C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ASR??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 08:50 PM
Bradley33
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASR??

What exactly is ASR and what does it do? Also why do people say to turn it off to get more power?

Old 09-13-2001, 08:57 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Default Re: ASR?? (Bradley33)

ASR=Accellerated slip regulation(or something like that).
In a word, it's traction control.
I don't know all the details, but there are sensors that detect tire slippage and it will activate the brakes or deccelerate the car or a combination of both. If you see a patch of sand. Stop on it and floor it, you will feel the accelerator pedal push back on your foot.

You turn it off not for more power but for recovery time. You can recover quicker from the tire slippage yourself(assuming you know what you're doing), than letting the ASR turn off..

I'm sure someone else will chime in with additions and corrections to what I've said.
Old 09-13-2001, 09:29 PM
Irish
Intermediate

Default Re: ASR?? (Mr Mojo)

I think Mr. Mojo's description says it all. The first time you make a tight turn and put to much pressure on the gas you will feel the ASR kick in about the same time you feel the backend start to fishtail. The ASR helps keep all that torque under control. If you want to spin doughnuts and burn rubber you'll need to turn the ASR off first. ASR, don't leave home without it for normal street driving.
Old 09-13-2001, 10:36 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: ASR?? (Mr Mojo)

I believe under certain part-throttle conditions, ASR will just apply brake pressure before it needs to close the throttle. I usually turn of the ASR during city driving and that seems to reduce excess brake dust on the rear wheels.
Old 09-13-2001, 10:40 PM
your drinking buddy
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default Re: ASR?? (c4cruiser)

What year C4s have ASR? Does my 1991?
Old 09-14-2001, 12:59 AM
LotusV8
Instructor

Default Re: ASR?? (vettes rule)

What year C4s have ASR? Does my 1991?
'92 and later have ASR

Mike
Old 09-14-2001, 10:00 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: ASR?? (c4cruiser)

I believe under certain part-throttle conditions, ASR will just apply brake pressure before it needs to close the throttle. I usually turn of the ASR during city driving and that seems to reduce excess brake dust on the rear wheels.
I thought I heard that it retards the timing as well, and that makes sense because even after ASR kicks off it still wont accel right for a second.I started turning mine off on all nice days so that I can enjoy the RWD even if the rear starts to kick out just lift throttle and your back to normal also I feel I lost to a lightning because of ASR I forgot to turn off and often in the 1-2 shift under hard accel I "chirp" them well the $%#$@ ASR damn near kicked my foot off the pedal so the F-150 went rollin' by :U :mad
Old 09-14-2001, 01:11 PM
RED90SIXLT1
Advanced

Default Re: ASR?? (Bradley33)

How do you turn it on and off?
Old 09-14-2001, 02:10 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ASR?? (RED90SIXLT1)

There is an ASR button above the headlight switch. It shows a rear of a vette with two skid marks going from the tires. If you push the button, the ASR off light will light on the display. Turning it off allows you to fully use the power and not have the car retard you during acceleration. I only leave it on in heavy rain. It has to be turned off each time the car is started unless it is disconnected. Again it is in '92 and later C4s. I don't know about C5s. It is most pronounced in '92 and after that year due to negative feedback from the system they make it less intrusive and toned it down considerably. Right now, mine will stop me from hitting the gas if I turn a corner and hit a pothole in regular driving. The accelerator will not accept commands for a quarter second or so which when you are driving is a long time.

92TripleBlack
Old 09-14-2001, 07:27 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: ASR?? (92TripleBlack)

mine must be a hold over from the 92's because it(ASR) is pretty aggressive with it's wanting to control what I do on even the slightest imperfect road
Old 09-15-2001, 01:16 AM
Irish
Intermediate

Default Re: ASR?? (Aquaman93)

I must be lucky enough to have a 92 with an ASR that works properly. The ASR responds very fast but disengages just as fast. If the back end of the car starts to lose traction I can feel the ASR reduce throttle pressure for just an instant and then it gives control back to me. If I don’t react by reducing or increasing throttle pressure the ASR does what it needs to do very fast.

Get notified of new replies

To ASR??

Quick Reply: ASR??