C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 03:45 PM
CORVETTE MIKE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1

I have a auto 94 vette ,whats the best NOS kit ,and what are the prices?and how much hrp. do you get.
Old 09-05-2001, 04:57 PM
Stan A
Racer

Default Re: Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1 (CORVETTE MIKE)

From Experience, I can say that the best NOS is no NOS at all. More than 70% of the time, most user develop engine related problem which can led to expensive damages (premature engine wear is one). I said most not all. Like anything, if you over use it, it will give you problems. NOS has proven to harmful to most engine setups over long term useage.

Remember, if the manufacturer intended for the owner to increase his cars hp by 100 to 200hp, he would have built the car to handle it. If you plan to make changes to your engine and drive train to handle this additional power and you use it wisely and properly then you can expect reasonable return without problems. Most people see this as a cheap source of power. It starts out that way but in many cases it leds to many extra dollars spent on repairs in the long run.

David F and I have seen the results over the years in the way of damages and its not pretty. This is one product that needs to be used very carefully.

There are many other ways to increase power and performance for the LT1 setup that are safe. I would try these first.

This is our option based on experiences. I am sure there people who will disagree.

Good Luck,

Stan A
David F :chevy
Old 09-05-2001, 05:06 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1 (Stan A)

Stan... You said it ALL !! I agree 100%

Sure I'd like to go 11.48 instead of 12.48... but I want to still be able to drive my car next year this time ;)

for those who have their mind MADE UP... I dont think there is much use in trying to talk em out of it...
Old 09-05-2001, 05:21 PM
LPDesRoche
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think anyone has answered the question that was asked. So here goes the best kit on the market hands down right now is the Nitrous Express kit. Not sure on the price it varies with distributor. Do a search for it and you will find many prices all over the web. NOS also offers a dry kit for you car which has been used with many positive results. For the most part its a personal preference as to which one you want.

Old 09-05-2001, 06:59 PM
jimbjr
Pro

Default Re: Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1 (LPDesRoche)

I did a lot of reading before deciding on wet or dry, I ended up with wet. I had the Nitrous Works kit with a plate behind the throttle body. I was running with a 150 shot. I swithed it out for the Nitrous Express kit and a 100 shot.

I couldn't be more please! I thought I was wasting my money going from one to the other and almost cancelled the install but it hits much harder and is much smoother through the rpm's. I believe the difference is from better atomization. In either case I might be putting on a progressive controller to ease the shock on the engine.

Jim
Old 09-05-2001, 08:28 PM
jpee
Race Director

Default Re: Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1 (jimbjr)

Here is an example... NOS not ALWAYS the answer....

Sig..

1992 Coupe, M6, Ripper Shifter (w/Momo), Pro Cooler, Muffler eliminators, X-Pipe, Cut lid K&N, 4.09's, 100hp shop NX Kit, window switch, MSD 6a, A Pillar dual gauge pod, A/F gauge, nitrous gauge, AFS 11" 5 Star Rims, Harlan shift light, lowered, GS Calipers, DRM bias spring, Ceramix pads, Eradispeed rotors, SS lines.
No Juice: 281rwhp, 321rwtq - 13.15 @ 106
w/ Juice: 377rwhp, 495rwtq - 12.55 @ 110
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12.55 ON THE NO2 !! ... I've run 12.48 @ 108.9 without removing the valve covers..Stock Motor...!
Not.. flaming !! :cheers: But just trying to make a point...
Old 09-05-2001, 08:33 PM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nitrous Express is a very well engineered kit and if used properly, can take your car to a whole new level.

There are always risks in life. You can either sit on the porch, or you can play with the big dogs!
Old 09-05-2001, 09:02 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1 (Red96Coupe)

Here is an example... NOS not ALWAYS the answer....

Sig..

1992 Coupe, M6, Ripper Shifter (w/Momo), Pro Cooler, Muffler eliminators, X-Pipe, Cut lid K&N, 4.09's, 100hp shop NX Kit, window switch, MSD 6a, A Pillar dual gauge pod, A/F gauge, nitrous gauge, AFS 11" 5 Star Rims, Harlan shift light, lowered, GS Calipers, DRM bias spring, Ceramix pads, Eradispeed rotors, SS lines.
No Juice: 281rwhp, 321rwtq - 13.15 @ 106
w/ Juice: 377rwhp, 495rwtq - 12.55 @ 110
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12.55 ON THE NO2 !! ... I've run 12.48 @ 108.9 without removing the valve covers..Stock Motor...!
Not.. flaming !! :cheers: But just trying to make a point...

