C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Carisle; Exhaust Dissapointments

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 12:52 PM
ittybittyfds
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Carisle; Exhaust Dissapointments

i went to carisle this weekend to get my exhaust details and opinions.
and to my surprise 4 of the big boy exhaust manufacturers were there doing free installs
so i got to hear first hand
Magnaflow, Borla, Bassani, & corsa

IMO
i was real dissapointed with the way these systems sounded.
the Borla was the nicest sounding of the bunch but it was still lacking the low Growl.
Corsa sounded very bad. it almost had a crackle sound to it and when i found out the the 2nd tip on the mufflers is just for looks and non functioning i knew that wasnt the kit i wanted.
Bassani sounded a little better then stock (but not much)
Magnaflow was a complete surprise to me. It was the quitest system of all even when it was reved it was quiet.

i only wish flowmaster was there. however all the flowmaster kits i saw seemed to have the same problem.. The tips look to be about 1-2 inches to long on the C4 vettes.

i saw the power effects systems and heard a low rev on it. not enough to make my mind up.

it looks like i might just have to go with the flowmaster kit from TPiS and saw the ends of and put some nice tips on.

anyways
theres my input
Old 08-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got magnaflows and trust me its plenty loud.....idle is relatively tame, but any throttle at all and it literally comes alive.

One point to keep in mind: loudness is something that you'll eventually grow weary of. Its might seem cool to the onlooker at the moment, but what you don't realize is that the driver is paying for it after its been installed for quite some time, and paying hard.

I'm alot more deaf than I was 2 years ago. There's no question about it.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Although it appears not to be, both tips are indeed functional on the Corsa mufflers. What Hot Rod 90 says about noise is true, too. Most will tire of it at some point. The PE system may indeed be the one for you though, at least it's adjustable. I've got one but don't currently have it on the car. Right now I have a stock LT4 system on sans the resonator. It sounds pretty good but is far from overbearing and there's no resonance of course. I put it on because I hope to take a couple of long trips in her before the summer's over. I've also got some Corsa stuff coming that I'm going to try out. The PE system is among the best bolt-on systems I've heard on a C4. I always got many compliments about how mean it sounded when the engine was hard at work or even just cruising.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:11 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

people judge these exhausts by the tone outside the car. With a C4, the key is the resonance INSIDE the car. And trust me, the Corsa system is plenty nice on that account... the nicest of them all.

get over the partially functioning tip and stuff, it's all about quality and flow, and the Corsa has both.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:20 PM
86VX1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had the borlas and magnaflows, the borla xr1's were too raspy, the magnaflow was not loud at all ( i did like the quality for the price though), since then i went back to flowmasters.

sounds like you are a flowmaster kind of guy.

realize too that if you have the stock exhaust manifolds and the stock precats and main cat, they will tend to quiet down any exhaust that you put on there. i run full lenght headers, all the way back to flowmasters.

a lot of people gripe about the resonance that flowmasters have, i happen to like it.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:41 PM
89Corvette6spdFX3
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got my Corsa on and I love it! Nice and quiet at idle and mean at WOT! I was going under a very low and tight overpass and revved it really good. It scared the people who were walking under there. I also heard one of them say, "D#$* that sounds good!"

New System!

Old system.

Last edited by 89Corvette6spdFX3; 08-28-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:57 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I can guarentee that my setup with Corsa's and LT headers is far from quiet. It will wake the dead if you get on it under an overpass. The key is no resonance at cruise. The sound is different in and out of the car for all the systems. If you are listening to cars with similar setups to what you eventually want, then the comparo is ok, but it means little otherwise. When I put the headers on with bullet cats the car has a whole new sound.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:01 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by 89Corvette6spdFX3
I've got my Corsa on and I love it! Nice and quiet at idle and mean at WOT! I was going under a very low and tight overpass and revved it really good. It scared the people who were walking under there. I also heard one of them say, "D#$* that sounds good!"

[Edit] Dang, I thought I had changed my signature pic but it's my old system. I'm at work and can't log onto photobucket to post my new pic. I'll do it tonight.]
It's ok, the little baby is real cute!
Old 08-28-2006, 06:55 PM
ittybittyfds
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

i hope i didnt **** anybody off with this thread
i just recently baught my vette and the first major update i need to do is exhaust.
i want the right sound FOR ME .(thats LOUD)
its not a daily driver its my weekend toy i want a low rumble at idle and a hollow sound WOT
i posted this thread because i continue to see people like me trying to make up there mind on what system to get

i heard 4 of them first hand on the c5 vettes
only telling my opinion

take it for what its worth
Old 08-28-2006, 06:56 PM
TM-Z06
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Were these installs on an L98? Or an LT1/4?

