C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Few Questions for you Forum Veterans

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 04:55 PM
96Eric
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few Questions for you Forum Veterans

My 96 is getting to that age where everything is starting to take crap at the same time. Nothing major, just those little things that get to be a major pain the ***. Anyway...

1.) My headlights aren't functioning properly, they will go up somethings, hang downward somethings, and make popping noises after closing. Ive done some research and have decided to buy the 3-bushing set from ecklers for each headlight. Has anyone had any luck with replacing the bushings, and is there anything I should know prior to installation to make my life a little easier?

2.) My driver side window does not move anymore. Thank God it's up. But the passenger window operates normally. The windows were equally fast and never has a hitch, making me believe the motors are fine in both doors. In my opinion it is the switch that is malfunctioning. The master switch on the driver side works on the passenger side but not the driver. Any way possible to test this before buying the $160 switch?

Thoughts and Advice?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:16 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Eric
1.) My headlights aren't functioning properly, is there anything I should know prior to installation to make my life a little easier?:
The latest issue of Corvette Magazine has an article on replacing C4 headlight internals. Lots of pictures and directions.

2.) The master switch on the driver side works on the passenger side but not the driver. Any way possible to test this before buying the $160 switch? Thoughts and Advice?
Pull the switch out and use a continuity tester (V/A/O meter) to check it. Keep in mind that some (I don't know if the Corvette is one of these) car's window switches don't supply power to the motors, they supply a ground to the motors. I spent a whole day on my Scirocco before I figured this out; the driver's switch was the bad one, but the passenger's switch was the one that wouldn't activate the window. I know, odd.

Larry
code5coupe

Last edited by rocco16; 10-10-2006 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:22 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not positive..I'll have to take another look, but I think in the latest issue of Corvette Magazine it shows a complete teardown and rebuild of the headlight motor gears. Pictures and step by step instructions.

The door switches can be tested. It will take a FSM (Factory Service Manual) to do this. Certain wires can be grounded for the window go down and the another wire to make the window go up if the switch is the problem.

Other with experience in this can help also.

EDIT: rocco16 beat me to it.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:31 PM
96Eric
Racer

Thanks, guy's Im sure it isn't as easy as it looks but that explains it.

I started tearing the door apart and when i push the switch up or down it makes a click noise somewhere inside the door near the top of the door, where I am assuming the motor is. Make sense?
Old 10-10-2006, 05:43 PM
96Eric
Racer

Well the owners manual was useless, but surprisingly the Haynes manual was even more of a failure.

And I quote:

"Because of the difficulty involved in gaining access to the power window motor and becuase of the special tools required to remove and install the mounting rivets, replacement of this component should be done by a dealer service department."

I have rivet tool, whats the big deal????
Old 10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

You need the Helm Factory Service Manual to replace the electric window motor with. To be honest, 90% of power window failures are due to motors crapping out, not switches. The key to doing this right is to not screw up the window alignment...

As for the headlites, get the Corvette Mag issues... as stated, it has everything.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:10 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Well the owners manual was useless, but surprisingly the Haynes manual was even more of a failure.

And I quote:

"Because of the difficulty involved in gaining access to the power window motor and becuase of the special tools required to remove and install the mounting rivets, replacement of this component should be done by a dealer service department."

I have rivet tool, whats the big deal????
My motor went bad about 2 years ago. Disassembled the whole door but could not get the window down to work on it and was not sure what to do with those large rivets I saw. My rivet gun does not go that large. First time, let the dealer do it and be done with it. Price was fair about $200 P &L.

Now over time I find out those little secrets. I have found the motors for a much better price in the aftermarket. Those rivets, I believe can be replaced by a low profile nut and bolt. To release the motor there are 2 options. Put external power to the motor and hit it with a hammer. The dealer told me that the bearings in the motor go bad and jam and a little love tap can set it free so the window can be rolled down to work on it. Or, the motor can be unbolted to relieve the window so it can be dropped. Now I am prepared for the next one.

FYI – Have you ever read in the manuals; to replace the motor, roll window half way down. Who writes these things? If I could roll the window down, I wouldn’t need to replace the motor. So how do you move the window with the motor non-operational. This is what should be addressed and it never is.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:46 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

For the lights, also read the C4 TechTips section on this forum.

It's got all the info you need to tackle the lights. It's just bushings.

http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/33098/

No big at all. I replaced mine three years ago with bushings and they're still opening and closing like new money.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:25 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Headlight Repair

This is what you need. They go inside the large motor gear for the rebuild.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...dept%5Fid=1476

Get 2 kits, you won't have to worry about it again.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:03 PM
96Eric
Racer

Thanks again, I just got my headlight kits from eckler's it only took a day to make it to my door, so I'll tackle that tonight.

As far the window motor goes I think it is the motor and not the switch b/c the switch seems to be responding but the window motor is not. Ill just take it too the dealer as long as it doesn't exceed $250. Im trying to sell this car to pay for my new C5 but little things like this are making it really hard.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:15 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Thanks again, I just got my headlight kits from eckler's it only took a day to make it to my door, so I'll tackle that tonight.

As far the window motor goes I think it is the motor and not the switch b/c the switch seems to be responding but the window motor is not. Ill just take it too the dealer as long as it doesn't exceed $250. Im trying to sell this car to pay for my new C5 but little things like this are making it really hard.
Your headlight bushings'll prolly' take you the better part of a weekend the FIRST (and hopefully last) time you do it.

Don't rush. Take your time and get a shop towel to lay the headlight buckets and all the pieces on.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:12 AM
CompYelLt4
Heel & Toe

Another little tip for the headlights:
The head lights themselves should be light weight plastic units. If they have been replaced over the years some one may have put glass ones in. The glass ones are considerably heavier and will wear out your gears and bushings prematurely.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:40 PM
96Eric
Racer

Originally Posted by CompYelLt4
Another little tip for the headlights:
The head lights themselves should be light weight plastic units. If they have been replaced over the years some one may have put glass ones in. The glass ones are considerably heavier and will wear out your gears and bushings prematurely.
Ah... good tip, that makes perfect sense. Ill make sure to check, but Im pretty sure they are glass.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default bushing problem or something else?

I have developed this same problem on my 96. The passenger-side bucket only deploys half-way (and makes squeaking noises as it's rotating) when I actuate the headlights. With the hood in the raised position though both headlights seem to deploy just fine, interestingly enough. Not certain if it's a bushing problem but am planning on changing them out on that side to see.

The Corvette Fever, Corvette Magazine, and Corvetteforum techtip articles all take slightly different approaches for this repair and IMO all should be read beforehand since they all supplement one other. For example, CF takes the buckets off and CM leaves em on. The techtip also gives excellent advice that's not found in either of the two magazines, such as scratching along the headlight mounting brackets and underside of the hood to mark the position of the assembly to ensure correct alignment once you reattach it.

Thx,

Jeff

Last edited by Ajaste; 10-15-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Few Questions for you Forum Veterans

Quick Reply: Few Questions for you Forum Veterans