C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Please Help DTC Error 22 low tps, ASR related?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:59 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Please Help DTC Error 22 low tps, ASR related?

On the way home today I received a check engine and an error ASR light. I believe it was shortly after I turned off the ASR. I also lost 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears at that time. I am getting DTC error code 22 low TPS when I pull codes with datamaster TTS. There are no trans codes and it was rebuilt last year. I pulled off the TPS and reinstalled. I checked the TPS wires. I pushed the button and checked/adjusted the throttle cable coming from the ASR but I am not sure how to adjust this or which way to pull it. Datamaster is reading .63volts at 0% throttle from the TPS when idling. I plan on going to NAPA in the morning and buying another TPS just to try but I am doubting this will fix the problem. I believe it is only occuring after I turn off the ASR. I am lost. If it is only happening when ASR is turned off what could be causing this?

Thank in advance
Old 09-09-2006, 09:22 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

I was reading other threads on similar issues. Could this have anything to do with the TV cable/adjustment? Thats not the cable I was adjusting, is it? Again the only code I am receiving is 22 low tps when ASR is turned off. Well I do have code 32 egr but thats because I have headers and the holes are plugged.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2006, 11:17 AM
vetteracer92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds familiar, as mine is acting the same way( even with 3 different tps sensors. Hopefully someone has an idea.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:20 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vetteracer92
This sounds familiar, as mine is acting the same way( even with 3 different tps sensors. Hopefully someone has an idea.
Great! Not that you are having a problem but that I am not the only one. Pleaes keep me up to date. I don't know how much longer I can take having the ASR on all the time. Maybe I've angered the automotive gods by driving reckless on occasion. I don't know or think that it's related but I received the check ASR light last weekend also when I left my data cable plugged in but with no laptop attached. Unplugging the cable turned it off and it did not act up at all. This was a week before I had any issues. I hope someone will eventually jump in with the answer.

Thanks
Old 09-09-2006, 06:39 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Update:

I took it for another drive a little while ago. It would not shift into 2nd, 3rd, or 4th again. This time ASR was left on, so I guess that may not have anything to do with it. I also had no ASR codes or check engine this time. I pulled over and the idle was to high at 1000rpm while in park. I then stopped the car. I pushed the button and adjusted the ASR cable in the opposite direction and moved a spark plug wire that has been arching for the last two weeks. I just got the wire looms today to fix that issue. It then started and ran for another 20 miles but it still ran rough with very poor power/acceleration. I noticed when I kill the engine a clicking noise coming from what appears to be the optispark area for a few seconds after. It's a clicking that sounds like something spinning coming to a stop. Whether it is an issue with the Opti or related to something else I don't know. It is the original Opti with 80k miles and I just changed the coil to an MSD a few weeks ago. I've read of someone else with an opti going bad after an MSD/high performance coil install. Any ideas? I'll have to put it in the shop on Monday if I can't get it straight, since it's my daily driver.

Thanks

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 09-09-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:49 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

I drove it for the past two days with no warning lights and all gears working. I think something is still wrong. The acceleration is not right. When the pedal is half down the engine has a pulsing feel to it. It feels similar to when the cat was blocked and the engine was being choked. That is definately not the case since there are no more converters on the car. I'm thinking it's ignition, ASR, or throttle related, from all the symptoms metioned in above posts. Any way ttt for the Monday morning people with nothing better to do at work. Today at lunch I will take a ride to the dealership to see if they have a TPS sensor in stock. I will also ask them about what could be wrong.

Thanks

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 09-11-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

I just returned from the dealership. I installed the new TPS in the parking lot. On the way home at about 68 on the interstate I would give it about 40% more throttle and it was pulsing and felt like I was going over train tracks. Maybe it is ASR related. There was also a very noticable loss of power. After I got off the interstate the Service Engine light came on and I lost 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. The only way it would shift is if I kept going up to about 3500 RPM then let off. When I let off it would jerk and shift into the next gear. When I got to the parking lot it glided forward with no gas at about 1100 RPM in drive. It would have kept goin forward if I had not hit the brakes. I put it in park and it stayed reving at 1100 RPM which is way off from the typical 600 RPM at idle. This is driving me nuts. At least the stymptoms seem to be pretty consistant now. Is everyone asleep out there? j/jk I will keep updating if I find out anything new.

Thanks

Edit: I forgot to mention threre were instructions in the box with the new TPS. It said to use something called a Tech tool to get the computer to relearn the throttle position. I asked a service manager about this and he said they have never had to do that on an LT1. He said it should learn it automaticly. If this was something that needs to be done that could be the problem. I recently replaced the TB and I did not reset anything. Does anyone know about this? How can I reset it without that tool.

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 09-11-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:24 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Update: Problem fixed by the dealership. I tried a new TPS and that did not fix the problem. It was the wiring harness that plugs into the TPS that was shorting out. The nitrous management unit connects into a wire on the TPS harnes to sense when to activate the N20 at WOT. The connector was the type that clamps over and cuts into the wire. That is most likely where the problem was occuring. The entire TPS wiring harness was replaced. Now that I am finally getting 100% throttle I am worried about putting the nitrous back on. Until I get back to the installer or figure out a better connection I'm going to use the N/A tune for a while and stay off the N20.

Last edited by rickneworleansla; 09-17-2006 at 09:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Please Help DTC Error 22 low tps, ASR related?

Quick Reply: Please Help DTC Error 22 low tps, ASR related?