4 new plastic valve stem caps for your Vette!!

Old 11-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i didn't mean to swoop down on the man, and maybe he does have a condition where he can't change his own oil.

as for parts needed in a hurry, many times your local chubby dealer won't stock it either....so you're at least 24 hours away from it in the 1rst place.

i will never, ever give any dealership a pass. never. i abhore them. their bread & butter is directly focused at ripping off the public with prices beyond comprehension. this applies particularly at their SERVICE DEPT. their service dept. is where their profits really shine vs. the rest of the dealership. this is nothing good i see about going there. warranty work of course is the ONLY exception. there is no other excuse, other than either being lazy or desperate. and alot of IDIOTS work there too.

I HATE DEALERSHIPS, period, end of story, case closed.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:33 PM
wisynoil
5th Gear

$75 for an oil change? Unless they come out to you, this is way to much. If they come to you than that's different. Don't go to Jiffy Lube, find a local independent shop thats trusted if you can't do it yourself.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:45 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

His car is a 95 so he needed Mobil-1 for the LT1 motor. Five quarts of that at a dealership runs about $40. A AC-Declo filter at the dealer is about $8.00. Then dealers typically charge labor on top of that so add another $20. Hazardous waste fees and taxes can certainly push a simple oil change in to that range. My local dealer charges $37.95 for a basic LOF with 4 quarts of dino oil.

Although I would never recommend a Jiffy Lube as a place to go, even those places charge $8 per quart for Mobil-1 if they even have it in stock.

The part about charging $90 for labor to "diagnose" a headlamp motor issue is pure Even if a qualified tech looked at it, it should not have taken more that 10-15 minutes to figure out what the problem was and the service writer should have been able to estimate parts and labor in 5 minutes or less. For that amount of time a good service writer would not have charged anything for that.

I would have "strenuously objected" to the extra $90 charge. To the point that the General Manager and the Service Manager (and any customers) would have heard me.

Get notified of new replies

To Ur Kiddin....$700+

Old 11-28-2006, 06:46 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I got a call from them saying it would cost almost $1200 parts and labor !!! WTF ???
BS...I had them fixed for $700 at a local seed shop.
I'm going into business. The only thing I will do is C4 u joints.

I calld the dealer,bitched enough that they gave me a $106 credit but I just may never go to that dealer again.
The problem with the credit is you have to get screwed again to collect.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 06:48 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TestDriver
So i took my car for an oil change today $75,
That was your first mistake.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:13 PM
creoleman
Burning Brakes

TestDriver, as for your going somewhere for an oil change,your reasons are your own, I say.But I agree with all the guys on the Dealership thing.They generally seem to be somewhat on the Shady side, especially when they see a Corvette.Good luck on the light fix, and Enjoy the Toy!

Quick Reply: Ur Kiddin....$700+