C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cruise control problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 08:24 PM
chb88
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control problems

When I recently replaced the brake booster on a 94 LT1 6 speed, now the cruise control doesn't work. Checked the fuse, ok. Checked the cruise control servo for leaks, none. I can not find a vaccumn issue, and electrically it is continuous between the 1st, 3rd, and 5th positions. It is also continuous between the 2nd and 4th positions.
I am thinking either the clutch or brake switch but I have no clue how to adjust. Does anyone have a procedure how to adjust these?
All help appreciated
Old 07-31-2006, 01:11 AM
89Corvette6spdFX3
Safety Car

Old 07-31-2006, 08:11 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

There are two switches on the brake pedal, one is for brake lights and the other is for the cruise as you probably already know. These switches slide fairly easy inside their bracket and you probably raised the pedal too high when replacing the booster and pushed the switch away from the pedal. Adjust the switch so the plunger is almost completely depressed. This should get the cruise working again BUT make sure the brake lights are working properly too, that switch is mounted the same way. You may have to do some fine tuning of both switch positions to get it right again.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:04 AM
neat
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Try holding the 'set/accel' slide switch to the right (llike you were trying to set the cruise with it) for 5-10 seconds and see if the cruise activates.

Mine was acting funny after a PCM removal, clutch swap, and brake fluid change. I did as you did and checked fuses and continuity at the plug, all seemed OK. One night I held the switch out of frustration on the highway. After 10 seconds of holding it, the system activated and has worked fine ever since.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:48 PM
chb88
Instructor

It was the brake pedel switch, not sure whitch one, but it works. I figured it out going to work this AM, I pulled up on the brake pedel with my foot and pressed the set button and it worked. That told me the switch was not being depressed enough by the brake pedel. Did the underdash switch adjustment and all's good
Thanks for the help
Old 08-02-2006, 02:15 PM
zoro
Pro

thanks for sharing the fix
Old 08-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Wildcat1
Racer

Originally Posted by zoro
thanks for sharing the fix
No doubt. Mine hasn't been working for a few months and now I know why.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Lichen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neat
Try holding the 'set/accel' slide switch to the right (llike you were trying to set the cruise with it) for 5-10 seconds and see if the cruise activates.

Mine was acting funny after a PCM removal, clutch swap, and brake fluid change. I did as you did and checked fuses and continuity at the plug, all seemed OK. One night I held the switch out of frustration on the highway. After 10 seconds of holding it, the system activated and has worked fine ever since.
Thanks, neat. I tried that this morning and after about 7 seconds it started working!

Get notified of new replies

To Cruise control problems

Quick Reply: Cruise control problems