C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How difficult too install C5 Z06 brakes on a C4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 06:08 PM
stubbs
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How difficult too install C5 Z06 brakes on a C4?

I have seen a few cars done this way, including Vader86's car. What is required for such a swap. Do any vendors make caliper brakets to pull it off? Will the C4 Master Cylinder work? How about the rears, will they swap as well? What about wheel clearance, I have ZR1 rims, is that enough clearance?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:58 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

1. Took me all of an hour to do the swap.
2. I bought everything new from Chris May at Superior Chev.
3. There is someone here on the forum that makes the caliper adapter brackets and sells them reasonable, I belive they are a vendor but I don't rember who. A search should bring them to light.
4. The stock C-4 master will work fine. You may want to get a bias spring from DRM.
5. No need to swap the rear calipers, there is practially no performance difference between the C-5 and C-4 rear calipers. The front brakes do most of the work anyway.
6. ZR1/A-mold wheels or their replicas will give you all the caliper clearance you need.
Will
Old 10-29-2006, 07:25 PM
stubbs
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
1. Took me all of an hour to do the swap.
2. I bought everything new from Chris May at Superior Chev.
3. There is someone here on the forum that makes the caliper adapter brackets and sells them reasonable, I belive they are a vendor but I don't rember who. A search should bring them to light.
4. The stock C-4 master will work fine. You may want to get a bias spring from DRM.
5. No need to swap the rear calipers, there is practially no performance difference between the C-5 and C-4 rear calipers. The front brakes do most of the work anyway.
6. ZR1/A-mold wheels or their replicas will give you all the caliper clearance you need.
Will
I have one more question.........what are Fridays winning Lottery #'s. Seriously though that was a great series of answers Will, thank you. On the rears it was more a cosmetic thing to have matching calipers. Did the fella who makes the brackets also make rear swap brackets by any chance?
How much were the Calipers? Do you need to swap spindles? I'm guessing the stock or any aftermarket Z06 Rotors will work?
But all in all, what is your opinion of the swap? Was it worth the time and money invested? Was there a significant difference in stopping power?
Thanks
Old 10-29-2006, 08:15 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

I don't know of anyone who has swaped the C-5 rears to a C-4. There have been some folks running the C-5 fronts on the rear thou (like with 6 piston fronts)so you can do it but theres alot of engineering thats going to need to happen on figuring out how much master cly, proporting valve and fluid pressure you need to make it work thou. I think ?Electrodynamics? makes the adapters for it. They also make the front adapters but be warned they are expensive. I understand the matching caliper thing but just paint the stock rears the same color and it will look great. You can get a better deal on the front adapter brackets by searching the forum, just type in "C-5 front brake upgrade" or something similar.

As for how much it cost. I bought everything from Superior Chevy as a kit. Honestly the entire swap cost me about $600 including the adapter brackets (but I got a good deal on them through the forum), so it may cost you a bit more depending on how cheaply you can get the adapter brackets. This is a list of every thing you need to do the fronts. This is the same kit I bought, complete with prices.

https://www.superchevyperformance.co...les.asp?ID=124

You don't need to do anything to the spindels. This is a bolt on swap with the proper adapter brackets.

Yep, it uses stock C-5 (regular or Z06) rotors. Nice and cheap to replace, plenty of aftermarket support for it too.

All in all, IMO it was well worth the $$$. The brakes are awesome for anything that might happen on the street. There is a huge difference in stopping power. Before, If I tried to pull the car down from high speed more than once all I got was brake fade and warped rotors. Hell I once warped a set of 12" rotors trying to bed them in. The brakes now have that "extra margine" for abuse, if I choose to AutoX or do some limited road racing. Its not a road racing set up by any means but its light years better than the stock 12" brakes were. My only complaint... I drag race alot and my 15" Welds won't clear the calipers anymore. My only choice for front drag racing wheels are the brand new 17X4" Weld pro star 2.0's or the CCW's C-5 16" Drag Pack. Both expensive but you gotta pay to play I guess.

Good luck its a great swap.
Will
Old 10-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Look for a well informed geltleman by the name of jeffvette for the brackets. His is usually found on the ZR1 section of the forum
Old 10-29-2006, 11:15 PM
stubbs
Safety Car

Will, did you do the Z06 brakes or just C5 brakes?
Mr. Peabody Thank you I'll try to find him

Last edited by stubbs; 10-29-2006 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:25 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The only difference between Z06 and C5 brakes is the color of the caliper. Mine are Z06s. Its not any bigger nor does it need a different pad. I got everything from Superior, the link is at the bottom of my page, but for me tends to be spotty. Just buy everything there and youre done. I wouldnt bother with the rear, since its basically no better than your stock one, just paint to match. You should install a Doug Rippie bias spring into the MC, but its not necessary. I dont have it yet and these brakes are way ahead of what GM gave us in 84-87.

You use brake lines made for 87s, C5 calipers bolt to them with no issue.

ZR1 rims clear perfectly. My GS rims are basically the exact same rim.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:03 AM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

I have the Z06 calipers but Vader is correct, there is no difference other than Z06's are powder coated red.

