C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

partial dimming on dash display

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 10:40 PM
1987C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default partial dimming on dash display

Well, this one has me stumped. I drove my car today (1987 coupe) and everything was fine. The digital dash display was as bright and clear as it always has been. I've never had a problem with it. Well, that all changed today.

The center of the display that reads out the trip odometer, oil pressure and water temp and the instant MPG was doing fine. I was driving along and looked down to find the water temp and instant MPG part of the display (the right half of this middle part of the dash) was barely readable. The display numbers had become very dim. Nothing seems to help it. I pulled the lights on and adjusted the dash display brightness control and nothing changed. I did notice that the left hand side of the tachometer display (the numbers along the display) also seemed to be a bit dimmer, but nowhere near as bad as the water temp and instant MPG display.

Anyone ever have this happen? Any ideas on how to fix this thing? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Brad
Old 10-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Yellow2015
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are 4 bulbs in the center of the dash. They are number 882. there are two ways of replacing them............I change them from the front. Remove the dash trim and you'll see 4 silver discs. pop oyt the disc that corresponds to the lights that are out. Using needle nose pliers with electrical tape on the ends (for gripping) pull the defective bulb out.
The new bulb will come already in it's socket. Wearing surgical gloves, remove the bulb from the socket, take the pliers and gently push the prongs into the existing socket until the bulb is seated.

option B is to remove the cluster anf insert from the rear. Not the easiest way in my opinion........

Quick Reply: partial dimming on dash display