C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85, Removing door panel, dont want to damage, need tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 03:35 AM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 85, Removing door panel, dont want to damage, need tips

Hey guys, I have to take apart the drivers side door on my 85 c4 to fix my window that wont roll up.

I had a 88 stang when i was younger and i remeber i took the door panel off, and when i put it back on it never sat right because i was kinda ruff taking it off, and i didnt know where to start. Although the second door came out perfect.

Also the vette has that carpet which i belive is glued on, and that is not something I want to damage as well.

Well if you have any advise or pointers i would appreciate it.

Dan
Old 10-21-2006, 03:30 PM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

No one ?
Old 10-21-2006, 05:42 PM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

First remove all the screws around the bottom perimiter and about 1/4 way up on both sides. Then remove the two screws in the door pull. Then remove the screws holding the speaker cover on. Then remove the screws that go through the door release handle assembly (don't forget the hidden one which is visible only when you pull the handle out. Then there is one screw about 1/2 way up the panel on the outside edge. That should be all the screws. Gently pull the panel away from the door starting at the bottom which is still attached with plastic pressure pins.

Remember that there are several wiring harnesses still attached that must be disconnected as you gain access to them. The door handle area is a little tricky. The plastic cover on the lock button has to be taken off of the rod it is attached to. Sometimes it comes right off, other times it's a PITA. Once the cover is off the rod, the door panel is lifted off the door at the top edge and pulled away from the door. You will have to keep the door handle in the open position in order to slide it through the panel.

I haven't done my door panels in a while but I'm very confident that this is the procedure. If i messed up somewhere, I'm sure someone will chime in and set me straight. It's really very easy to pop the panel, just remember that all the plastic is 20 years old and very brittle. Gentle tugs will always work better than sharp pulls.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Yellow2015
Pro

Originally Posted by CG77VETTE
First remove all the screws around the bottom perimiter and about 1/4 way up on both sides. Then remove the two screws in the door pull. Then remove the screws holding the speaker cover on. Then remove the screws that go through the door release handle assembly (don't forget the hidden one which is visible only when you pull the handle out. Then there is one screw about 1/2 way up the panel on the outside edge. That should be all the screws. Gently pull the panel away from the door starting at the bottom which is still attached with plastic pressure pins.

Remember that there are several wiring harnesses still attached that must be disconnected as you gain access to them. The door handle area is a little tricky. The plastic cover on the lock button has to be taken off of the rod it is attached to. Sometimes it comes right off, other times it's a PITA. Once the cover is off the rod, the door panel is lifted off the door at the top edge and pulled away from the door. You will have to keep the door handle in the open position in order to slide it through the panel.

I haven't done my door panels in a while but I'm very confident that this is the procedure. If i messed up somewhere, I'm sure someone will chime in and set me straight. It's really very easy to pop the panel, just remember that all the plastic is 20 years old and very brittle. Gentle tugs will always work better than sharp pulls.
although my 88 has no pressure pins the screws described are accurate. JUST TAKE YOUR TIME.........
Old 10-22-2006, 12:36 AM
mash557
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No arguments with any of the above. However, I would recommend going to dealer or whereever you can find them, body shop maybe, and get the nylon inserts that the screws go into. They are oval and probably not worth a darn after this long. I bought mine from GM and they weren't that expensive. This will help keep the panel from rattling.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:09 AM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Nylon inserts for the screws ? You mean like where all the bottom ones screw in, this way it will be tighter ?

Or do you mean the plastic push plugs that hold the door panel on.

Hey i have that tool some where to take them off nicely.

Thanks for the advise every one, knowing about that hidded screw and taking off the lock button will really help..

Dan

PS do you guys re glew that carpet to the pannel often ?
Old 10-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Happydad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mash557
No arguments with any of the above. However, I would recommend going to dealer or whereever you can find them, body shop maybe, and get the nylon inserts that the screws go into. They are oval and probably not worth a darn after this long. I bought mine from GM and they weren't that expensive. This will help keep the panel from rattling.
I'm replaceing mine now and bought some from the dealer keeps things nice and tight
Old 10-22-2006, 03:02 PM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettedan22
PS do you guys re glew that carpet to the pannel often ?
The carpet comes off with the door panel and should only have to be reglued if you replace it. If your carpet is still in good condition but it's just loose, you can reglue it to the panel. If the carpet is not in good condition, most of the suppliers sell just the panel carpet for replacement. In addition to adhesive, there are also small staples used to hold the carpet on. You can see where the staples are from the back once you remove the door panel. The stapling can be a little damaging to the plastic panel since it is old and brittle. Just go real slow and don't use too many. And yes, replacing all the nylon inserts as suggested above, is highly recommended. Good Luck!

Get notified of new replies

To 85, Removing door panel, dont want to damage, need tips

Quick Reply: 85, Removing door panel, dont want to damage, need tips