Vader, Superior has changed their site around a bit lately, the link I listed is correct for now.
Will
Old 10-30-2006, 09:59 AM
stubbs
Safety Car

OK then I will definetly go with the Z06 front calipers, then I'll go with Baer 2 piece rotors. I also want to use 2 piece rotors in the rear but they are only offered for 88-96, can I mount an 88-96 rear brake setup in an 87 so I can use the 2 piece rotor, or would I be better off just using a C5 rear caliper and 2 piece rotor setup?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:54 AM
F1Fan
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Why not just the HD front brake (J55?) setup from the '94+'s?
The rotors with it are huge, 13". And aren't the C5 rotors 12"?
Also, the caliper is in a different position too? I guess it's less unsprung weight/rotating mass to have, but over an older C4 stock setup I'd do it, not so sure I'd do it if the car had the J55 brakes tho.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:04 PM
stubbs
Safety Car

I don't have the J55, but that aside in several places I've read that the J55's aren't even near the stopping power of the C5 setup, even with the rotor size differences. I don't really care about cost, I care about value for my dollar, the J55 gains would be minimal, thats not worth it to me. I want big results for my money and the people who have done the C5 swap seem to rave about it, both in performance, cost and ease of installation, so thats the way for me to go. And you are correct in guessing that I'm very much after reducing unsprung weight with the 2 piece rotors, it makes huge differences in the car.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:04 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F1Fan
Why not just the HD front brake (J55?) setup from the '94+'s?
The rotors with it are huge, 13". And aren't the C5 rotors 12"?
Also, the caliper is in a different position too? I guess it's less unsprung weight/rotating mass to have, but over an older C4 stock setup I'd do it, not so sure I'd do it if the car had the J55 brakes tho.

The C5's are 12.8" actually but with more pad material in area and depth.

The actual difference overall is pretty much null for most cases.

At this point (for others), cost may push for C5s. The calipers new are ~100$/per (Z06s are cheaper than straight black C5s I believe) also you can get the rotors for around 20$ for PG Plus brand whereas C4 rotors are still high(no demand?).

I would definitely do the DRM spring, though I think there could still be more bias in the rear. I have only driven on them at one event though, so I can't say for sure.
Since you have J55s I honestly don't know. I know people have said it makes a difference, but were those people qualified? I don't know. I don't even remember who said that to be honest. If you have the cash though, you might as well go. The fatter pads are a nice plus!

Another thing to mention, I did have to do some filing on the lower part of the knuckle where the adapter bracket bolts to. The bolt head was just barely hitting the Al so I took a wood file and just took it down really quick. I felt this was better than forcing it through the Al and it only took a few minutes so it wasn't that bad.

Last edited by USAsOnlyWay; 10-30-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

The C5 brakes would be better on a road course, so I'd like to use them. But I would need larger rims first.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:03 PM
Eike
Racer

Btw, here is a CAD drawing of the bracket for using C5 brakes on 88-96 Vettes: http://www.corvetteforum.de/userfile...6_c5-brake.pdf

Old 11-07-2006, 02:09 PM
geezel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I assume the Earl's 1984-87 Hyperfirm SS brake lines (Summit #EAR-28A080ERL) will bolt up to the C5 calipers. Is this correct?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:24 PM
stubbs
Safety Car

Originally Posted by geezel
I assume the Earl's 1984-87 Hyperfirm SS brake lines (Summit #EAR-28A080ERL) will bolt up to the C5 calipers. Is this correct?
I was told they would by VBP
Old 11-07-2006, 05:07 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 84-87 alum adapters

outer holes are mounts, seven inner holes are cooling + some weight reduction

Get notified of new replies

To How difficult too install C5 Z06 brakes on a C4?

Old 11-07-2006, 05:12 PM
VBP
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Default Vbp P/n's 22500 & 22500fr

We have a kit, P/N 22500, that will put Front C-5 Calipers, hoses, pads, and 13" Sport (slotted and cryo/thermal treated) rotors on the front of your 1987 Corvette. The kit comes with the mounting bracket and our design adaptor bracket to enable you to do this. The kit is $789.95 and right now we are offering Free Powder Coating (a $75.00 value).

Since we started offering powder coating for the calipers and many customers wanted the calipers and the rotors etc. to match all the way around, we started offering a new kit, P/N 22500FR. This kit includes all of the above, but with C-4 rear calipers, matching 12" Sport rotors, pads, and ss braided brake hoses. Everything needed to re-do all the brakes all the way around and have them match. We are also offering Free Powder Coating for this kit too, a $125.00 value.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please do not hesitate to email me directly at pattie@vbandp.com or call toll free at 1-800-237-9991. I am going on vacation for a week, so you can also call and ask for Gary. There is not a picture of the kit on my website, but if you email me directly, I can email you a pic from my files.

Pattie
VBP
Old 11-08-2006, 12:48 PM
Darkgh0st
Melting Slicks

Great thread. lots of good info
Old 11-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Darkgh0st
Melting Slicks

I know you can use stock sawblades with C5 brakes using spacers. Is there anything negative about using spacers? Does it look different? Add alot of weight? Hard to find?

Quick Reply: How difficult too install C5 Z06 brakes on a C4?