C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How hard to pull the gas tank in an 86'?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default How hard to pull the gas tank in an 86'?

Hi all,

I have been told that my simple rusted fuel line, is actually only part of the rust on the line and that the entire line will need replacing which they say will require pulling the fuel tank.

How hard is it to pull the fuel tank? They say very, very hard ( $$$).

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Grease Monkey
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9 Veteran
aka/Trunk Monkey/Banned For Life/Corvette For Life

ive never done it... ijust want to make that claer.

but, from what i can see when i have the rear body panel off the gas tank should not be too hard.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:54 PM
87vette
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Square
Hi all,

I have been told that my simple rusted fuel line, is actually only part of the rust on the line and that the entire line will need replacing which they say will require pulling the fuel tank.

Thanks!
I never done it either but I can't imagine it being that difficult. The way I look at it.. you just drop the spare tire carrier and the gas tank is exposed etc... I would assume everything would be within reach from that point on.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:41 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

The lines run to the top of the tank, hence why the whole rear clip has to come off. Not complicated, but lots of time involved. I'd say a pro with full pro garage is going to spend 4-6 hours off & same back together. Double that for a jack stand mechanic. And if you really barely know what you are doing double again & it'll look all misaligned when you get it back together.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The rear bumper cover must come off. First time I did one I spent 10 hrs to R&R the tank.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:03 PM
87vette
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete K
The rear bumper cover must come off. First time I did one I spent 10 hrs to R&R the tank.
Thats alot of hours!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Unless you're worried about concours original, I'd be damned if I'd pull the tank just to change lines. I'd just run the rubber hoses from the tank a little further and then replumb with steel from there.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:02 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Take the rear bumper off,remove the sway bar,spare tire assembly,lower the rear gas tank body rails by taking some long bolts out,not in that order but it has to come out,then

(I think)you have to lower the rear end carrier out of there to allow the lines to come all the way out.Its been a while since I did it but was an easy but time consuming job at home.I think some of the lines go behind the rear end carrier and up inside a wheel well area...but its been a while.

If you can do most basic jobs at home,it isnt a hard techincal job,just have to remove stuff to get it to clear out of there.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:19 AM
juanathandavid
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done the fuel pump in my 95 blazer twice. The only advice I can give is that it is MUCH EASIER with the tank empty. It took several big guys a handful of hours to help me do it with the tank full the first time. The second time, it was empty and me and a buddy did it in a couple hours (turns out that time, the central port injector was to blame).

So- in my 89 C4, is this the way to change the fuel pump too? remove stuff to get to the tank and then remove it?
Old 09-22-2006, 07:54 AM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Square
Hi all,

Thanks!
Why do you need to drop the tank if all you need is to replace the fuel lines? You can replace the lines without removing the tank. it is easier to relace the existing lines with steel tubing when the gas tank removed. I changed out the fuel line a few years ago because I needed more fuel volume than the stock line could feed. I used braided hose, much simpler and easier to maneuver.

yedi
Old 09-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 376 Likes on 312 Posts

Aye, run new line!
Old 09-22-2006, 03:05 PM
C4CBF
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad and I replaced his tank on his 83 Camaro last weekend and although time consuming, not very hard. My .02
Old 09-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by yedister
Why do you need to drop the tank if all you need is to replace the fuel lines? You can replace the lines without removing the tank. it is easier to relace the existing lines with steel tubing when the gas tank removed. I changed out the fuel line a few years ago because I needed more fuel volume than the stock line could feed. I used braided hose, much simpler and easier to maneuver.

yedi
While thats true,if he's going to replace the lines with prebent ones,then you have to take everything off back there.I took my assembly off because was going to replace with used lines from a junk yard,but turned out after I had everything apart,went braided instead.The used lines were too short and no good inside,rusted etc.

So it depends on which route youre gonna go..if going with braided lines,you can cut the old lines up and remove pieces out and then snake the new hoses up through the back.

That being said,someone asked about replacing the fuel pump on the Vette...thats an easy job,the tank doesnt have to come out.
You simply remove the gas lid door assembly off the decklid and access the tank from the top.The pump is part of the filler neck/assembly unit so it takes less than 30 minutes to take it out.Easiest car I did a pump job on.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:27 PM
juanathandavid
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill's86Coupe
That being said,someone asked about replacing the fuel pump on the Vette...thats an easy job,the tank doesnt have to come out.
You simply remove the gas lid door assembly off the decklid and access the tank from the top.The pump is part of the filler neck/assembly unit so it takes less than 30 minutes to take it out.Easiest car I did a pump job on.
NICE
Old 09-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys,

Soory for the delay in replying, I have been out of town. All I want is fuel lines that do not leak! I don't care if they are braided or solid. If it is possible to have a new hybrid line made of part braided/part solid line, then I am completely ok with that!

Some folks were saying that if I don't mind cutting the lines, then they can be removed without removing the tank. Any tips on what must come off the car to do this?

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To How hard to pull the gas tank in an 86'?

Quick Reply: How hard to pull the gas tank in an 86'?