C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Could use some input on engine build

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Johnboy3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could use some input on engine build

I am really impressed by the vast amount of engine building knowledge on this board and was hoping a few of you guys could tell me what you think about the setup I'm putting together for our 91. Any input or suggestions are appreciated. The car is mostly just a weekend joy rider and is taken to the strip every once in a while. It definately needs more power as the stock level is very much boring.

Here's the setup:

Four bolt main 350 bored .30 over

383 stroker bottom end balanced

I was thinking of running this cam:

cam specs

I was thinking about these heads:

head specs

I plan on using a LT1 intake with an aftermarket throttle body. The compression ratio should be around 10.3. I'm not sure what size injectors to use and could use some help there, 30lbs? The exhaust will start with Pacesetter headers into a true dual custom exhaust. I plan on running about 2500-2700 stall convertor.

Any input positive or negative is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

It looks like it should provide some pretty good power but aren't Pacesetters shorties? You would really be able to benefit from a set of long tube headers. I think I'd go with a little more converter too. I use a 3000 Vigilante and it's still very driveable. Are you using a 383 kit or putting together your own parts? You'll like the LT1 intake. I've got a friend who has one on a built '85 w/ aftermarket heads and a healthy cam and it's very responsive and strong throughout the range.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:41 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like a set up like I have.
I use the 36 lb injectors and an adjustable reg with the 1.6 RR.
You will need to up grade your fuel pump to the Warlboro 20000169 fuel pump.
You may also need a bigger 52mm throttle body.
The stock 750 cfm throttle body may give you a dead spot on acceloration.
I did get most of that out changing the fuel presure.
I would get the long tubes as mentioned and if you want to save some money the LT1 exaust will bolt up to your combo.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:53 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with both above plus that's a lot a CAM for a street, they listed 2200-6200 rpm but most likley u will see power from 3500 rpm, What rear gears u have ? i would suggest u for 3000 stall TC, i have a 9.5" lockup 3000 stall TC and its my DD. LT headers are a must if u want to see more than 325 Rwhp.
LT1 style exhaust would be nice with an X pipe and 2 Hi flo cats (if emmission required).

Those Heads are fine and looks clean n good, for a cam i would go like 225 I/ 230 E or close to it, but i wont go more than 240 intake or exhaust unless its 80 % track car. Good luck and make sure the machine guy used torque plates and stnd rings with good cylinder hone job, otherwise this motor will consume oil. Good luck.

Last edited by sami85L98; 10-09-2006 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:13 AM
conv90
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Sami. It seems a bit "wild " the cam you selected (if the usage is strictly the street).
I' selecting my custom cam for my 396 (small block -with SR not MR...). 230 intake and 236 exh is the final choice.
If you want to use this large cam you should raise the compression.
with increased compression you can use a larger cam (usually longer duration cams closes the intake valve later than a shorter duration cam). Even with increased compression (probably using flat top pistons with 64 cc chambers you will be in the 10.8:1 c.r.), with this cam you are (IMO) more in the race territory than in the street one.
-Beppe-
Old 10-09-2006, 12:15 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree; too much cam.

Also, the heads are an unknown factor to me. I'd want to know more about them before plopping down the $$. Maybe talk with guys who are running them.

Jake
Old 10-09-2006, 04:25 PM
90Z51
Racer

I'll agree with the "too much cam" line of thinking. Of course the longer stroke and extra cubes will tame the cam a bit, but it's still a little too much duration. If you go with that cam then listen to Sami85L98 and get the 3000+RPM converter.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:14 PM
stubbs
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sami85L98
I agree with both above plus that's a lot a CAM for a street, they listed 2200-6200 rpm but most likley u will see power from 3500 rpm, What rear gears u have ? i would suggest u for 3000 stall TC, i have a 9.5" lockup 3000 stall TC and its my DD. LT headers are a must if u want to see more than 325 Rwhp.
LT1 style exhaust would be nice with an X pipe and 2 Hi flo cats (if emmission required).

Those Heads are fine and looks clean n good, for a cam i would go like 225 I/ 230 E or close to it, but i wont go more than 240 intake or exhaust unless its 80 % track car. Good luck and make sure the machine guy used torque plates and stnd rings with good cylinder hone job, otherwise this motor will consume oil. Good luck.
Sami is your car done now? Believe it or not I actually JUST got my parts from Larry's......................10 months later..........
Now TPiS has started my 383 just this morning actually.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Johnboy3
Instructor

Thanks for the info guys. To answer a couple of questions:

I am ordering one of the balanced kits from Ebay. I currently have the stock gears but I'm planning on changing them to suit the motor once it's in.

I guess I'll go with a little smaller cam. Perhaps a 288HR or 290HR? Long tubes for sure along with a fuel pump upgrade. I was planning on just getting a larger aftermarket throttle body for the intake when I install it.

I'm not extremely worried about keeping streetability perfect. This car only gets driven once or twice every couple of weeks. I plan on getting the wife a newer Vette this spring, so she'll probably never drive this one anymore. So, more power = more gooder.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:50 PM
GeosFun
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know nothing about the heads you are considering. You might want to give the new AFR "Eliminator" head a close look. They are supposed to breath much better in the upper ranges (better than their current and previous head, which are no slouches). The AFR website has a direct comaprison with their AFR195 Street head. Pretty dramatic improvement.

Get notified of new replies

To Could use some input on engine build

Quick Reply: Could use some input on engine build