C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Best Crate / Engine swap option?

Old 09-17-2001, 08:28 PM
notbob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Crate / Engine swap option?

Looking to find replacement engine for my car, not looking to spend a lot of time waiting on Machine work, just want to get it in and be done with it ;P
Any ideas?

And yes I consider lingenfelter too expensive ;)

This is for an L98 '88 Corvette Coupe, with 3.07 Rear End & It's an auto
Old 09-17-2001, 08:36 PM
Hutch
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Best Crate / Engine swap option? (notbob)

I suggest you check our More Performance at http://www.moreperformanceinc.com. They have developed quite a good reputation for building strong, quality motors at a reasonable price and they know C4's well. Good folks to deal with, too.
Old 09-17-2001, 08:40 PM
notbob
Racer

Default Re: Best Crate / Engine swap option? (gs633)

Their prices seem really overly high, I'm not sure if I missed something but their Top End package for L98's listed @ $3k sounds way over priced for the products it includes and I don't see how the hell that produces 425hp?
Old 09-17-2001, 09:44 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Notbob,

what do you want?

you want added performance or a stock replacement.. tell us your goals and it will help a bit more
Old 09-17-2001, 11:39 PM
traxx1
Racer

An excellant crate motor would be the 350 ci-330hp gm motor wiyh the vortec heads pt#12486041 price is now $2100 330hp @5000 rpm and 380 lbs torque at 3800 rpmyou will have to buy an adapter from dickey scoggin to make your tpi system work on the vortec heads but you will get a full warrenty with it.

:jester :jester :jester
Old 09-18-2001, 12:04 AM
notbob
Racer

Default Re: Best Crate / Engine swap option? (traxx1)

I'm looking to replace the stock setup, no I don't care about my car being anywhere near stock, it's no collectors edition I mean really ;P

Hrmm I was thinking about something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...item=595554258

And staying easy with the peddle for a while till I can afford a rear end upgrade, would the standard auto tranny hold up to this kind of power long term? I know the rear end needs a DANA 44 swap

I'm looking to crank performance up to mid 300s or low 400s.
Budget under $4k for engine (going on my fixed rate gold card temporarily), my mechanic will do the install for $900, then i've got the old L98 long block that'll be for sale.

I'm planning to use the current stock tpi intake for now (insert your flame about no super/mini ram here), yes that will change when I have more $$$ to spare, I wasn't intended to ever do this big of a swap but I don't feel like tanking money into fixing old block and f it if I'm going to swap it I'm going to increase performance.
Old 09-18-2001, 03:50 AM
corvette_bob
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As someone that's built an engine in the last year or so,
I'd say go with a ZZ4 from chevy.
1st call a chip-burner like fastchips to line up a chip,
then order the engine and bolt it in.
I haven't heard any negative comments on this
setup, and there is the "chance" of it running ok
with the stock chip.
Old 09-18-2001, 07:47 AM
LouisBarton
Instructor

Have you considered just getting a long block and swapping parts over? if it were my car, I'd spring for a 383 long block and put it back with the stock chip, intake etc. then upgrade the bolt ons as time and money permit. I don't see how you are going to get a reliable 400hp without uping the cubes. The Dana 36 should handle the torque in the short run if you ease into the throttle from a standing start and don't subject it to high shock loads and quick drag hook ups.
Old 09-18-2001, 09:02 AM
corvette1990
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Best Crate / Engine swap option? (LouisBarton)

well NOTBOB, My cheapo reccomendation, assuming your Heads are useable, would be to buy the ZZ4 crate lower half block. Then have the heads cleaned and valve jobbed for around $200 to 300. And bolt on all your accessories and intake with new gaskets. Seeing you will need a new cam, i would go with one from TPIS or LPE. No matter what block you choose long block or short block, you will have to replace the gaskets on the intake and exhaust. One step further is the Head Gasket. Wish i had realized this 9 months ago before I sunk like 10k into my old car and then needed a new tranny as well.
Old 09-18-2001, 08:46 PM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the latest Chevy High Performance. They have a section on crate motors.
Old 09-18-2001, 10:45 PM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I would think about doing a 383 stroker if you are going to redo the bottom end. We can accomodate the rotating assemble with 4340 forged steel crank, 4340 H-beam rods and Kieth Black Hypereutectic pistons, rings pins etc. for around $1575. We can also go cast crank with I-beam rods for even more savings ( around $1175 ballanced)
Either way, there is no point is going back to stock cubes if for around the same price you can get more cubes!!!

Give me a call or email if you would like us to work you up a quote.
Old 09-18-2001, 11:02 PM
notbob
Racer

Default Re: Best Crate / Engine swap option? (2FST4U)

You've got mail.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Crate / Engine swap option?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Crate / Engine swap option?