C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How much extra horsepower will the throttle body gadget bring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

Default How much extra horsepower will the throttle body gadget bring?

Eckler's sells a Power Now Inlet Fairing that improves air flow and supposedly increases horsepower and torque. The ad says: "Gain up to 14 additional horsepower from your 1985-96 Corvete engine with the simple-to-install Power Now inlet fairing. By improving air flow to the idle air solenoid of any tuned port injection engine, the Power Now fairing produces better throttle response and increased torque over your engine's entire RPM range. Your engine will rev easier and even sound better with this fairing in place. Intalls on any late model TPI engine in the first fold of the intake plenum, just ahead of the throttle body, without any additional hardware."

So, if my 1990 six speed Corvette (with performance exhaust) came from the factory with 250 horsepower, how much could this inlet fairing realistically increase the horsepower?

I already have a K&N air filter. How much would the K&N filter increase the horsepower? With the filter and the inlet fairing, how much might this car's horsepower wind up being?

What about the Hypertech Power Chip (Street Runner)? The ad in Eckler's says that will increase horsepower by 20.

With all three items installed, is it conceivable that the horsepower could increase from 250 to 285 or 290? -- Eric
Old 10-04-2006, 11:08 PM
MTVette
Race Director

Received 481 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Photomania
With all three items installed, is it conceivable that the horsepower could increase from 250 to 285 or 290? -- Eric
No. They're useless snake oil. Save your money for real mods.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Years ago,before I had the forum to ask,I tried a bunch of bolt on stuff...nothing ever really works.I later found out the only way to truly gain power is to do engine mods.It is true though,installing headers on an L98 can give you some gain,but thats about it.I wasted alot of money.Been there done that.

Until you do a better camshaft swap,cnc head porting,with a better intake set up,instead of the stock TPI,youre never really going to gain much of anything.

To help explain it better,the TPI system uses Long tube runners...the long runners make good torque,at the expense of peak HP,like say a carb engine or a LT1 manifold/miniram/super ram set up.

So adding a HI Performance chip( or ported maf sensor if equipped),larger TB or other bolt intake duct mods on stuff wont make the HP claims the catalogs tell you it can.It always says "UP to a so and so gain", the key words are Up to.In the real world,youll never feel it or see it.

Its very simple...look at the LT1 engine...look how short the intake manifold is..it makes 300 HP compared to the L98's 250 and the biggest reason is the intake manifold design.Long tube runners cant make peak HP due to its length.No add ons are going to change it much.Sure the LT1 had other mods and improvements,no doubt,but the biggest HP change was the intake manifold.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:08 AM
goldeneye_vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned save your money.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:22 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,019 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

its crap
Old 10-05-2006, 06:28 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill's86Coupe
......the only way to truly gain power is to do engine mods.........Until you do a better camshaft swap,cnc head porting,with a better intake set up,instead of the stock TPI,youre never really going to gain much of anything.
bingo.

most anything else is an excercise in masturbation.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:22 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Save your money, all crap. BUT, the "air foil", "inlet fairing" makes a great paper weight and conversation peice. Everyone always asks me "what the hell is that on your desk"?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:53 AM
jordis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car came with the inlet fairing thing, ive never tried to run it without it, i figure it cant hurt, but i highly doubt it helps any. spend some of that money fixing what is inevitably broken in your stereo, or save up and go cat-back

CJ
Old 10-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 375 Likes on 311 Posts

I watched some turbo guys at the track testing rippled intercooler hoses verus smooth hoses, and there was no gain.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Corvette Chris
Le Mans Master

I like my TB airfoil, but it was free, so I have no reason not to.

I don't think it really adds anything, as many have mentioned. But I have noticed that upon comparison, my L98 seems stronger than some, so who knows.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:47 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

If anything it will decrease power
It is an obstruction to airflow

I think its funny thet an airfoil does the opposite of the tornado and yet both claim added power

Neither does

Reminds me of the commercial I saw this morning for Torque Power motor oil
"No motor oil generates more torque"
What they dont say is that no motor oil generates less torque either
Old 10-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ZR1
Reminds me of the commercial I saw this morning for Torque Power motor oil "No motor oil generates more torque"
how dare you actually employ common sense. the ad-makers
will suffer from such challenges
Old 10-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will give you -3hp.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

http://www.ws6.com/mod-4.htm

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_06...formance_pack/

Interesting data..............One test shows small gains across the rev range -- the other says with the so-called cold air intake and airfoil there is an 8 HP gain -- which does seem a bit more than the cold air intake alone should deliver.

I disagree with the comment that it is an obstruction to airflow. I got one 2nd hand for 10 bucks and installed in 15 minutes -- kinda for fun as I had no expectations. Anyway, if you look at it it does not in any way reduce the size of the TB intake ports, and plausibly could increase velocity as the shape is more aero. It did make me wonder what was GM's logic for the original TB shape?

Obviously I noticed absolutly no SOTP difference. Too bad the vendor won't share the details of their testing to demonstrate the HP gains............
Old 10-05-2006, 12:22 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Sounds like it can only add power at idle.....

Seriously, you can safely figure that any modification will add power at the rate of approximately 1hp/$50.

Spend $25, get half-a-horse. Spend $200, get 4hp. Generally speaking, of course.
You could also easily spend $500 on a bunch of junk and it would take 5hp AWAY!!!

Originally Posted by 94ZR1
Reminds me of the commercial I saw this morning for Torque Power motor oil
"No motor oil generates more torque"
You, 94ZR1, are one of few people who have learned to read between the lines of advertising. Well done and I commend you.

Larry
code5coupe

Last edited by rocco16; 10-06-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:33 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have one I bought years ago. It does no noticible gains and is a waste of money.

i just keep it in because I have it already. I wish I had known about this stuff years ago before I joined the CF to find out it was all a waste (that and my throttle switch thing)
Old 10-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Jerris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waste Of Money

Get notified of new replies

To How much extra horsepower will the throttle body gadget bring?

Old 10-05-2006, 02:53 PM
lite blue
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have one of the original TPIS ones from way back. It has been in an LB9 TA, and '85 Vette, and is now in a '96 Impala SS. Would I buy one today? Probably not. But..... every little bit of increased flow helps. TPIS did a LOT of dyno testing, and found a consistant 5 HP. Not much, obviously. But every little bit...
As has been stated many times, the more modified engines will see more benefit from this.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:04 PM
jodyeastman
Racer

What amazes me is how many aftermarket "experts" sell this product. When looking at engine heads, etc suppliers; if they sell this I often move on. I think even Lingenfilter (forgive spelling) sells it. What's with that? With an excellent reputation, why sell something like this?

Last edited by jodyeastman; 10-05-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:07 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Photomania
Without these three your pocket money could increase by that much x 3.

Quick Reply: How much extra horsepower will the throttle body gadget bring?