I can tell you, my Bassani exhaust sounds absolutley NOTHING like a stock C4. When I fire it up, it shakes some of the things in my house.

If these were on a C5......that's not a good comparison. You need to hear the exhausts on a C4 - they all sound completely different
Old 08-28-2006, 08:25 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
I've got magnaflows and trust me its plenty loud.....idle is relatively tame, but any throttle at all and it literally comes alive.

One point to keep in mind: loudness is something that you'll eventually grow weary of. Its might seem cool to the onlooker at the moment, but what you don't realize is that the driver is paying for it after its been installed for quite some time, and paying hard.

I'm alot more deaf than I was 2 years ago. There's no question about it.
Me too.....earplugs have become standard apparel when in my car....no way I or anyone could live with the B&B resonance....hope to save what hearing I have left..

Old 08-28-2006, 08:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by LT4BUD
Me too.....earplugs have become standard apparel when in my car....no way I or anyone could live with the B&B resonance....hope to save what hearing I have left..

I understand what the OP, ittybitty, is trying to achieve. I also fully understand the above two posts of LT4 and Hot Rod.

I used to ride around in a friend's '65 sidepiped car. Until we went for a long ride, I didn't understand why he kept putting in ear plugs every time he got in the car. I was temporarily deaf after riding in the car for a few hours. Never again.

I like loud, too, but I test drove one that at 30 mph, I couldn't even hear what the owner was saying to me, and he was shouting! Wish you luck, itty. I SAID I WISH YOU LUCK!!!!!!

[j/k, not making fun of you.]
Old 08-28-2006, 08:57 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ittybittyfds
i hope i didnt **** anybody off with this thread
i just recently baught my vette and the first major update i need to do is exhaust.
i want the right sound FOR ME .(thats LOUD)
its not a daily driver its my weekend toy i want a low rumble at idle and a hollow sound WOT
i posted this thread because i continue to see people like me trying to make up there mind on what system to get

only telling my opinion

take it for what its worth

Sounds like you want a high flow cat and muffler eliminators. It'll make the Corsas sound like a silent fart.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:18 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Sounds like you want a high flow cat and muffler eliminators. It'll make the Corsas sound like a silent fart.
Yeah and stinky too blame it on the cat

get the elims and be done with it
Old 08-28-2006, 09:23 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

you cant compare the l98 exhaust sound to a c5's - if you heard a c5 with the flowmaster you'd be disappointed.

you want to hear and see a sheit load of different c4 exhausts? come to Englishtown for a Corvette Challenge event - this Saturday is one

Old 08-28-2006, 09:31 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

When it comes to exhaust. It seems whatever is on the owner's vehicle is the best sounding. I think it's funny!

"I think Magnaflow is the best"-Magnaflow owner.
"I think Borla is the best"-Borla owner.
"Flowmaster has the best sound".-Flowmaster owner.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:30 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
When it comes to exhaust. It seems whatever is on the owner's vehicle is the best sounding. I think it's funny!

"I think Magnaflow is the best"-Magnaflow owner.
"I think Borla is the best"-Borla owner.
"Flowmaster has the best sound".-Flowmaster owner.
Exception to every rule...

I have B&B.......it is the WORST!!!!! Resonance is absurd....don't even think about buying from B&B.....

Get notified of new replies

To Carisle; Exhaust Dissapointments

Old 08-29-2006, 01:21 AM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

How about Muff Elims: http://media.putfile.com/Muff-elimin...mission-hooked

Emmission legal with Cat Hooked, is this loud enough for ya?.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:44 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

i was real dissapointed with the way these systems sounded.
the Borla was the nicest sounding of the bunch but it was still lacking the low Growl.
Corsa sounded very bad. it almost had a crackle sound to it and when i found out the the 2nd tip on the mufflers is just for looks and non functioning i knew that wasnt the kit i wanted.
Bassani sounded a little better then stock (but not much)
Magnaflow was a complete surprise to me. It was the quitest system of all even when it was reved it was quiet.

Oh you mean Corsa has a "fake" tip?? Here is a nice pic

I have Borlas with TPIS headers, 3 in y-pipe, no cats. This system is not too loud, it sounds good though.

I want a deeper sound so I have picked up some B&Bs and I just need to put them on. I have some issues I need to address first

Old 08-29-2006, 11:04 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is my "91" L98 Corsa video proving the outer tips are not fake.

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...stTipVideo.flv

Quick Reply: Carisle; Exhaust Dissapointments