John, will you forget it!!!!
Most people are will to do what is necessary to go fast with a stock motor like us.
Yes, nitrous will make you go fast without even knowing what a spark plus is. If thats what they want to do let them. To each his own. :blueangel:
Old 09-05-2001, 09:03 PM
Red Rocket
Drifting

396 NA Stroker Motor. 11.4 at 126MPH in the 1/4 mile is the best NOS upgrade available.
Old 09-05-2001, 09:46 PM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Re: Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1 (Red Rocket)

An interesting link : http://home.ican.net/~jsetter/nitrous.html
Old 09-05-2001, 10:00 PM
jimbjr
Pro

Default Re: Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1 (Red96Coupe)

John has a very good point. You have to decide what your needs are.

If you want to be a competitive bracket racer, than you must start practicing. You need to get every tenth out of your car possible (John and Mackey). When you have done that and would like to still go faster, you dip into the engine (Mackey). This will give you the experience (John and Mackey) and the consistancy (engine work, not nitrous).

If you don't have the time to make it to the track but once a year (if I'm lucky, haven't gone this year yet) and you need the extra power for the occassional race on the street or just ot enjoy the power than nitrous could be the answer. The 1/4 mile times posted by the bracket kings (John and Mackey again) are just that, bracket racing times. The outcome of a street race from a roll would be quite different with John ;). Maybe not with Mackey :blueangel:

You need to be careful though, there was a 396 engine built to the nines (I believe it was Vette92) spraying nitrous, & did quite a bit of engine damage, and the car was built MUCH stronger than stock.
Old 09-05-2001, 10:14 PM
jpee
Race Director

jimbjr..

Quote:

>>The 1/4 mile times posted by the bracket kings (John and Mackey again) are just that, bracket racing times. The outcome of a street race from a roll would be quite different with John . Maybe not with Mackey <<

You right on!! ;) I wouldn't stand a chance from a roll... Mackey yes... I'm set up to run "CONSISTENT" not necessarily FAST.. As Mackey had suggested to me, I got bigger tires (28") and yup I slowed down by .10 but in two consecutive $$ races I made to to the final, & they PAY$$ ... thats what counts to me ;)

Old 09-05-2001, 10:26 PM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Another interesting Nitrous link: http://www.enhancedhealth.com/nitrousexpress.htm

Old 09-05-2001, 10:28 PM
Chris@SD
Safety Car

Default Re: Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1 (mackeyred96)

John, will you forget it!!!!
Most people are will to do what is necessary to go fast with a stock motor like us.
Yes, nitrous will make you go fast without even knowing what a spark plus is. If thats what they want to do let them. To each his own. :blueangel:
They better know what a spark plug is! You need to drop at least one heat range on you plugs to run nitrous saftly! ;) ;)
Old 09-05-2001, 10:38 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1 (mackeyred96)

Nitrous has it place. I will be doing a big cube short block in the future that will handle Nitrous without Puking it's inner all over the road.
Remember, Julio of Cartek knows Nitrous systems. He did the Nitrous and wiring on Pat Musi Outlaw Pro Street Firebird.
Old 09-06-2001, 01:40 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1 (2FST4U)

You can either sit on the porch, or you can play with the big dogs!
WOOF! :lol:

396 engine built to the nines (I believe it was Vette92) spraying nitrous, & did quite a bit of engine damage, and the car was built MUCH stronger than stock.
Not sure about the nines, but it is currently being built much stronger than it was and with specific Nitrous pistons this time, and yes it was stronger than stock before too!

[Modified by Vette92, 11:45 AM 9/6/2001]
Old 09-06-2001, 01:53 PM
jpee
Race Director

Default Re: Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1 (Vette92)

:bb Guess I'll sit on the porch... I'm still learning how to cut a light.. my problem is I :sleep: too much... those .550 wont get me very far this Sunday at the Bracket Magazine Nationals..

