C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Odd hatch release question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Tourney3p0
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd hatch release question

Hey guys,

My 88 has been sitting for several months while I was away for school. Prior to sitting, my rear hatch released on cue all the time, every time when pushing the buttons on the door.

Now however, when I push the button on the door the rear hatch does not open every time. When it fails to open, there's no click sound like it's trying to open. Since I'm the driver of the car, I typically try to open it on the driver side. If I have a passenger open the passenger side door, the driver side door hatch release starts working instantly. The same scenario occurs on the passenger side.. it usually won't open, but if the driver side door opens the hatch release on the passenger side starts working.

I should mention that a few months to parking my car, I replaced the hatch release solenoid because it broke one day when I closed the hatch.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it more likely that I got a bad solenoid and should simply replace it again, or has something happened to my wiring while the car was sitting?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:19 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Default I hate wiring issues!

Hi,

How about removing the hatch solenoid and use a test light at the terminal ends of the wiring to the solenoid and then go & trigger the switches to see if the signal is getting thru consistantly??? If you get a signal at every try then it might be okay to figure the switches & wiring from the switches is okay???

I'm no electrical guy but it seems to me that maybe with the solenoid out you could test it too....apply 12v & see how consistantly it operates??

Sorry, I wish I had something to point at for you.

Tom
Old 11-19-2006, 07:24 AM
tomtom72
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'19, '21-'22-'23-'24

Default I forgot!

Jez I'm sorry I forgot this point!

I believe that there is a "saftey" so we can't open the hatch unless.....the rest I don't remember. It's in the owner's manual. The only switches I use are my door switches, the console switch doesn't fall to hand for me, the door switches do.

sorry for my senior moment!

Tom
Old 11-19-2006, 07:53 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe something with the light timer, door switches. I had a quick look at the schematic and with more than just a switch involved, anything is possible.
http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Hatch%20Release.pdf
Old 11-19-2006, 08:12 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

The contacts in door switches tend to get corroded if not used. I think you spray cleaner in them to get them going. Did you try the switch in the glove box when the door switch fails ?
Old 11-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Tourney3p0
Pro

Thanks for the replies guys.

I haven't yet tried the console switch, but I'll test that today. I guess that should be a pretty good indicator of whether I should start at the door switches or the solenoid.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:34 AM
Tourney3p0
Pro

I figured I'd post the diagnosis, for anyone who might be searching in the future.

It was very easy. The little door button that detects whether the door is open or closed had gotten a bit dirty. As a result, the car thought the door was closed when I pushed the hatch release button, and apparently it's smart enough to not open the hatch with the doors closed. I guess this protection isn't on the inner console hatch release, because it functioned like a champ the whole time.

If I had tried this in the dark it would have been obvious. The interior light didn't come on with the driver's side door open.

Get notified of new replies

To Odd hatch release question

Quick Reply: Odd hatch release question