BUT I do enjoy playing with the "Big Dogs" :D

[Modified by Red96Coupe, 12:55 PM 9/6/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1

Old 09-06-2001, 02:18 PM
lcvette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1 (Vette92)

i for one have thought both routes, Chris can vouch for it i had spoken with him after i got destroyed by a nitrous sprasying muystang on the street, at the time i was running a 13.8@102 at the track and this guy pounced on me (embarassing) this was me as he went by me ---> :cuss not a happy camper and then he showed me what he had, a bunch of blue and red fittings and a couple of solenoids and some shiney silver lines running throughout his engine compartment. i went home after talking with him and was hot for nitrous. then as a few days passed and i thought more and more about it and started adding up how much it would cost to do nitrous the way i felt comfortable with it, i started also researching for the same amount of money what i could do to the motor to make it faster. came up with everything in my signature (i ported and polished my own heads and intake) many trips to "the man" to verify what i inteded to polish, remove and debur would be beneficial, well he was impressed with my finished work and flowed my heads for me, ready 269 cfm after he threw a 5 angle valve job on them and opened the valve throat to his own specs, this out of self ported stock LT1 heads and about 50 hours of extremely nit-picky work. but although i put way more time into the heads then was worth, i think i walked away richer for the experience and pride from accomplishing somehting and learning something new. the next set i do will be much faster now that i have worked out all the tricks and know right where to go to get the meat of the benefit from the job... 59 bucks standard abrasives kit, next time i will order it with an extra set of cross buffs!! and get a metal cutting bit. my ports were so off that the sanding rolls took forever!

sorry back to the point. now that i installed a cam, opti, upgraded the water pump, headers etc.. i feel like im a new playing level with my motor, and i have grown to appreciate the design of everything in it! now i am planning once this girl of mine is back togetehr this weekend to take it easy then track test her on thursday. after that i will wait until the thrill has subsided and the bawnk has recouped from the modificastion expense and then in go the forged pistons, colder plugs, jacobs ignition and nitrous master mind and a 150 shot of nitrous express kit! this will not be used all the time, but when i deem it "required" i do not bracket race, i race heads up on test and tune nights, and i like to go fast! so heres my reco..... get intimate with your motor, cam, head work, or new heads, clean it inspect everything very carefully, build an appreciation for the motor beforwe you plug the juice in, and i gaurantee you will enjoy you vetting experience much more then if you simply put the juice on you stocker.. not to mention it will be the difference of running mid 12's and running mid 11's if you do it right!

to answer the question: from my research, and this is from a safety perspective, i would go with a wet kit from nitrous express, a jacobs ignition system and their nitrous master mind.
http://www.jacobselectronics.com/pro...ntrols/nmm.htm
here is the link to look at it. this will help you safely implement the nitrous with your motor and drop the chance of harming something. it incorporate sseveral great features like timing retard, flow metering to ease the nitrous in and make it last longer though the run, rev limiter, safety rev limiter shut of aswitch to keep the N2O from building up if your car hit the limiter, fuel pressure safety switch, and also acts as a windopw switch to allow you to set when you want the nitrous to start and how hard you want it to hit, this is a big plus for traction issues. so if your going to do it, do it safely and understand why your doing each of these things. i would speak with Chris from Speed demon on the nitrous works kit and call Jacobs electronics and talk with them, they are very helpful there and do not mind helping you plan your system. oh course, this is to be taken as my own opinion on the route to take, others have used nitrous for a while and have developed their own tried and true systems and can also be of great help. i just wanted to share my research and time to maybe help anyone one of you guys out! good luck with it and sorry for the book!!

latyer
chris
:smash: :cheers:
Old 09-06-2001, 02:23 PM
CORVETTE MIKE
Racer

I just want it for around town,,and car shows,, i think it looks intiminating at car shows when you see the botle sitting in the back.
Old 09-06-2001, 05:45 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I just want it for around town,,and car shows,, i think it looks intiminating at car shows when you see the botle sitting in the back.
Those are the kind of statements that make me bite my tounge. :blueangel: :blueangel: :blueangel:

Quick Reply: Whats the best Nitrous Kit out there for the LT1